Visit site
Current set up:
Mission M74 speakers
Cambridge Audio DAB300 tuner
Pro-ject Essential III turntable
Roksan Kandy MkIII Amp
Roksan Kandy CD Player
Arcam Miniblink Bluetooth

I'm looking to invest in some new speakers as mine are getting a bit long in the tooth.

I've narrowed the list down to:

Fyne Audio F303
B&W 603
Monitor Audio Silver 200
Dali Oberon 5
Q Acoustics 3050i

I like a bit a bass in my music and listen mainly to alternative, indie, indie rock with a bit of pop and metal thrown in for good measure (Depeche Mode, Radiohead, Maximo Park, Metallica etc.)

Anyone have and advice or suggestions as to which whould suit my set up and music tastes best?

jjbomber

That's a good short list to start with. You'll need to listen to them to see who wins. What are you listening for?

Well, I'm a music fan, not a hi-fi fan, so I just go with musicality. Whichever one causes me to tap my foot the most is the winner. It's nearly always the same test track, Led Zeppelin's Dazed And Confused. Just a great rhythm section.

The test book way for audiophiles is a bit more long winded. Firstly, as above, listen to one of your favourite tracks that you are familiar with. Some will bring out more details than others and even things that you never knew were on the recording. Secondly, check for a soundstage. The vocalist, bass player, guitarist and drums should all have their place. The test of following the bass guitar has been around since the wheel was invented. OK, since the turntable was invented, but you get the point. Try Xanadu by Rush and check that the birds fly around at the start of the record. Thirdly, the instruments should sound right. For example, a piano should sound like a hammer on the strings. Bohemian Rhapsody is a long time test track but Never Win from Those Damn Crows is a good test. Another is female vocals, a long time favourite of speaker companies to show off their wares. They should sound natural. Finally, dynamics. The loud passages and soft spots show not overlap. Don't confuse dynamics with how loud it goes, but how quick and smooth it goes from one extreme to the other.

So there you have it. An Idiot's Guide To Choosing Loudspeakers, written by an idiot!

D

Deleted member 116933

Hmm, I have good knowledge of the M74's having owned a few pairs and a friend still has a pair, and I think you're going to be surprised how good those m74's actually are. They come from a company riding high off the back of the 700 series and arguably giving there last big effort before going under to much praise off what hifi them selfs. If I remember correctly the RRP of the m74 was around 400 quid in 2000-2 adjusted for inflation is around 700 quid today.

Personally, those speakers you listed are going to be nothing more than a side step just a different flavour. if you're looking to improve the sound you're going to need to spend more I think.

Speaker tech really has moved all that far in 20 years but some will argue it has, what has changed a lot is the tuning 2000s was about full sound today the fashion is clean sound.

What is that you don't actually like about the M74s or is it just purely they're bust and you need new ones to replace and not looking to improve upon the sound? if so forget everything I said!

Edit as others have mentioned audition is key

Reactions: davejarvis14

davejarvis14

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Hmm, I have good knowledge of the M74's having owned a few pairs and a friend still has a pair, and I think you're going to be surprised how good those m74's actually are. They come from a company riding high off the back of the 700 series and arguably giving there last big effort before going under to much praise off what hifi them selfs. If I remember correctly the RRP of the m74 was around 400 quid in 2000-2 adjusted for inflation is around 700 quid today.

Personally, those speakers you listed are going to be nothing more than a side step just a different flavour. if you're looking to improve the sound you're going to need to spend more I think.

Speaker tech really has moved all that far in 20 years but some will argue it has, what has changed a lot is the tuning 2000s was about full sound today the fashion is clean sound.

What is that you don't actually like about the M74s or is it just purely they're bust and you need new ones to replace and not looking to improve upon the sound? if so forget everything I said!

Edit as others have mentioned audition is key
I do like the sound of the M74’s but over the years and several house moves they are starting to look a bit beat up and tatty although the cones are in perfect condition

D

Deleted member 116933

I do like the sound of the M74’s but over the years and several house moves they are starting to look a bit beat up and tatty although the cones are in perfect condition

Ignore what I said then! Lol But it would be nice to truly beat the sound of them though if your going to the effort of buying new.

Or look for another clean second hand pair. Can be had for around a ton. And keep the cones of yours for spares.

Reactions: davejarvis14

Steve150

Sep 29, 2020
Visit site
Current set up:
Mission M74 speakers
Cambridge Audio DAB300 tuner
Pro-ject Essential III turntable
Roksan Kandy MkIII Amp
Roksan Kandy CD Player
Arcam Miniblink Bluetooth

I'm looking to invest in some new speakers as mine are getting a bit long in the tooth.

I've narrowed the list down to:

Fyne Audio F303
B&W 603
Monitor Audio Silver 200
Dali Oberon 5
Q Acoustics 3050i

I like a bit a bass in my music and listen mainly to alternative, indie, indie rock with a bit of pop and metal thrown in for good measure (Depeche Mode, Radiohead, Maximo Park, Metallica etc.)

Anyone have and advice or suggestions as to which whould suit my set up and music tastes best?
Hi, you can also add a set of Rega RS3 to your list, best set of floor speakers I have had.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts