Never ends!

Nas88

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to start another topic on ruddie speaker cables but I just need a broader aspect just in-case I'm missing something.

I have now chosen my first ever hifi system with the Rotel RA06se and B&W 684s. The thing I missed crucially as it turns out, was my research on speakers cables. Now when I demoed the above, it was as I was told played through QED Evolution XT. Loved the detailing, great bass response and a nice grip too. The thing I wasn't too sure about was after an hour or so, my ears did start to hurt due to brightness, I'm guessing silver cabling and rotel amp is the problem? So, 'hifilover1979' suggest upgrading to QED Revelations but the total for this, 2 meters to each speaker and 8 Airloc plugs is £94(not bi-wired!

Now do I.....

A - Go with what the hifi dealer has offered which is 2 meters to each speaker of Evolution Bi-wire with plugs for £56

B - Or stick with what I heard in the shop, single cabled Evolution and then later on down the line upgrade to Revelation bi-wires?

C - Give me other options to look into to get the best out of my setup within a reasonable budget.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Easy...

If the QED Revelation speaker cable is too much (as stated in the other post) go for the Chord Carnival Silverscreen speaker cable

It's a superb cable and will work really well in the Rotel/B&W set-up
emotion-11.gif

Nas88:

Sorry to start another topic on ruddie speaker cables but I just need a broader aspect just in-case I'm missing something.

I have now chosen my first ever hifi system with the Rotel RA06se and B&W 684s. The thing I missed crucially as it turns out, was my research on speakers cables. Now when I demoed the above, it was as I was told played through QED Evolution XT. Loved the detailing, great bass response and a nice grip too. The thing I wasn't too sure about was after an hour or so, my ears did start to hurt due to brightness, I'm guessing silver cabling and rotel amp is the problem? So, 'hifilover1979' suggest upgrading to QED Revelations but the total for this, 2 meters to each speaker and 8 Airloc plugs is £94(not bi-wired!

Now do I.....

A - Go with what the hifi dealer has offered which is 2 meters to each speaker of Evolution Bi-wire with plugs for £56

B - Or stick with what I heard in the shop, single cabled Evolution and then later on down the line upgrade to Revelation bi-wires?

C - Give me other options to look into to get the best out of my setup within a reasonable budget.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Chord SilverScreen...
emotion-21.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I really wouldn't go mad with the speaker cables. Van Damme cables have all the detail of QED, but none of the overt brightness. I have Studio Grade Blue. 2 x 2 metre runs and a couple of gold screw-tighten banana plugs will cost you less than £20, so nice and cheap, too

HERE'S where they are. I've used this company before. They're one of the cheapest out there and they deliver next day.

Banana plugs HERE

matthewpiano

Another vote for Chord Carnival Silverscreen here. I've used Rumour 2 in the past (approximately twice the price) but actually prefer the Carnival Silverscreen, which (despite its name) is actually a copper cable. It is excellent and probably as good a cable as you will ever need.

Nas88

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
hifilover1979:
Easy...

If the QED Revelation speaker cable is too much (as stated in the other post) go for the Chord Carnival Silverscreen speaker cable

It's a superb cable and will work really well in the Rotel/B&W set-up
emotion-11.gif

hifilover1979, looks like I was wrong to doubt your outstanding knowledge and for that I apologise. I might go for these in bi-wire as its working out cheaper than Revelation in single form!

Another question I have is when the time comes to collect my hifi gear and bring home. How do I run them in? I mean, the amp is an ex-demo model but the speakers and wires will be new. Do I leave it playing for hours on end? Or do I come back home, have a quiet listen to some music now and again? Any pointers o masters of hifi?

A

Anonymous

No worries
emotion-5.gif

Personally, for running in a system I've always found that just using it normally works a treat!

That way you can enjoy the music whilst listening to it etc...

You could also leave the system running if youre out & about (loud enough to get some movement through the speakers but not too loud to upset passers by
emotion-14.gif
)

Nas88

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Ah this is the thing, I've bought this system on the basis when my rooms completed. At the moment it will be in the lounge, so loud is going to be a problem while everyone else is watching TV and gone to bed.

When I was auditioning stuff at Richersounds, the guy told me about another way of running in your speakers which sounded like mad science to me but also rather useful if you don't want your music on too loud while running in. He said to face each speaker against one another, wire one up out of phase and then play music overnight. This way 1 set of speakers is simultaneously doing the same thing? Does this work?!?

A

Anonymous

It sure does, the drivers will be doing the opposite of each other so the sound waves are at opposite points of there cycle and cancel each other out rather than adding to each other.

For best effect, play a mono signal - otherwise the speakers will be playing different things and it wont work quite as well.

I also throw a rug over the top and bung the ports if they are rear or downward firing.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
To run your speakers in, and also for a bit of a workout from time to time, you might be able to get hold of a CD that Isotek produced called a "Full System Enhancer and Rejuvenation Disc" just google Isotek CD and you'll see a few places where you can get it for about 16 quid - it has several tracks of noise that will exercise your speakers. Takes about half an hour, and works the speakers through all the frequencies.

I suppose new speakers are like an athlete's muscles - they need to be stretched and massaged to get them moving as fluidly and responsively as possible. The Isotek disc might be what you need.

A

Anonymous

Yes a DAC will improve the sound a good deal; the DVD player would be a good transport

Depends how much you want to spend though really

A good example of an Arcam CD72 CD player on eBay wouldnt go for much more than £120 - £140! It's a very good CDP as well!

DandyCobalt:
To run your speakers in, and also for a bit of a workout from time to time, you might be able to get hold of a CD that Isotek produced called a "Full System Enhancer and Rejuvenation Disc" just google Isotek CD and you'll see a few places where you can get it for about 16 quid - it has several tracks of noise that will exercise your speakers. Takes about half an hour, and works the speakers through all the frequencies.

I suppose new speakers are like an athlete's muscles - they need to be stretched and massaged to get them moving as fluidly and responsively as possible. The Isotek disc might be what you need.

Hi DandyCobalt

Ime tracks which feature noises/tones to burn in equipment ultimately leave a system sounding sterile. I've found this then takes at least a few days before a system begins to sound natural. My advise is to let components/systems loosen up by playing music/movie soundtracks.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Nas88

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm still trying to understand this Digital to Analogue conversion system. The DVD/CD player I have, has 1 already. Using a seperate DAC with this would be better than a dedicated CD Player?

Rick, so should I just listen to my own music to let all the components run in? What if I hook my speakers upto the amp and then to the TV? A mix of vocals and music might work?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts