New floorstanders for Caspian

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Looking to replace my B&W 603s3 and am drawing up listening list, I am sure all will be fabulous and down to my ears but would appreciate any suggestions.I am using qed revelation cable at present mainly listening to older rock reggae soul some jazz and little classical.

List so far to audition B&W 684,CM8, MA gs20 and 60, Spendor A5 and 6, ProAc 140mk.2, Dynaudio xcite 32.

Have heard the 684 already and loved them and have heard cm8 with Naim amps and wasn't thrilled but keep getting told they wiil sound fabulous with the Caspian.

Thanks for anyones considerations.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
In order to make a recommendation - what did you think of the speakers you've heard so far? Did you hear them in the same system at the sane dealer, or in fpdifferent places?

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Have only heard 684 with caspian so far and really liked them, heard cm8 in two different rooms but with Naim xs not caspian and was a little dissappointed but have been advised will be a different proposition with the caspian.

Have not heard the others as yet, was hoping to do some demos this week,

Thanks

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You should add the KEF Q900's to that list too - good list.

I wouldn't say that the B&W's really go very well with Naim, so make sure you hear the CM8's with your intended amplifier (that goes for any other speaker too) as the amplifier and speaker pairing is the most important one in any system.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi

Thanks for that, will give them a listen, may come visit as struggling to find someone who stocks all the list. I am in North London and looking at 3 seperate sessions to hear all .

Shanka:
Hi,

Looking to replace my B&W 603s3 and am drawing up listening list, I am sure all will be fabulous and down to my ears but would appreciate any suggestions.I am using qed revelation cable at present mainly listening to older rock reggae soul some jazz and little classical.

List so far to audition B&W 684,CM8, MA gs20 and 60, Spendor A5 and 6, ProAc 140mk.2, Dynaudio xcite 32.

Have heard the 684 already and loved them and have heard cm8 with Naim amps and wasn't thrilled but keep getting told they wiil sound fabulous with the Caspian.

Hi Shanka

I would recommend that you also consider ATC's superb SCM40 monitors. The Roksan Caspian M2 combination works well with the SCM40's and i've got clients happily using this combination
emotion-1.gif

Fwiw, i feel SCM40's are probably the finest VFM speakers currently available on the market regardless of price.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for that one Rick, just had a quick look and may be over budget unless they are truly stunning and have to reconsider, not for the first time tho' my cd/amp budget also went seriously over . Would you know where I can listen to them in London ?

Shanka:

Hi,

Really worth listening to Totem Arro. A real hidden gem. I love'em.

They work well with Leema, Naim (so I'm told), no reason why they shouldn't shine with the Caspian.

Shanka:
Hi,

Thanks for that one Rick, just had a quick look and may be over budget unless they are truly stunning and have to reconsider, not for the first time tho' my cd/amp budget also went seriously over . Would you know where I can listen to them in London ?

Hi Shanka

Your welcome.

I am now going to be tied up for a while (i've got an ATC dem to set up) so i'll try and respond to you later on today. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Btw, Cornflake shop are a good dealer in London 0207 631 0472
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, will check out the Totems and no rush Rick, thanks for the time, I think getting all the demos will entail a bit of travelling ,not many Roksan dealers carry the caspian.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi

Thanks for the links, have been looking and only 2 dealers in London carry Caspian, Sevenoaks carry most of my list and the kef's, visiting them on tuesday and may have located someone for ProAc but no one for pmc, totem or Dynaudio, may have to get a railcard or take my amp walkies.

Thanks again for the assistance

Shanka:Thanks, will check out the Totems and no rush Rick, thanks for the time, I think getting all the demos will entail a bit of travelling ,not many Roksan dealers carry the caspian.

Hi Shanka

Your welcome.

Fair enough however i am still sorry for my late reply.

Yes, i feel ATC's SCM40 monitors are truly stunning and can punch well above their weight. For eg. SCM40's feature the legendary and massively engineered state of the art studio Soft Dome mid range unit (as used in SCM25A Professional monitors). The studio Soft Dome is capable of covering a 300Hz to 4KHz and achieves an exceptionally broad and even dispersion so that the reverberant soundfield matches the on axis sound. This results in a flat frequency response almost anywhere in the room!
emotion-1.gif

The SCM40's with their (amongst other qualities) low distortion, neutral, uncoloured and natural presentation will enable the qualities of your components to shine through by enabling them to breathe. Simply put i feel SCM40 monitors will help reveal the colour, conviction and energy of your components and soundtracks
emotion-2.gif

Btw, please try and take your components to dealers who don't stock the M2 range.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi there Shanka,

Before you buy any new speakers, I would strongly recommend getting a home demo and listening to them in your own room (along with all of your own equipment, inc cables etc). This will usually mean giving the dealership what the speakers cost before they let them out of their sight, but is 100% worth it.. Speakers interact with their surrounding to such a degree that listening to them in any demo room is, in my experience, a pretty useless exercise, and one which can be potentially disastrous (if you end up shelling out ££££s and then it doesn't do the job properly.. Some companies will do a limited period money back scheme though, but it often takes longer than that to get them run-in and on song properly..). Also make sure that, before you make your decision, the speakers you're demoing have had a decent amount of run-in time (100hrs minimum, more if pos IMO).

Recommendation wise, as above, I love the SCM40s, if you can stretch that far into your pocket then do so, you won't be disappointed. Spendor A5s and A6s are both exception designs, along with awesome the Proac Response D18s (I personally find the Studio range a bit coarse sounding, but they will give you a lot more thump for your bucks). If you fancy trying something a bit different and there's a local dealer who stocks them, the Audio Note AZ-2s are a very lively and great musical communicator, but do not like many higher powered solid state amps. If they work with your system, room and ears, they're a terrific bargain at £1000.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for all advice, will try and locate scm40s as they seem to be highly regarded and am discussing home demos with retailers , have today discounted the spendors, too soft for my personal liking , didn't love the kefs but was seriously keen on the cm8's plenty of oomph but not pin sharp in the middle but still impressive but I am very used to B&W speakers so maybe the familiarity contributed to my opinions . I also heard some Audiovectors Ki3 that I had not come across before and I liked these, not as powerful as cm8's but more detail and will have another listen for sure, thanks Matt Sevenoaks.

As I have never heard Danish speakers before I am now more keen to hear the Dynaudio xcite32 and have arranged to take my amp to try these out, not the best of reasons I am sure but would appreciate any thoughts on these or the Audiovectors.

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts