New Canton DM 50 randomly turning off

mister.c.

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Good afternoon all. Today I received a Canton DM50 which I have attached to my TV. So far so good!

However in the last hour or so since getting it and turning it on and getting it connected, I haven't had >2 minutes of sound before it turns itself to standby. Is there anything obvious I need to do? Like a software update? Sound can only last 5 seconds, but no more than 2 mins. The Canton is connected directly to the TV.

I have taken all remotes out of the room/ taken batteries out to eliminate the potential for other remote interference. Likewise with the Canton remote, once power is on, I've taken out the batteries etc. I have tied the turning on of my Humax Freeview HD recorded. So when the Humax powers up, so does this. Nothing has worked so far.

I can always return the goods - in this case this is with Amazon (de). But for the brief time it is on it sounds a good piece of kit and for an oversight on my part, I'd like to do what I can to overcome any ignorance and fix it. The only other thing I plan to do is change the EU/UK adaptor (or I could perhaps get the right UK lead, whatever that is) to see if it is power related.

Any thoughts gratefully received; thanks.

mister.c.

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I cannot connect digitally so went the Aux route. Not that that should be an issue as when it is on, the sound is clear, fine and in sync.

mister.c.

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi Clare. Thankyou for your reply. Yes, I live in the UK but bought it from Amazon Germany. The joys of the EU we (currently!) live in. Having spoken via Facebook with Canton then they did suggest (and provided) contact details for Computers Unlimited, which I can see you work for. So I popped them an e-mail this afternoon also.

As I mentioned I can, of course return this and look for another brand of Soundbase. But it seems a shame to, if it can be sorted.

Much obliged for your reply.

Hi Clare,

I'm in the same position as well. Purchased from Amazon.de (Germany) and delivered to the UK. The unit is providing the same problem. Just randomly turns off consistently, and then comes back on a few minutes later.

Been in touch with the Canton Facebook team and they've asked I get in touch with the UK distributor with regards to warranty replacement (Computers Unlimited). I've sent through an email to them, but haven't heard back, so I thought I'd message here as well.

As with mister.c - I too now have the following two options:

1. Return the unit back to Germany (at a cost!) and move to a different company permanently for my audio custom.

OR

Have Canton UK (or their UK distributor, Computers Unlimited) replace this faulty unit under warranty. I reckon this would be the most amicable and sensible way forward, as this would result in the establishment of a long-term UK customer (myself).

P.S - I must add - the sound produced by this soundbase is quite incredible!

ajavaid92

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi Clare,

Not sure whether to make a brand new thread about the same issue I'm facing as well. For now, I'm going to be posting on this thread. Purchased from Amazon.de (Germany) and delivered to the UK. The unit is providing exactly the same problem. Just randomly turns off consistently, and then comes back on a minute or two later.

Been in touch with the Canton Facebook team and they've asked I get in touch with the UK distributor with regards to warranty replacement (Computers Unlimited). I've sent through an email to them, but haven't heard back, so I thought I'd message here as well.

As with mister.c - I too now have the following two options:

1. Return the unit back to Germany (at a cost!) and move to a different company permanently for my audio custom.

OR

Have Canton UK (or their UK distributor, Computers Unlimited) replace this faulty unit under warranty. I reckon this would be the most amicable and sensible way forward, as this would result in the establishment of a long-term UK customer (myself).

P.S - I must add - the sound produced by this soundbase is quite incredible!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi both. I'll get our service team onto your cases tomorrow; the UK may not have sold you the units, but we'll certainly ensure you get sorted! Will update with any info I get, too.

Hi All,

I was not sure to make anew post or post my issue here.

I live in The Uk and bought the Canton DM50 from a seller in UK.

There is a subtle sharp high pitched snapping sound (though not loud at all) is produced when do the following:

- Switch Between DVD and TV inputs on the Canton

- When I switch channels on my sky box, specifically from SD to HD channels.

- This sound exists also when I disconnect the cables from the soundbase.

I contacted the seller and they adviced that this is normal as switching between sources!

Do u have simillar issues?

Apart from that the sound is great.

Any advice?

N.b: I have a Samsung smart TV model 2014. The soundbase is connected to my TV via optical and to the sky box via Coax.

ajavaid92

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Did you manage to get this issue presented to the service team? Really looking forward to getting this resolved soon, because we do have a urgent need for a good quality soundbase. Dont' want to be moving to a different brand, as the sound quality produced by this unit is quite stellar!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
OK, here's an update all round.

Firstly regarding the two units bought from Amazon Germany. Canton sincerely apologises, but it does appear these were part of a small rogue batch with the same issue, which would have been picked up if they'd come via UK, where we have 100% QC. As it was, they all went to Amazon Germany.... Sadly, they'll need to go back to Amazon Germany, as the warranty is with that retailer. We'd be happy to sort tested UK models when you've received refunds. Apologies again, but it does demonstrate that buying from abroad can have more issues than just getting the wrong plug....

Khaled - Re the noise changing sources; my £4K AV receiver (not Canton) often does the same thing! I have asked Canton if there's anything specific they'd suggest re DM50 settings etc.

mister.c.

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
OK, here's an update all round.

Firstly regarding the two units bought from Amazon Germany. Canton sincerely apologises, but it does appear these were part of a small rogue batch with the same issue, which would have been picked up if they'd come via UK, where we have 100% QC. As it was, they all went to Amazon Germany.... Sadly, they'll need to go back to Amazon Germany, as the warranty is with that retailer. We'd be happy to sort tested UK models when you've received refunds. Apologies again, but it does demonstrate that buying from abroad can have more issues than just getting the wrong plug.

Hi Clare and ty for your reply. Appreciate you have been attempted to resolve this on our behalf. However I would take issue with a few things. For what good, no doubt nothing. But here goes...

Canton are a (premium?) german company and we bought it from the country of origin. And no doubt from the same place the UK models are made. From what you are saying, Canton do not actually QA their own goods that they sell to their native citizens? Worrying for such a premium brand.

You also mention 'a small rogue batch'. In now looking in more detail at Amazon(de) that doesn't equate to a couple of dozen 1 star ratings on Amazon.de going back over a year. With a variety of issues. Again rather worrying.

We spoke directly with the company in Germany. They gave us the expectation the UK side of things would help. Yet it feels as though it is easier for the UK side of things to ignore us.

From a group of us buying this Canton products there are issues with the product that doesn't inspire confidence. The aftersales doesn't inspire the confidence of a company wanting to 'right a wrong' or 'go the extra mile' to help the customer.

I appreciate your time, and although frustrated, would just about be able to accept you saying we need to go back to Germany. It wouldn't inspire me to ever buy Canton again, but you live and move on. But please don't test our intelligence with PR/Marketing 'excuses' or suggesting it would all have been wonderful if we'd bought in the UK. Maybe it would have been ok, but buying a product from the county of origin from a reputable supplier, and then saying it was a small batch fault, where other evidence suggests otherwise, and saying the company doesnt do sufficient checks in Germany only casts Canton in a worse light.

ajavaid92

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi Clare,

Thanks for getting back to us and for making an effort in trying to getting this resolved on our behalf. While I understand and appreciate that this may be part of an "initial" faulty batch (I hope?), what doesn't really run past me well is the fact that the company has made no effort in trying to fix this supposed "rogue" batch. Most well-known companies would recall faulty products if they were aware of a fault affecting such a magnitude number of units. Furthermore, what I don't really understand is why Canton cannot have this replaced within the UK, considering the fact that Canton Germany have informed us that this would be a possibility. Many highly renowned companies offer global warranties, so it wouldn't be too inappropriate to carry the impression that Canton too would offer such a similar global warranty system (if not Global, then EU at least!)

While this was delivered directly from Germany, and therefore there is the potential option of having this sent back (at a cost!) - had this been purchased within Germany on a visit and upon returning to the UK having realised it being faulty, what would happen then? Without no obvious port of call in terms of returning/shipping the item back as it was purchased instore in Germany, how would Canton look to serve its customers' warranty needs then? Would the company just bat a blind eye, turn back and say "Oh, sorry. As you're within the UK, there's not much we can do for you I'm afraid. We're a German brand and therefore only cater for our German citizens. With regards to the actual defect, I'm afraid there's a known issue in a batch of these units and we've been highly careless in the way we've dealt with this known issue. Since you're currently not within deutschland to have this returned to the retailer, you are now effectively screwed."

I understand Canton to be quite a premier German brand and therefore find it rather insulting to be treated in such a manner. Most companies try and make an effort in ensuring that their customers are well looked after post-purchase and that any and all issues they may be facing resolved. In this case, it seems Canton cannot be bothered with us at all. They're aware of a defect in their products, yet they're unwilling to have it replaced. Smacks highly of unprofessionalism.

All of the above concerns aside, the next issue to contend is with the postage and packaging of the item back to Germany. Considering the size and weight of the unit, this is not only going to be expensive, but time-consuming as well. Nobody purchases a product from a premium brand to essentially "look after it" and then return it the next day. And then there is the issue to wait for the refund to be processed - keeping in mind the transit time, the processing of the return by the retailer and then the bank processing time for processing the refund, this could essentially leave us out of pocket for a substantial amount of time, and therefore depriving us of good quality sound system for our pleasure. As such, I therefore find this option extremely unfavourable and highly inconvenient.

In light of all of the above, I trust that this issue will investigated further and more time and attention will be diverted to both mister.c's and my case. Should Canton continue to refuse to do something about this, then you can rest assured, I will not be taking this too lightly. I will ensure that any and all prospective buyers are aware of the way I've (or we've) been dealt with and that they have a keen insight into the lack of care shown by such a "premium" brand by plastering this case all over social media and alike. Furthermore, please be advised that this will be the absolute last time I will ever be purchasing a Canton product - which will be such a shame though, as the sound produced by this soundbase is rather good.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I can understand your frustration, and will pass it onto Canton, urging a response as soon as possible.

But once again - and this is NOT PR 'excuses' - I can assure you this fault has been found in a small batch, all of which sadly ended up at Amazon Germany. Of course no faulty product should ever go out, but mistakes do happen, even with the best of companies.

And to clarify: Canton do QC products worldwide, as majority of manufacturers do, by frequently selecting samples off the production line and checking them. Every UK product is checked. Sadly, it doesn't preclude occasional issues. Canton has sold tens of thousands of DM50s around the world since launch in late 2013, and has had extremely few problem machines - I can totally understand those that have had faulty units complaining about it (I certainly would)!, but it's not representative.

Once again, let me escalate this to Canton to be resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

ajavaid92

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Clare for getting back to us. As was stated in my earlier response, I am in need of a sounbase on quite an urgent basis, and therefore would appreciate it if you could inform us of a timescale as to when we coud hear back from Canton?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I can be quite forceful on a Friday. ..

Have arranged for Canton to swap out your units with UK ones. You can either send them back here to CU (clearly marked for my attention), or we can arrange a courier to collect them, if you email us with your address details and a suitable collection date.

ajavaid92

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
This is fantastic news! Glad to hear that Canton are finally willing to help their customers here in the UK as well.

I have now emailed through with the requested details.

Once again, much obliged for your assistance in this matter - really do appreciate all your help!

Thanks very much Claire, u have been wonderful help.

I was beginning to have doubts about the product as I love the quality of the sound but this subtle sound was worrying.

I will wait for your reply.

I noticed that no one commented on the same issue!

thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts