New blu ray player

Ripeba

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking to replace my old player, a Samsung BD C5900. First goal is getting better sound. Also i want to play sacd.

I have two options, the 2014 award winning Sony BDP S7200 or the Marantz UD5007. Is it worth to pay 200 euro more for the Marantz? Soundquality is most important for me.

Welcome to the forum.

I would say that no it is not worth the extra for sound quality alone but really only an audition of these by your good self can determine this for sure. If there are some facilities you may find useful on the Marantz that the Sony does not have then maybe.

If you add SACDs into the equation I am sure you'd be better off with the Sony.... leaving you 200 euros to buy some more.

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
with your bdp bitstreaming to your amp which does the decoding,the players will all sound the same,you can set the bdp to decode and output pcm but even then i doubt you would hear any difference,i have the 5007 and its easily the best bdp ive owned,superb build quality,silent running and sounds very good from its stereo analog outputs in pure direct.

Ripeba

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
So if with PCM there's even no difference between Sony and Marantz??? Ofcourse the ud5007 looks better with the nr1604 but it's much money. Is it only the buildquality of Marantz that makers the difference in price and do i get no better sound? If this is so i think i will go for Sony.

PS: I have not the possibility to listen the Sony and Marantz together to compare.

Ripeba said:
So if with PCM there's even no difference between Sony and Marantz??? Ofcourse the ud5007 looks better with the nr1604 but it's much money. Is it only the buildquality of Marantz that makers the difference in price and do i get no better sound? If this is so i think i will go for Sony.

PS: I have not the possibility to listen the Sony and Marantz together to compare.

Yes, it's the build quality that's the difference.

Ripeba

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
I can see much info about the ud5007. Perhaps because this player is from 2012. How it is with the Sony S7200? Are there people that have experience with this player? Sound, playing blu ray and dvd, streaming flac from NAS?

Ripeba

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
A few months further, still not bought a new blu ray. Perhaps good decision. I now see a Pioneer bdp-180. This player can play flac from NAS. Sony 7200 not. Anyone experience with this Pioneer?

Ripeba

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
ThanKs. Do you know another player that also plays flac from a Nas (DLNA). In the same price range as Sony 7200 and that Pioneer?

Ripeba

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
So the S7200 doesn't and the cheaper S5500 does play Flacs from a DLNA server? A little bit strange. Not very clear describtion in the Sony guide of the S5500. So i'm not convinced. Nevertheless thanks!

Ripeba

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
Panasonis was not there so i bought the Sony BDP-S5500, 30 euro cheaper than Panasonic. First impression: small, good video and sound. Plays indeed flac from Synology Nas but shows no cover art from album or artist, pity.

mark123

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Which is better: Pioneer bdp-lx55 or Pioneer bdp-180. Will be used for dvd, bluray and audio cd. I need a player who has a better audio.

buzz_lightclick

mark123 said:
Which is better: Pioneer bdp-lx55 or Pioneer bdp-180. Will be used for dvd, bluray and audio cd. I need a player who has a better audio.

the 55 is the higher end player better build quality and will be quieter in operation. Whether there will be any difference in picture or audio quality is debatable, probably not.

D

Deleted member 2457

buzz_lightclick said:
mark123 said:

the 55 is the higher end player better build quality and will be quieter in operation. Whether there will be any difference in picture or audio quality is debatable, probably not.
Agreed.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
mark123 said:

the 55 will be better for standard dvd. For bluray, all players should be the same with all the processing switched off, which should be done so you see the film as the director intended...

TRENDING THREADS