New Cables time

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
The first cables to arrive are the Van Den Hul - The Bay. Only got a few hours this evening, but first impressions are good. My Go-to albums are getting an airing, Prong - beg to Differ and Prong - Prove you Wrong. And a few ice cold beers. 😊

just a mini-update on the VDH so far....
quite amazed by how much percussion and overlayed parts of music i am hearing as i go through my music collection. its mostly heavy rock and metal that i listen to, a lot of fast, detailed thrashy stuff. more complex stuff like voivod and mastodon have been interesting to listen to. i'm hearing more kick to the kick drum, and more bass guitar too. top end is clean and accurate. overall its a presentation that i'm liking a lot. i also tried a bit of fine tuning by moving the speakers, only a matter of a cm here and there, but all worthwhile moves.
ive probably listened for 10 hours, and its got me wanting more, so that has to be a good sign.
one thing i have noticed, is i dont need the volume as high to get the same punch as before. not by much, but again, noticeable.
i'll carry on for a few more days, and put the chord crimson vee on then.

Reactions: Al ears
i am indeed having fun. i find reading reviews can only serve you so well, there's nothing like doing a bit of experimentation yourself. i'm trying to gauge what VDH were trying to achieve when they produced this cable. i mean, to them this is a "budget" cable, but at over £80 retail, its hardly peanuts. so, i'm giving it a thorough test. but unlike a pro-reviewer, i'm doing this without bias, all i want to know, is how it sounds, or how it effects my set-up.
i will do the same with the Chord cable, and i won't try and sell either to anyone. i'll just give my opinion.
for anyone that listens to Metallica, i'll be giving >>>And Justice for All a spin shortly, if i hear Jason's Bass Guitar on there..... well, .....lets see :smiley:

Reactions: Deleted member 2457
So, I’ve probably done 20 hours now with the VDH cables.
Time to switch over to the Chord Crimson Vee. Having liked the Cobras I got earlier, I’m hoping for something similar with these.
I must admit, I’m enjoying just relaxing and listening to music. 👍

Reactions: Oxfordian
Time to switch over to the Chord Crimson Vee. Having liked the Cobras I got earlier, I’m hoping for something similar with these.
Good news. Tried many a cable over the years but have ended up with cables all from one manufacturer purely so the looks. I am a bit OCD like that I guess. :)

Oxfordian

Isn’t your last sentence the most important, it’s not the gear it’s the music.

But you're not are you, you are listening for differences in cables, for me the two just don't go together... just my opinion.

Hi DougK. I’m playing some of my Favourite music, the albums I’m most familiar with, and I’m really enjoying my time off. I just also happen to be trying several different cables while I’m doing that so, in the short term, they are going together quite well as I’m probably listening to music more than I normally would.

For those interested, the VDH The Bay C5 has for me been a clear favourite.
The chord cobra 2nd and crimson 3rd. All good cables but personally I prefer the VDH.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts