New amp needed - recommendations?

Starless

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
My ancient but until recently wonderful old NAD 3130 is coming to the end of its life. Despite taking it apart and cleaning where I can, although there is some improvemet, it still sounds a bit "rough". So, I have to bite the bullet and buy a new amp.

I'm a long time out of the hi-fi market, and the choice is bewildering! I play CDs and vinyl, so a built-in phono stage would be preferable, though I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise. I have a Rega Planar record deck, Rega Planet CD player and KEF Q35.2 speakers. I prefer a "warm" sound with good bottom end, and I'm restricted to the budget end of things as money is tight, but let's say £400 max. Any thoughts?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Your sources scream Brio R, but have a look at this short thread

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/rega-brio-r-or-marantz-pm7004-or-pioneer-a50

Starless

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Found this review that kind of put me off the Brio, but of course I need to hear it for myself!
http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=53138

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Depends on your taste (and music) NAD are bass heavy, some say muddled unclear and the Rega is a more balanced open sound. You need to hear them.

If you are used to NAD it may take some adjusting to the Rega.

Fulci

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
That thread from VinylEngine put me off a little too from the Brio-R but I tried it anyway and had none of those issues whatsoever, just rewarded with an immense musicality. It is really a great amplifier. I guess the humming issues could be electrical problems from the OPs house or a bad cable or a even faulty unit...

but remember, it all depends on your ears and taste, so listening should be mandatory. Or get it somewhere where you can get a full refund if you don't like it, but the Brio-R only starts to really sing after 2-3 weeks, so this would be difficult to get the best out of it...

maybe you could look out for exposure 1010 too and get a rega fono mini. Or stick with Nad...

Baldrick1

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
If you are put off by the Brio-R then what about the Rotel RA-10? At around £350 it fits the budget. It the winner in the recent WHF Group test, and apparently has a superb (for the money) phono stage, and the sound is supposed to be exceptional for the money too.

Just a thought. :grin:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts