Network player vs Mac mini

Wayneraynes

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi there seeking guidance. Current setup Naim NAP150x NAC 152xs pre and power amp, Rega speaker - now looking for a source.

I am debating with myself whether to go for a dedicated network streamer such as Pioneer N50a, Cambridge Stream Magic 6v2, or a sideways move to Mac Mini with separate DAC. I have a current iMac (too far away) plus want to keep separate from hifi.

I have an extensive music library (about 300Gb) and I listen to a lot of Internet radio - both possible in either type of device -

Mac mini would have its own library on its internal hdd
Streamer would require NAS, external HDD or stream from iMac

Anybody any thoughts on device and best solution for storing ??

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
It would also depend if you had any intention of using external streaming services, if so the stream magic sounds very good with its up sampling engine and built in Spotify.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Been using a Mac Mini for about a year and have found it to be a trouble-free, discrete, high quality source.

Using Audirvana Plus tied to iTunes library. Have also added a further 1Tb hard drive internally to the Mini's original 500Gb. iPhone remote works seamlessly with it and can also stream its entire library by WiFi to use with iTunes on my MacBook Pro in my secondary system.

It streams directly to my Devialet over WiFi or USB.

I can also stream from Qobuz desktop on the Mini.

I see no reason to use a Network Player.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Been using a Mac Mini for about a year and have found it to be a trouble-free, discrete, high quality source.

Using Audirvana Plus

I see no reason to use a Network Player.

I've had a few dedicated streamers over the past four years or so but the above, for me, has been brilliant. I run the Mac Mini into a Meridian Explorer DAC and I'm very happy with the results.

Wayneraynes

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
It seems that your solution offers greater flexibility than a dedicated streamer. With the variety of DAC's on the market it seems a good route to take.

the entry level Mac mini seems attractive with an upgraded HDD or even one attached externally.

Any thoughts?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I use an external NAS as I'm not a big fan of itunes but if you do then using an external HDD or beefing up the internal on the Mac Mini is a good way

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts