New cartidge

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
The 2M Stylus differ tip to tip. Red = Elliptical, Blue = Nude Elliptical, Bronze = Nude Fine Line, Black = Nude Shibata.

(I've always thought Nude Shibata sounds like something you'd get up to after a few too many saké in a Karoke club in Tokyo).

With regards to upgrading stylus on carts - the normal routes are Red / Silver Cart -> Blue Stylus, Bronze Cart -> Black Stylus.

As mentioned, you could put a Bronze / Black Stylus on a Red Cart, but it would be a bit like sticking F1 Wheels and Tyres on my Nan's Corsa, they'll fit, they'll look nice, but they'll never be used to their full potential.

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
grimharry said:
Schnip......

Replacement stylus price I've taken into consideration as to be honest I'm not the luckiest person and as I have to let other family members use my stereo *nea* a simple slip could leave me couple of hundred quid out of pocket.

I can quite understand your concerns about lucky and longevity of stylus. I have managed to trash my beloved Zyx cartidge in the past (a bit more expensive than the cartridges we are talking about here) and that did make me consider, for a moment, the use of Moving Coil cartridges... ;-)

It still gives me the fear when I get a request to fit something like an MC A95, they just look so fragile.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Makes a good argument for the automatic turntable, in fact when you think about that and the strobe speed adjustment of the direct drive old technics tt my son has I wonder who's better off.

brownz said:
Al ears said:
grimharry said:
Schnip......

Replacement stylus price I've taken into consideration as to be honest I'm not the luckiest person and as I have to let other family members use my stereo *nea* a simple slip could leave me couple of hundred quid out of pocket.

I can quite understand your concerns about lucky and longevity of stylus. I have managed to trash my beloved Zyx cartidge in the past (a bit more expensive than the cartridges we are talking about here) and that did make me consider, for a moment, the use of Moving Coil cartridges... ;-)

It still gives me the fear when I get a request to fit something like an MC A95, they just look so fragile.

They are...... rather you than me. At least they are not looking at the price of a new cartridge if they manage to destroy it fitting it themselves.. ;-)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
grimharry said:

You 'have to'? What's that all about?

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Yes and no at the moment looking at the nag or goldring did consider the clear audio but not sure how it compares to the two mentioned as it's a lot cheaper I could do with some one who has experience of the clear audio to say it's an apsolute bargain worth twice the price with bags of detail and a smoother tip end than the ortofon 2m silver. Don't suppose you know anybody to convince me?*good*

As you probably gathered I'm a big ClearAudio cart fanboy. When I first had the Classic Wood cart fitted I spent the whole morning at the dealers. He had an up-spec'd Ortofon (IIRC approx £90) and a Goldring (£110) and when he finally produced the ClearAudio (£115) there was a noticeable uplift over the previous two. That was back in 2005. The ClearAudio Classic Wood retailed at around £300 just prior to the Concept replacing it. Have to say, the Concept cart still has the air of quality and openness about its presentation. IMO works beautifully with budget Pro-jects.

grimharry said:
Yes and no at the moment looking at the nag or goldring did consider the clear audio but not sure how it compares to the two mentioned as it's a lot cheaper I could do with some one who has experience of the clear audio to say it's an apsolute bargain worth twice the price with bags of detail and a smoother tip end than the ortofon 2m silver. Don't suppose you know anybody to convince me?*good*

Nope! :)

Having said that I don't believe they have made a bad cartridge and along with firms like Grado it becomes a bit of a nightmare making a choice. There isn't a huge difference and it's all personal opinion at this price point.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
As you probably gathered I'm a big ClearAudio cart fanboy. When I first had the Classic Wood cart fitted I spent the whole morning at the dealers. He had an up-spec'd Ortofon (IIRC approx £90) and a Goldring (£110) and when he finally produced the ClearAudio (£115) there was a noticeable uplift over the previous two. That was back in 2005. The ClearAudio Classic Wood retailed at around £300 just prior to the Concept replacing it. Have to say, the Concept cart still has the air of quality and openness about its presentation. IMO works beautifully with budget Pro-jects.

will bear it in mind but the other 2 might be better, will have to see how work goes ( self employed)

... to my previous post.

Based on my experience of ClearAudio carts, unlike others, they are quite neutral. Not clinical nor does it lack the traditional analogue sound you'd expect... but they're not quite as warm as a price comparible cart.

There's no brightness or cloying but a nicely balanced cart.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Your putting a good argument damn you *stop*

I take it out the 3 you would take the concept, but how much of an improvement over the 2m silver do you think it will be?

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Go for the 1042. For the money, it has everything. You won't regret it
thumbs_up.png

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts