AMP recommnendations for HD599

angelmf2704

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
Hello, a few days ago I received my Sennheiser HD599 SE. They were only 100 dollars, I have heard wonderful things about them from people I know. I have made dumb decisions before, for example I thought using MQA with Sony's WH-1000XM3 was the best thing since they were both Hi Res (not horrible but definitely not HIFI). I wanted to say that because I'm only 17 and relatively new to this.. My first experiences with the headphones were pretty nice, the soundstage felt very wide, detailed and good vocals. Before this, I had the HD 560s. They sounded great but not the best suit for me, they were a little bit piercing and couldn't listen to them for more than 15 minutes. My actual setup is: HD599 SE, Tidal and Qobuz (still deciding), Hiby FC1. The problem is I think the HD599's potential is limited due to the AMP. There is a lack of body and the treble doesn't felt as refined. I understand that this headphones aren't the best sounding but I really think I could improve them. So I have some options and I would like to hear your opinions.

Option
-Buy a LG V30 and used as a DAP (200 dollars)
-Get and iFi Zen DAC (200 dollars)
-Get a Monolith Liquid Spark and buy a 3.5 jack to RCA adapter. (105 dollars)
-Buy a Dragonfly Red (200 dollars)
-Hiby R3 Pro (200 dollars)

I really don't mind portability, since I would be using them in my desk. My only requirements are: more power and better highs (softer and not piercing). If there is a better option tell me please.

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Hello

This has been rather interesting for me to research into. I've made the assumption that your budget is around $200. After abit of research, I have made a shortlist....though with caveats attached.

The first 3 are considered Desktop/portable:

- Fiio New K3
- Ifi Zen Dac V2 (Supports MQA)
- Aune X1S

Whilst all the above support your mix of DSD and 32 bit audio etc. The Ifi Zen Dac V2 is the only one that supports MQA. I've only managed to find analytical reviews of the Aune X1S up to this point (the Fiio and Ifi being new versions of popular products). The Original Fiio K3 tested pretty well but was questions on the initial Ifi Zen DAC. However their look to be considerable upgrades on both the new K3 and Ifi Zen Dac V2, so the jury on those is very much out until they are put through an Analyzer. Below are the original analytical reviews from ASR:

If you are after something that that gives you your USB connection for standard WSAPI PCM output, you cannot go wrong with the below combo. I'd suggest Black over Silver ;)

- Schiit Modi3+ $99
- Schiit Magni Heresy $99

If you are able to push your budget out and want your cake and eat it with DSD/MQA etc. with a high performance DAC and Decent Amp combo with multiple connectivity and output options and future flexibility, then the best budget all round option right now would be:

Topping EX5 $350 (purchaseable from Shenzenaudio only)

You can find lots of other reviews on the above devices, but i've referenced these here for the performance analysis.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Reactions: ThisIsJimmy

angelmf2704

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
I forgot to mention. I live in Mexico so everything is going to be 30% more expensive. The ifi Zen DAC in my country is sold for 300 dollars. The Schitt combo seems nice but I will be maybe 50% more expensive. I have used Aliexpress and it has worked really good, maybe my best option is the R3 Pro Saber. I was also thinking in the Fiio E10K.

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Another alternative if you only want a 3.5mm jack portable device option is the Limsoul E1DA 9038D.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts