New amp advice...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I need some advice on what amp will go well with the following system: Sonos - DacMagic - Audiolab 8000s (15 yr old) - Neat Classic Elite SE. The speakers are a new addition and sound great but i've got a feeling that the amp may be holding them back?

I'd not bought anything Hi-Fi related in over 10 years prior to the Sonos and speakers so a bit behind the times and have no idea if a new, more modern amp may improve things. Not sure of budget but don't want to go crazy, maybe secondhand?

Thanks folks

T

the record spot

Perhaps you could try out a power amp to the Audiolab? The 8000S was a good amp then, it still is now and the means to add a power amp might be worth exploring first.

matthewpiano

Agree with RS. The 8000S is STILL one of the best sub £500 amps available and I think you would have to spend nearer £1k to really improve on it. Adding a power amp should make a big difference, particularly if you can use it to bi-amp rather than simply using is in a basic pre-power configuration.

If you do decide to change the amp I'd look at nothing less than a Naim Nait 5i which would have excellent synergy with your Neats. A Nait XS would be even better...

A

Anonymous

Thansk for the input guys i think i'll take a look at teh power amp option especially as they sem to be availbale on ebay at a good price. Can i ask what difference i can expect to the sound?

T

the record spot

Not too sure to be honest, but the added power amp would probably drive the bass driver and the 8000S the treble. More power's never a bad thing, but you ought to see more power to manage the speaker drivers and with it more 'body'.

I use two Sansui amps from the 1970s - the AU217 and the AU717. Tonally, they're not worlds apart, but the 717 brings greater dynamism and a bit more control to the proceedings. It's as if the music becomes a bit more corporeal. The 217's good, excellent in fact, especially with the Missions I use, but the 717 just adds a bit more. I suspect you'd find the same (or similar) with the Audiolabs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts