New album releases

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 160668

Cool. Glad you liked it. His first album ‘Soul Pirate’ was an absolute cracker and worth a listen too.

My fav song off that album was ‘Precious’

Ps - did you check out Protoje too? Thoughts? Different style of reggae, very bouncy.

If you get a chance he’s amazing live. A full crowd bopping event (which is a rarity).

insider9

I've not had a chance to listen to Protoje until today. And not sure if it's my faul mood or cooler weather but not feeling it. I don't dislike it just too cheerful for me *dash1*

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to revisit in a while. I can see it working very well live.

insider9

Florence + The Machine "High As Hope" released 29th June.

Only listened to it when driving so far. Albums seems quite dark which I like. I can't offer comparisons to previous albums as only heard singles. Anyone else listened to it?

D

Deleted member 160668

Yes, but can’t comment as was weeks ago, so a dull musical memory.

She has a great voice (generally speaking and not related to this album).

Will have a relisten and let you know what I think... But not at the moment as I’m currently post-bbq house music thumping myself. *big grin again*!! Thinking the neighbours might have gone on hols.

Windows not fell out my house yet though so we’re all good. Although I’m working on it...Lol.

D

Deleted member 160668

I’m generally pretty restrained with the volume as its a solid walled semi, so paper thin divide. But when they’re out/away I do try to deafen myself in style!

Only big hifi regret in life to date is that the other house we almost bought (couldn’t choose between the two), I’ve since been past as the actually deaf neighbours walked out... Doh - missed opportunity, shoulda bought the other one. Lol.

Sorry for thread derail peeps.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm loving this:

418WDUX7vpL._AC_US218_.jpg

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
Also rumours of new albums by both Tool and A Perfect Circle. I'd be perfectly happy with any of these.

TOOL / DEAD CAN DANCE / SUEDE / ORBITAL

https://open.spotify.com/track/1QJJzBsAoxjUwsoLuOVU9q?si=k2QSUGAhRDSjGZWeTl3MVg

https://open.spotify.com/track/2SXltUBZedk6WmygiYpwTB?si=Ghjd12OMQASaefS80ebreQ

insider9

Who's impressed you this year? Please share!

This is probably a nice refresher if you've missed out on anything. List below is what I've enjoyed most. Some more than others and I'm sure there's many that I've missed.

My top picks sorted into categories

Alternative/Indie Rock - Low Cut Connie - Dirty Pictures (Part 2)

Blues - Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa - Black Coffee

Country - Ashley Monroe - Sparrow

Electronic - Tom Misch - Geography

Folk - Olivia Chaney - Shelter

Indie - Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks - Sparkle Hard

Jazz - Kamasi Washington - Heaven and Earth

Live - Melody Gardot - Live in Europe / Keith Jarrett - After the Fall

Metal - Machine Head - Catharsis

Pop/Rock - Dave Matthews Band - Come Tomorrow / Lake Street Dive - Free Yourself Up

Pirate Metal :) - Legend of the Seagullmen - Legend of the Seagullmen

Rock - Iceage - Beyondless

Rock (Acoustic) - Myles Kennedy - Year of the Tiger

Reggae - Alborosie - Unbreakable: Alborosie Meets the Wailers United

R&B / Pop - Janelle Monae - Dirty Computer

Singer Songwriter - Glen Hansard - Between Two Shores

Vocal Jazz - Kurt Elling - The Questions

World Music - Orquesta Akokan - Orquesta Akokan

Most anticipated and disappointing- A Perfect Circle - Eat the Elephant

Released this year however not entirely new - John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album

Interesting new female vocals - Jorja Smith - Lost & Found

Interesting new male vocals - River Matthews - Imogen

D

Deleted member 160668

Few highlights of my year so far, not new releases, but new to me:

Masego - a one man music machine, who plays just about everything possible. Great video on YouTube of him playing ‘Tadow’ with FKJ. Also saw him live and he is incredibly skilled.

FKJ - as above, similar, perhaps a little more chilled. Album: French Kiwi Juice

Arctic Lake - Super-chilled ambient music, similar in genre to London Grammar. Excellent vocalist.

Ps - Tom Misch’s first album ‘Beat Tape2’ is well worth a listen if you liked Geography. It’s better in my opinion. Saw him live this year too!

insider9

Yes, I've listened to Tom Misch's first album too. It could be that I've heard Geography first that exposed me to his style that I prefer. But the first one is very good too. You won't mistake him for someone else, which is high praise indeed.

I've never heard of the artists you mention. They'll be going on my huge "To listen" list. It may take a while before I do though. I keep coming back to this thread and pick out recommendations at random when I don't know what to listen for. With many people contributing it's quite fun.

Thanks for all the recommendations!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Agree with most of those that I know anyway. A few you may want to try are: Country: Brothers Osbourne - Port Saint Joe and Ashley McBryde - Girl Going Nowhere

Singer/Songwriter: Holly Arrowsmith - A Dawn I Remember and Damien Jurado - The Horizon Just Laughed

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Agree with most of those that I know anyway. A few you may want to try are: Country: Brothers Osbourne - Port Saint Joe and Ashley McBryde - Girl Going Nowhere

Singer/Songwriter: Holly Arrowsmith - A Dawn I Remember and Damien Jurado - The Horizon Just Laughed

insider9

I remeber Damien Jurado as a recommendation, also remember it not being on Tidal. It might have been yourself who recommended it. I've looked again, but it's still not there.

I've not listened to others yet, so will add them to my list. Thanks!

How do you perceive music released this year? What do you think of overall standard? Any genres doing better than others? Any absolute favourites?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
insider9 said:
I remeber Damien Jurado as a recommendation, also remember it not being on Tidal. It might have been yourself who recommended it. I've looked again, but it's still not there.

I've not listened to others yet, so will add them to my list. Thanks!

How do you perceive music released this year? What do you think of overall standard? Any genres doing better than others? Any absolute favourites?

Yes Damien Jurado is not on many streaming services, had to play it on Spotify.

Music this year I think is similar standard to 2017, stand outs so far are Glen Hansard - Between Two Shores and Damien Jurado. Not really played Holly Arrowsmith album much yet as only just released. Still awaiting Kristina Train's new album. Not finding much I really like but that is nothing new these days. I think R&B/Hip-Hop is continuing to gain, classical, country and jazz continue to decline. Cds sales fall, vinyl still growing? Streaming is taking over.

insider9

Glen Hansard was my first favourite this year too. I really need to get my hands on Damien Jurado :)

For now Kamasi Wasington is leading the race for album of the year. I don't think as a whole Jazz has been that bad. Lots of average albums but a few great ones. I'm really looking forward to some proper Metal and Rock releases as the standard has been below average in these categories.

D

Deleted member 160668

Kamasi Wasington.

Will try this later if you reckon album of year.

Great name too!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts