amp recommendations for more exciting sound in 2nd hand system build

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
ok i hope i get some opinions that may help me out. im no expert.

i've never had a system before and started to build a second hand one up from ebay with some freinds help.

im using a pc for music with flac lossless and foobar wasapi to a usbdac which i like.

my speakers are mid 90s KAR torrinos

i have so far got or borrowed a marantz pm66se ki, an arcam delta 90.2 and a creek 4140s2

im using some cables which brigthen it a bit according to friend, had some rubys from him but i didnt like them dulled it a bit.

volume is low to medium not really going past 9 o'clock

i listen to all sorts but i like electronic music , ebm and dance and what i call industrial goth, + cyber punk. Also old 80/90s goth, heavy metal. things like depeche mode, sisters, bauhaus, metallica, maiden, cult etc..some eurythmics thrown in too. Some 70s stuff doors, bowie etc etc

i also like things like the tron film sound track and moon sound tracks as well

some classical does get played if its a big sound :)

now i dont like the marantz its too dull for me and in further back has more richness about it though quite good on some classical though.

the arcam delta 90.2 is better more forward with height in the soundstage and sounds brighter than the marantz, looses bit of bass not much.

the creek is cant quite say more punchy faster? and brighter or something which i like, looses abit more bass which is unfortuante not so much height

now i was thinking of trying somethign a bit better eg audiolab 8000s uk made late 90s or an arcam a85 , roksan kandy mkiii maybe a NAD another creek? can anyone make some suggestions or opinions that would be great many thanks.

T

the record spot

If you can get one, you could seek out an amp I picked up the other week - Sony's TA-F630ESD. Very late 80s, great build, but detailed and expansive sound. 80wpc, should set you back anywhere around £80-£150 depending on condition. Great at low volumes too if that's a consideration and has an onboard DAC too (hence the "D" in the model number).

lumi said:
ok i hope i get some opinions that may help me out. im no expert.

i've never had a system before and started to build a second hand one up from ebay with some freinds help.

im using a pc for music with flac lossless and foobar wasapi to a usbdac which i like.

my speakers are mid 90s KAR torrinos

i have so far got or borrowed a marantz pm66se ki, an arcam delta 90.2 and a creek 4140s2

im using some cables which brigthen it a bit according to friend, had some rubys from him but i didnt like them dulled it a bit.

volume is low to medium not really going past 9 o'clock

i listen to all sorts but i like electronic music , ebm and dance and what i call industrial goth, + cyber punk. Also old 80/90s goth, heavy metal. things like depeche mode, sisters, bauhaus, metallica, maiden, cult etc..some eurythmics thrown in too. Some 70s stuff doors, bowie etc etc

i also like things like the tron film sound track and moon sound tracks as well

some classical does get played if its a big sound :)

now i dont like the marantz its too dull for me and in further back has more richness about it though quite good on some classical though.

the arcam delta 90.2 is better more forward with height in the soundstage and sounds brighter than the marantz, looses bit of bass not much.

the creek is cant quite say more punchy faster? and brighter or something which i like, looses abit more bass which is unfortuante not so much height

now i was thinking of trying somethign a bit better eg audiolab 8000s uk made late 90s or an arcam a85 , roksan kandy mkiii maybe a NAD another creek? can anyone make some suggestions or opinions that would be great many thanks.

Cambridge 640V2s are a good bet if you like a lively sound, likwise early Cyrus 6...

Rotels are another good option.

A

Anonymous

well anywhere from 100 to 300 if the extra was worth it eg roksan kandy or audiloab or arcam a85 seem to be around 250 ish on ebay when they pop up.

the marantz is richer n smoother prob better for classical, lacks pace n punch n top end for electronic music, in my system i feel

a dealer near me has an old Cambridge Azur 740A and an arcam a85

dont know how much he wants for the 740a, for tha a85 i think he prob wants 250-300

theres an audiolab 8000s uk i can get hold of possably, similar price

or i can wait a bit see if something else pops up

thanks for suggestions so far

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts