Nait 5i rubbish with I touch

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Makes me wonder, could you plug a set of AVI ADM9.1 into the laptop socket on trains that offer them?

A

Anonymous

Now I will know who to blame when my train is late because of the wrong kind of power outage.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
Ashley James:I've got a touch and it's okay through the hi fi, but not great, I have a shuffle too and it's excellent. However why would anyone want to connect an iPod to a hi fi system. Far better to use iTunes, which has to be the best media player on the planet. I have an Apple TV, a Mac Mini, a Macbook Pro and an iMac and all sound like very good if not the best CD players. I control them all with my Touch and use it to send emails etc. If you're using a Windows Machine then £50 spent on an M-Audio Transit will give you a very good CD player provided your Amp can cope with the little bit of RF there is on the output, if it can you'll have an amazing CD player. Dolphin Music do them. Ash

Alternatively you could just pop a CD in the tray, sit back and relax in the full knowledge that you aren't going to waste time ripping music to a laptop, which all gets lost when the computer invariably fails. Or you could store it on a hard drive and waste some more time, money and space.

Funny how convenient things end up being less convenient

Wasting time, money and space??!!! A quick look at your equipment list (lots of amps and big passive speakers), and all the CD's cluttering up your home shows us how to waste money and space !!

CD's will continue to have a following for some time still (I'll keep buying them, ripping them and putting the original in the loft), but a quick look at any of the sales figures for music formats shows that they will soon be joining a little club that includes good old cassette, mini disc, and, even to some extent, vinyl. Sad but true. High def downloads (higher than CD quality) are increasing all the time and that will only help CD on it's way..................

A

Anonymous

Lion approached the Yellow Brick Road with caution in mind...

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
tino001:

CD's will continue to have a following for some time still (I'll keep buying them, ripping them and putting the original in the loft), but a quick look at any of the sales figures for music formats shows that they will soon be joining a little club that includes good old cassette, mini disc, and, even to some extent, vinyl. Sad but true. High def downloads (higher than CD quality) are increasing all the time and that will only help CD on it's way..................

Maybe CD's are on their way out, but I think the current download technology is a very clumsy replacement for CDs. I do not see CD's being made obsolete by downloading the way it exists today. It is unstandardized and complicated. There are 100 different ways to download, store, rip, stream, and transfer digital music. And you must have a computer and manage everything yourself. Want to backup your music? Again, 100 different ways to do it and you're on your own.

Nope, this is not the CD killer by a long shot. Yes, it's popular and has a big following, but it's still a lame mess and CD's will not become obsolete until it is super simple, standardized, your data is protected, and of course it matches CD quality. Also, my computer should not be mandatory in the equation. I'm in the computer business and I don't want to mess with them to listen to music, so I'm sure there are millions that feel the same.

A

Anonymous

Agreed jaxwired, there are a lot of ways to currently do things. But anyone who's used itunes, as an example, will see how very simple it can be. It even offers to back up files automatically for you.

The only downside with itunes is the lack of high bit-rate material - but I'm sure that'll come very soon.

A

Anonymous

OP here !

I didn't realise what a war I'd start. Apologies all round !

Ipod's have the appearance of convenience and I guess as an amateur you think the equation simple : I touch sounds good in my ears why not good through my hi fi amp ( lossless or not , dac or not, Naim or not )

But of course it's never that simple.

What is bizarre is that headphone jack from I touch to aux out Teac 300 sounds very acceptable but a similar interface with Naim via RCA phonos is pants. And the answer " Teac is rubbish in comparison with Naim " is itself confusing.

I guess the solution maybe to cut out the ipod and go straight from the computer via Itunes or other to the line in on the Naim Nait

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
tino001:

Agreed jaxwired, there are a lot of ways to currently do things. But anyone who's used itunes, as an example, will see how very simple it can be. It even offers to back up files automatically for you.

The only downside with itunes is the lack of high bit-rate material - but I'm sure that'll come very soon.

tino you're a good man and you make a good point, however, I still feel that even iTunes is not simple enough. For instance, have you ever had to consider bit rate formats for CD playback? The average non-techie does not want to know about bit rates.

But I do use iTunes myself and I agree, it is easy. I'm just addressing whether we have truly arrived at CD obsolesence yet...

idc

jaxwired: I'm just addressing whether we have truly arrived at CD obsolesence yet...

I do not think that we will ever arrive at CD obsolesence. CDs are a very good product with many conveniences, there are billions of them out there and they play in CDPs, DVDs, computers and have taken over from cassettes in car stereos. Vinyl has not become obsolesent because it retains many fans of the actual product and its sound. Obsolesence is for the likes of cassettes and minidisc, where there are obvious disadvantages or the format never took off in the first place.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:

Alternatively you could just pop a CD in the tray, sit back and relax in the full knowledge that you aren't going to waste time ripping music to a laptop, which all gets lost when the computer invariably fails. Or you could store it on a hard drive and waste some more time, money and space.

Funny how convenient things end up being less convenient

I couldnt agree more with this. I can not see the attraction of having to boot up a laptop just to play my music. My music boot up procedure involves me getting up from the sofa. Going to my shelf. Selecting CD. Pressing open on CD. Inserting CD. Pressing play.

I have an iPod and a dock which plugs in to my cheap amp I use in the lounge, for this the iPod is a real winner as otherwise I would need another CD player which takes up more space, and ofcourse more money. But for my main listening room, CD all the way.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
idc:

I do not think that we will ever arrive at CD obsolesence. CDs are a very good product with many conveniences,

For me I feel like I am being short changed when I buy something from iTunes. When I buy music I want to be able to see it, and read the sleeve, and stick it on the shelf with all the other ones I have bought. I would guess there are many people just like me, and for that reason I dont think we will see the end of CD for a very long time.

idc

peebs:

OP here !

I didn't realise what a war I'd start. Apologies all round !

Ipod's have the appearance of convenience and I guess as an amateur you think the equation simple : I touch sounds good in my ears why not good through my hi fi amp ( lossless or not , dac or not, Naim or not )

But of course it's never that simple.

What is bizarre is that headphone jack from I touch to aux out Teac 300 sounds very acceptable but a similar interface with Naim via RCA phonos is pants. And the answer " Teac is rubbish in comparison with Naim " is itself confusing.

I guess the solution maybe to cut out the ipod and go straight from the computer via Itunes or other to the line in on the Naim Nait

Hi peebs. I do not think you need to apologise for anything. PC vs CD is the new vinyl vs CD and debates rage on this subject like DACmagic vs Beresford!

The sound of the ipod touch on its own as opposed to through the Naim or a Teac is all about equipment matching, a subject that results in hundreds of post. 'Teac is rubbish in comparison with Naim' is part of the matching process and a valid comment (though your experience is the other way around).

idc

JamesOK:

For me I feel like I am being short changed when I buy something from iTunes. When I buy music I want to be able to see it, and read the sleeve, and stick it on the shelf with all the other ones I have bought. I would guess there are many people just like me, and for that reason I dont think we will see the end of CD for a very long time.

Too right JamesOK, downloads are worthless

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
idc:JamesOK:

Too right JamesOK, downloads are worthless

emotion-2.gif
As its something I feel reasonably strongly about I did watch that thread unfold a few weeks back !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts