New headphones needed, I think.

idc

The sound from my headphone set up was very poor last night. There has always been slight distortions from zingy treble anyway, but it has become clear with most music. On a Radiohead track, instead of a bass drum thump I just got what sounded like a movement of air with no thump at all. Probelm is, I am not sure it is the Grado headphones. I plugged my little Sennheiser buds in and they sounded fine (with the slight distortions on zingy treble again). I then tried the Grados straight into the ipod and they sound OK (but the ipod does not have sufficient power to drive them) but the distortions had gone. So, could the problem be with the MF amp instead?

Any thoughts and experiences with the similar problems would be most appreciated. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

From the actions that you have taken swapping stuff around it does seem to point towards the amp. You could always take your phones and cd to a friends and try there but it doess appear at first glance to be the amp.

idc

Thanks for the response Raym87. I took my headphones and my ipod round to the parents and they sounded fine. It was as I was unplugging the ipod with its cable from the amp that I noticed when I was cleaning contacts a couple of weeks ago I had plugged the ipod into the Line out on the amp doh!
emotion-10.gif

I did not think that it would work with the Line out, but it did. I now have the ipod plugged into the Line in and it sounds fine. Have I had a lucky escape or could the amp be damaged?

A

Anonymous

Hey idc,

Don't think you will have any issues with your amp there icd if it had been damaged you would most certainly know about it from when you turn it on and play a track.

But if your looking for new new headphones the new Senhisers and Denons are very very good!

Regards

Nick

idc

Thanks Nick, you are right, eveything is fine, pheew
emotion-2.gif

PS - Grado; far superior to Sennheiser and Denon, though the wife disagrees and wants me to get sound cancelling Bose ones!

matthewpiano

My favourite cans are my Beyer Dynamic DT770PROs. I've got Sennheiser HD595s and they aren't nearly as good. The Beyers are just incredibly musical cans. I've not heard any Denons but I'm not taken with Grados. All down to personal taste at the end of the day.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts