NAS upgrade question

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Chisy1 said:
bigboss said:
I managed to get some movies play on PS3, but not all. The Apple TV is connected to my bedroom TV. This brings me to another dilemma. How do I get all the videos play on my Kuro in the lounge? My AV receiver has only 4 HDMI inputs, & I have no intentions to add an HDMI splitter. I already have PS3, Sky HD, blu ray player & .......ooh, looks like I may have an empty HDMI slot! Let me check... :clap:

Another jail broken ATV2, although not easy to come by except on eBay for ££££.

You could pick upan ATV3 but you would then need iTunes running to stream to it. Where do you watch most TV/films, if on Kuro move the ATV2 to that and connect ATV3 to bedroom? ATV3 around £85 on Amazon.

ATV3 cannot be jailbroken as yet. I want both TVs to play any movie I want, from the NAS. I was thinking more in terms of media players like Boxee TV, with is also AirPlay compatible. I'll start a new thread.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
RAID6 is only appropriate for NAS with more than 4-bays.

For a 4-bay NAS you would do better to use RAID10. This will give the same redundancy as RAID6 but MUCH better performance.

I'd still recommend raid5 for 4bays, with MTBF for modern drives being around 1m hours (114 years), giving u 9TB.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Bb,

How quiet or loud the synology you would say is? Is it suitable to be located in a living room from noise pov? Or is it noisy enough to have to be cofined to a spare room or inside a cupboard?

Does it have a constant noise or does it vary with the fan kicking in, disks spinning or not spinning etc?

AlmaataKZ said:
Bb,

How quiet or loud the synology you would say is? Is it suitable to be located in a living room from noise pov? Or is it noisy enough to have to be cofined to a spare room or inside a cupboard?

Does it have a constant noise or does it vary with the fan kicking in, disks spinning or not spinning etc?

It's just an extremely low hum (audible from 15-20cm away), much quieter than my WD NAS. I think it's mainly because of WD Red hard drive. I'm sure you can keep it in the living room.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
That's a brilliant write up! :clap:

How many days in total did it take to set everything up?

Thanks – and far, far too long!
smiley-wink.gif

Including research, mistakes, incidents and accidents, the day job and everything else, it's been going on for about two weeks, as my now NAS-saga-weary colleagues will attest.
smiley-sealed.gif

But have just ordered the UPS, which will be delivered tomorrow, so by tomorrow evening it should all be done and dusted. For now, anyway...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
Bb,

I've got the 412+ model behind my sofa and I can't hear it all unless the room is completely silent.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
whoam1 said:
It's a pity that it's now impossible to source WD Red drives in either 2 or 3TB sizes.

AFAIK it's a supply and demand problem, caused by interest in the product since it was launched a couple of months back. I guess most people will go for the larger drives for this kind of application, hence the shortage of them.

But I'll ask the question of WD's UK PR people, and report back.

whoam1

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:

Thanks.

All the suppliers I've contacted are in the dark as to when they'll receive more stock.

I'll wait to see what WD themselves say before looking for an alternative.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
whoam1 said:
Andrew Everard said:

Thanks.

All the suppliers I've contacted are in the dark as to when they'll receive more stock.

I'll wait to see what WD themselves say before looking for an alternative.

They'll say "Gosh these drives are so popular we're struggling to keep up with demand but be patient we'll have stock back in the shops as soon as possible.".

They're not going to say "We decided to only build a few thousand and now we can't be bothered to make any more so you'll have to look for something else.".

Does that help you? If you want a WD Red you'll have to wait, if you don't want to wait buy something else, it's not exactly worth making a fuss over.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
AlmaataKZ said:
Bb,

It's just an extremely low hum (audible from 15-20cm away), much quieter than my WD NAS. I think it's mainly because of WD Red hard drive. I'm sure you can keep it in the living room.

Thanks!

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
professorhat said:
AlmaataKZ said:
Bb,

I've got the 412+ model behind my sofa and I can't hear it all unless the room is completely silent.

Thanks!

I was tracking this drive since launch, & sensing its popularity (the price of Synology & QNAP briefly went up on Amazon when WD Red was available to order), I did not expect it to drop in price anytime soon (at least not in 2012).

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hot-deals/western-digital-nas-hdd-red-available-to-order

So I bought it from Scan computers when the price of Synology dropped.

I expected it to be in short supply, but did not anticipate that UK will run out of stock completely!

Meanwhile, the price of the next most popular drive for NAS has been steadily dropping:

http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Western-Digital-6Gbps-Saving-Internal/product/B004VFJ9MK?active=summary&utm_campaign=products&utm_source=camel-view-product&utm_medium=email

It's now £77.99:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-6Gbps-Saving-Internal/dp/B004VFJ9MK?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ7T5BOVUVRD2EFYQ&tag=camelcamelcam-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B004VFJ9MK

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Just had this response from WD's European HQ:

"We are shipping again high capacity red drives into the UK channel starting as early as next week – we completely underestimated demand, the channel was very supportive of our new NAS drive and we were completely sold out!"

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:

"We are shipping again high capacity red drives into the UK channel starting as early as next week – we completely underestimated demand, the channel was very supportive of our new NAS drive and we were completely sold out!"

So, pretty much exactly what I said then?

whoam1

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:

Thanks Andrew.

However, they have been saying this to their tier 1 distributor channel (rather than just resellers) for some time now.

I had been told that they had encountered some problems, not unusual for a new product, and that was hampering their ability to ramp-up production.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
You could also use Samsung/Seagate Pipeline series HD - which are both quieter and more effecient.

Noise - Read Idle (db)

WD - 24/23

SG - 22/19

Power Consumption - Read Idle (W)

WD - 4.4/4.1

SG - 4.5/0.145

whoam1

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
You could also use Samsung/Seagate Pipeline series HD - which are both quieter and more effecient.

Noise - Read Idle (db)

WD - 24/23

SG - 22/19

Power Consumption - Read Idle (W)

WD - 4.4/4.1

SG - 4.5/0.145

Hi, looked at those Seagate drives but the highest capacity is 2TB whereas I've decided to go for 2 x 3TB.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts