Need advice on buying new system

HMD

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I intend to buy a system that includes cd player, turntable, amp (tube or not?) and speakers. I have a budget of arround £2000.

I must say that I am new in this Hi-Fi world and I would appreciate some advice from people that are more experienced than me.

So, anything you can tell me I will be very important, even if you say the money I have is not enough to buy anything good.

Thank you.

Regards,

Hugo

alienmango

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Ebay search this: arcam alpha 9 and alpha 9 power amplifier. Alternately alpha 10 and 10p, nad c370 and c270. Or start looking at higher end amps second hand single integrated rather than biamping eg kandy k2/something from naim.

If you want new stuff just go to a hifi store and audition lots of stuff.

Speakers.....do you want floorstanders? bookshelves? sub?

Can't really help with cd player/turntable

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
HMD said:
Hi everyone,

I intend to buy a system that includes cd player, turntable, amp (tube or not?) and speakers. I have a budget of arround £2000.

I must say that I am new in this Hi-Fi world and I would appreciate some advice from people that are more experienced than me.

So, anything you can tell me I will be very important, even if you say the money I have is not enough to buy anything good.

Thank you.

Regards,

Hugo

Here you go :

AMP : Roksan Kandy k2 :dance:

CDP : Cambridge Audio Azur 350C :bounce:

Speakers : B&W 685 :rockout:

Turntable : Pro-Ject Debut Carbon :boohoo:

All are rated 5 stars and arround £2000 in total .

Don't think you can find better in this price level . The budget you have is enough to buy a quite good system .:cheer:

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
If you're going for a CDP I would suggest you go for one with an optical in socket. Then you can simply add an airport express or suchlike and use the DAC in your CDP to stream music from Spotify etc.

Apportion your budget appoximately in thirds for CDP, amp and speakers. If you choose to buy new then of course you won't get the same value, but it all depends on what you are looking for and just how closely you listen to your music. £2k is plenty enough to get a good system new, but it could get an excellent system second hand.

Other important point is what sort of music you are going to listen to and different brands all have strengths and weaknesses. The more info you can give the forum the better advice you'll get.

HMD

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
JoelSim said:
If you're going for a CDP I would suggest you go for one with an optical in socket. Then you can simply add an airport express or suchlike and use the DAC in your CDP to stream music from Spotify etc.

Apportion your budget appoximately in thirds for CDP, amp and speakers. If you choose to buy new then of course you won't get the same value, but it all depends on what you are looking for and just how closely you listen to your music. £2k is plenty enough to get a good system new, but it could get an excellent system second hand.

Other important point is what sort of music you are going to listen to and different brands all have strengths and weaknesses. The more info you can give the forum the better advice you'll get.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I'm afraid of buying used but of course it's one possibility (I don't have the knoledge to evaluate used electronic stuff).

The kind of music wil go from jazz (lots of sax and trompet), some electronic and bossa nova (man and women singing).

Regards,

Hugo

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
There are so many systems and options it difficult to advise, best advise is to go to a dealer and hear some, take your own music, wide range, jazz is a quite a good test, drums cymbals, piano and double bass are all good tests.

Best amp I heard was Creek 50A £700 but not many dealers, I heard lots of diiferent systems but did not find anything I really like until I heard the AVI ADM 9RSS, these are active speakers and have the amps and dacs inside th speakers, so all you need is a source like cd player.

Suggested passive sytem Creek 50A and Kef R100s that will leave about £700 for sources. AVI have a few dealers, 1 in London and 1 in Birmingham and 2 in Gloucestershire, also you can hear at the factory in Gloucestershire. Or you can try at home for upto 30 days but you will have to pay to return if don't want to keep them. Creek you can also try at home for 14 days I believe.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts