New amplifier: my long journey...

Page 31 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
I am thinking about selling my beloved SFs *nea*
Don't!

Why you say that? :)

I am asking because I am torned indeed...listening to my heart (beautiful design, lovely and charming sound) or to my brain (I don't really use them anymore, I can still get decent money and maybe downgrade to something in the 1500€ range second hand).

My logic is as follows:

- Down the road, your life is likely to get less frantic and you will be glad that you held onto them.

- SF are modernising their sound, so if you get rid, they might be hard to get again.

- I suspect that there is nothing that you can replace them with that will fill the gap. At first you will try and convince yourself that your Proacs (or whatever) are a good compromise, but long term, you will gradually realise what you have lost.

BTW. It's good to see you.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
I am thinking about selling my beloved SFs *nea*
Don't!

Why you say that? :)

I am asking because I am torned indeed...listening to my heart (beautiful design, lovely and charming sound) or to my brain (I don't really use them anymore, I can still get decent money and maybe downgrade to something in the 1500€ range second hand).
My logic is as follows:

- Down the road, your life is likely to get less frantic and you will be glad that you held onto them.

- SF are modernising their sound, so if you get rid, they might be hard to get again.

- I suspect that there is nothing that you can replace them with that will fill the gap. At first you will try and convince yourself that your Proacs (or whatever) are a good compromise, but long term, you will gradually realise what you have lost.

BTW. It's good to see you.

Good thinking, especially that one in bold. I don't like the new version of the Guarneri Memento and despite an increase in price of almost 50% compared to mine, there is not great improvement in sound quality

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Exactly that was a fun Time the hunt :) only to do it again I would sell it all ;-)

Like I said last time I can't give you any advice on this one...

Like you I don't take the time that often any more to listen an some time I think about selling it all.... but than I don't know I'm actually scared I regret it not because I need it but just because I like what I have an I don't know what I will have in replacement an on the other hand are the few $ you get for it worth it....counting you provably payed more than you will get an you will have to get replacement gear.

I really don't know it's hard to say

I have the feeling sometimes I really put my heart an soul in the search to get to the sound I have a bit like an accomplishment maybe that is what I would regret the most if I get rid of it

But true it's something haunting my mind from time to time as well.

(ps. @ Alex if you sell your stuff you can always come to my place fore a listening session I only charge a bottle of wine *pleasantry* )

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Today I heard the SF Guarneri Memento's for myself hooked up to an Accuphase E560 and sadly, I was rather disappointed.

I was fully expecting it to be a match made in HiFi heaven, but whether it was the source or not, I can't be sure.

The highs were way too bright and a real lack of base... imagery was superb though.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Macspur said:
Today I heard the SF Guarneri Memento's for myself hooked up to an Accuphase E560 and sadly, I was rather disappointed.

I was fully expecting it to be a match made in HiFi heaven, but whether it was the source or not, I can't be sure.

The highs were way too bright and a real lack of base... imagery was superb though.

Mac

Mac, I had a similar experience with the new Olympica Is and the Franco Serblin Accordos. Quite different from my experience of owning the Cremona Auditor Ms. I don't think it's a question of new- vs old-style SFs (or those made under Serblin and those made after his departure).

There do seem to be quite a lot of Sonus fabers around on the second-hand market ATM.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:

Mac

Mac, you heard the latest generation or the penultimate (the one I have)?

I heard last one but wasn't very impressed myself (in sound and look)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
acalex said:
Macspur said:

Mac

Mac, you heard the latest generation or the penultimate (the one I have)?

I heard last one but wasn't very impressed myself (in sound and look)

Sorry Alex, I'm not sure. They were an old pair that the dealer is selling on behalf of a client.

Mac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts