New Arcam FMJ CD37 and CD17 line up

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Does anyone know when the CD17 will be out, or heard the CD37 vs CD36/CD33/CD192/CD93/CD92. At £1000 it is £450 cheaper than the CD36 it replaces, so my thinking is that the non SACD CD17 @ £500 in theory should be 'better' than my CD93? Any thoughts? Graham.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
CD17 being referred to as a summer launch by Arcam (see story here). We're taking delivery of a CD37 very shortly (next week, I believe), which means we'll have a review out in June.

As ever with our reviews, there'll be a lot of comparative testing....

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
CD17 being referred to as a summer launch by Arcam (see story here). We're taking delivery of a CD37 very shortly (next week, I believe), which means we'll have a review out in June.

As ever with our reviews, there'll be a lot of comparative testing....
[/quote]

Thanks Clare, I'm quite excited to hear how they perform. Latest chip et al. Though there's a nice CD92 on eBay with the ring DAC - lol :D

By my reckoning August edition out in June lol.....

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]I heard the 37 and the Roksan Caspian trounced it........[/quote]

Bet it didn't for SACD
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Actually, it did, since the one hybrid disc they had (Shaking The Tree) sounded better on the Caspian
emotion-4.gif
[/quote]

You're SAD - Serial Arcam Detester :D

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Graham_Thomas"][quote user="JohnDuncan"]Actually, it did, since the one hybrid disc they had (Shaking The Tree) sounded better on the Caspian
emotion-4.gif
[/quote]

You're SAD - Serial Arcam Detester :D[/quote]

Couldn't agree more.

A

Anonymous

You Arcam lot are very defensive. Everybody knows Primare are superior
emotion-2.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JAXON5"]You Arcam lot are very defensive. Everybody knows Primare are superior
emotion-2.gif
[/quote]

I'd be very interested to hear a Primare in my living room...I find it difficult to understand people slating Arcam when I hear beautiful sounds every day from an all Arcam system. From reports it does appear that certain Arcams have had really good reviews and it appears I have those, so who knows. I would challenge someone to actually have a listen and try to find fault. Detail, involvement, thought provoking, I just wonder how much better it can get in a smallish living room.

I also have a vdh like you and like it FWIW.

A

Anonymous

Calm down Mr.Sim, don't worry I have the solution! ; )

It doesn't matter what amplifier you have in a system if you have good-matching speakers. Monitor Audio speakers aren't going to go well on Naim equipment and Jamos aren't going to go well on Arcam. Balanced systems are what we should all be aspiring to. NO hi-fi amplifier these days over £1000 is not better than another, you just need matching equipment for it - that's why WHFS&V have given the A38 3 stars and another hi-fi mag has given it 5 out of 5 on all tests, because on the equipment they used and in the room they were in with the right music and the right ears(!) it was just right! You wouldn't use an LS3/5s for "Fire-starter" or a System of a Down, and you wouldn't use B&W 683s for a flute-solo.

Hi-Fi is about balance.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"]Calm down Mr.Sim, don't worry I have the solution! ; )

It doesn't matter what amplifier you have in a system if you have good-matching speakers. Monitor Audio speakers aren't going to go well on Naim equipment and Jamos aren't going to go well on Arcam. Balanced systems are what we should all be aspiring to. NO hi-fi amplifier these days over £1000 is not better than another, you just need matching equipment for it - that's why WHFS&V have given the A38 3 stars and another hi-fi mag has given it 5 out of 5 on all tests, because on the equipment they used and in the room they were in with the right music and the right ears(!) it was just right! You wouldn't use an LS3/5s for "Fire-starter" or a System of a Down, and you wouldn't use B&W 683s for a flute-solo.

Hi-Fi is about balance.[/quote]

Agreed. My mate's MF/Tannoy system sounds like you're listening through a pillowcase compared to mine. And mine isn't bright and I can listen to it for hours and hours without any fatigue whatsoever.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]I'd be very interested to hear a Primare in my living room...I find it difficult to understand people slating Arcam when I hear beautiful sounds every day from an all Arcam system. From reports it does appear that certain Arcams have had really good reviews and it appears I have those, so who knows. I would challenge someone to actually have a listen and try to find fault. Detail, involvement, thought provoking, I just wonder how much better it can get in a smallish living room.

I also have a vdh like you and like it FWIW.
[/quote]

Just jesting. I haven't heard that much Arcam anyway so not really qualified to judge them let alone criticize them. What I have heard was(is) top notch. Ignore the Primare is superior comment ( was only joking although I like to think it is
emotion-4.gif
)

Yeah the VDH cable is great

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Arcam do seem to take more than their fair share of split decisions .................. After my 8 year old NAD system gave up its life I bought an Arcam CD73 after demos on quite a lot of products and i didnt really like anything better in its price bracket ............. The Solo's also are excellent products ................... FMJ gets more split decisions - but after picking the CD and Amp below for less than £700 each i am really happy with the quality / price level i got ................. I have very recently tried some much more expensive speakers and found it didnt actually sound as good as the Epos, so it could certainly depend what you are pairing up when you listen as to whether you hear it at its best.

matthewpiano

I think it is so subjective and I know people who think Arcam sounds too neutral and true to the original source. They prefer their equipment to stamp its own character on the music and that is a perfectly valid approach. Personally I love the natural Arcam sound. Neither approach is wrong or right, just different, and I'd agree entirely with the comments that its mostly about amp/speaker interface. Sometimes components that have received very little attention can provide just the right sound. My Tannoys haven't really received widespread critical attention and yet, to me, they sound perfect in my room and with my equipment.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"]
NO hi-fi amplifier these days over £1000 is not better than another, you just need matching equipment for it - that's why WHFS&V have given the A38 3 stars and another hi-fi mag has given it 5 out of 5 on all tests, because on the equipment they used and in the room they were in with the right music and the right ears(!) it was just right! [/quote]

Actually Hi-fi Choice gave the A38 four stars for sound.....

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:NO hi-fi amplifier these days over £1000 is not better than another, you just need matching equipment for it

Hi-Fi is about balance.

Are you seriously saying you think no amp over 1000 is better than another over 1000? Because thats quite obviously not true. Or am I misreading the rather grammatically incorrect sentence? ;)

A

Anonymous

Back on topic and ignoring fr0g - I'll well looking forward to reviews of the FMJ CD37 - but particularly the CD17 at £500 seems a snip for an FMJ with the 'latest DAC chip' etc. compared to my CD93..............

:D

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Graham_Thomas:Back on topic and ignoring fr0g - I'll well looking forward to reviews of the FMJ CD37 - but particularly the CD17 at £500 seems a snip for an FMJ with the 'latest DAC chip' etc. compared to my CD93..............

:D

What exactly are you ignoring?
I assume you are mistaking my post for Hughes post. (Look at the quotes)
Please check and maybe an apology?
I absolutely think equipment can sound different, at whatever level!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts