Need advice for new desktop speaker

JohanEk

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
Today I have a pair of Heco Ascada 2.0 active speakers. Got them plugged into an Aune X1s Pro DAC and I also have a Heco MusicStyle 25A subwoofer.
Would like to replace the active Hecos for something else. Preferably not active.

Have been looking at a number of speakers, the most interesting right now Triangle Esprit Titus EZ.
Will also be needing a compact amplifier.

Can't be too big speaker nor amplifier as this is for my desktop when I'm at the computer.

Any suggestions? =)

In my opinion you're wasting your money putting speakers such as these on a desktop and expecting them to perform well as a nearfield monitor.
No doubt others will be along with more appropriate suggestions.
Perhaps adding your maximum budget for the speakers might be helpful.

Reactions: JohanEk

JohanEk

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
That's what I want! Any suggestions, recommendations are welcome! :) Thanks for the answer.

The budget for the speakers alone are around 1000 euro. Around 770 british pounds I think.

D

Deleted member 116933

Today I have a pair of Heco Ascada 2.0 active speakers. Got them plugged into an Aune X1s Pro DAC and I also have a Heco MusicStyle 25A subwoofer.
Would like to replace the active Hecos for something else. Preferably not active.

Have been looking at a number of speakers, the most interesting right now Triangle Esprit Titus EZ.
Will also be needing a compact amplifier.

Can't be too big speaker nor amplifier as this is for my desktop when I'm at the computer.

Any suggestions? =)

Amps i can't help with as that will depend on the type of speaker you buy/plan to buy but you wont need lashes of power for a desktop system. But i'd look at monitor companies such ATC, PMC, focal and a few others.

Id seriously reconsider active though and take a look at Genelec

May be a devialet phantom reactor speakers Pricey though EDIT scratch these just saw your budget

JohanEk

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
Amps i can't help with as that will depend on the type of speaker you buy/plan to buy but you wont need lashes of power for a desktop system. But i'd look at monitor companies such ATC, PMC, focal and a few others.

Id seriously reconsider active though and take a look at Genelec

May be a devialet phantom reactor speakers Pricey though EDIT scratch these just saw your budget

Yeah I am very interested in trying something else than active but I understand its probably the best for a desktop system.
Have been looking at Klipsch The Sixes as well.

IF I go active again, they MUST have a subwoofer output as well as RCA so I can connect an external DAC.

D

Deleted member 116933

Yeah I am very interested in trying something else than active but I understand its probably the best for a desktop system.
Have been looking at Klipsch The Sixes as well.

IF I go active again, they MUST have a subwoofer output as well as RCA so I can connect an external DAC.

Genelec have you well covered for all your input and bass needs. It where id start and have a package on their site that seems to fit your budget.

The Klipsch would be a good shout

Hummm; Speakers that worked well close to me in the past were Kef and there UNi Q drivers and partnered really well with Rotel (not the smallest amps but very slender hight wise)

Normal Klipsch speakers would also work really well. My Heresy's for example actually work quite well as you get closer to them imaging stays in the centre really well. The Rp range will work a treat. And then you could run them with some lovely tube amps for a different flavour. (sub can be connected through high-level connections or preamp outs) 5-10 watts a piece will really get them going, believe it or not as they're a really easy load. food for thought just spitballing a little.

TBH honest the worlds your oyster with your budget.

Not sure if they'll work for you but I know someone who uses Tannoy Platinum B6's in a similar set-up, or the smaller KEFs as already mentioned would be good.
Also highly rated by an American friend are the SVS Ultra bookshelf speakers, assuming you can find some second-hand as I believe in the UK they are closer to £1000
I have used my smaller Quad speakers in a similar set-up too.
I will not add any active or powered to the list as not my area of expertise.

I would shift more of the budget towards the amp, and look at something like Quad Vena 2/Cyrus One HD + Triangle BR01, Dali Spektor 1 (maybe 2), PSB Alpha P3.

Otherwise, Kef LSX are well worth considering.
Quite so, in my experience with desktop non-active speakers the best seem to be sealed box with single point transducers like the Tannoy and KEFs and I think the emphasis is on closed-box.

Last edited:

12oner

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Not sure if they'll work for you but I know someone who uses Tannoy Platinum B6's in a similar set-up, or the smaller KEFs as already mentioned would be good.
Also highly rated by an American friend are the SVS Ultra bookshelf speakers, assuming you can find some second-hand as I believe in the UK they are closer to £1000
I have used my smaller Quad speakers in a similar set-up too.
I will not add any active or powered to the list as not my area of expertise.
Hi Al!

Happy Friday. Could I ask your opinion on how the Tannoy Platinum B6's sound? Understand it's all subjective but there is hardly anywhere that stocks these, also very little info on sound, apart from the bigger floorstanders.

Does Tannoy tend to have a signature sound?

Wondered if they were good in any of these regards, detail/weighty mids/soundstage?

Many thanks:)

Hi Al!

Happy Friday. Could I ask your opinion on how the Tannoy Platinum B6's sound? Understand it's all subjective but there is hardly anywhere that stocks these, also very little info on sound, apart from the bigger floorstanders.

Does Tannoy tend to have a signature sound?

Wondered if they were good in any of these regards, detail/weighty mids/soundstage?

Many thanks:)
Too long ago to remember what they sounded like apart from good.
There's no point in talking about a house sound because what I hear is not going to be what you hear, although I would say they appeared to me to be neutral.
If you're after something similar yourself I suggest you go audition something that you can find rather than seeking something that's hard to find.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts