NaimUniti - plus bookshelf speakers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Evlampi:
Veneer. Cherry / Black Ash - it is from the official atc site :)

So i guess it is veneer , not vinyl

Does it say 'wood' or 'real'?

Anyway I am phoning them tomorrow to put this one to rest. I have spent a good amount of time in the same room as these speakers (SCM11's) and I am convinced they are not wood veneered. It does not look or feel like real wood veneer

If it really does turn out to be a real wood finish, then kudos to ATC for making it seem so like a plastic or phenolic resin laminate
emotion-1.gif

Evlampi

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
if you want to be punctual - be my guest

"I requested a pair of ATC's SCM 11 passive monitors because its price of $1750/pair in real cherry veneer " - from a Stereophile review

it is quite simple in fact - google search works !

Craig did it :) chebby - busted :)

A

Anonymous

Chebby

How did the Naim kit sound with your previous speakers (Rega r3 if i remember correctly)? Worth a demo? I guess they're not as good as the n-sats or you wouldn't have changed them.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Evlampi:if you want to be punctual - be my guest

"I requested a pair of ATC's SCM 11 passive monitors because its price of $1750/pair in real cherry veneer " - from a Stereophile review

here is the whole link

http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/atc_scm_11_loudspeaker/

You have the advantage over me in linking to a competing hifi website. (WHF rules don't allow this.)

Otherwise I would post another link to a well-known UK hifi magazine review that tells us...

"In appearance, the SCM11 is smart rather than beautiful, with wood veneer-effect finish"

Google the words... ATC SCM11 review ....and the one I just quoted from is third on the list (assuming you use google uk)

Evlampi:it is quite simple in fact - google search works!

Yes indeed. As shown it can find two reviews that make differing claims about the finish.

This is why I intend to find out from ATC themselves.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Gears of Law:Chebby

How did the Naim kit sound with your previous speakers (Rega r3 if i remember correctly)? Worth a demo? I guess they're not as good as the n-sats or you wouldn't have changed them.

The R3's sounded pretty good until I got the N-Sats.

The N-Sats have a little less bass, but better, more authentic (and musical) bass than the R3's.

Frankly - despite all the time I enjoyed them - the R3's sounded muffled when I actually compared them. The mid-range on the N-Sats is crystal clear and voices sound excellent. (I listen to a lot of spoken word and drama on radio so this is very important to me.)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Craig M.:the scm7's use real wood veneer link. i'd be quite suprised if they're the only ones that do.

Then I take my hat off to them for making the SCM11 finish feel (and look) so artificial.

I also came across another review of the SCM19's (linked to on ATC's own website in the review section) that stated the cabinets are made in the far east to keep down costs. That was a shocker! I assumed ATC were the quintessential British manufacturer.

I am learning a lot about them as a result of this little debate.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
you're spot on about the feel of the veneer, esp considering the price, but i think they would cost a lot more then they do if they were to go for something british built and more luxurious. the piano gloss black finish, which is done to a very high standard in this country, almost doubles the price of the speaker! i like the fact they spent the budget on the drive units, although it doesn't stop me wishing they looked and felt nicer.

Dazmb

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano:Make that 2 coveted. I've heard it on 2 occasions and would buy one without hesitation if I had the money. But I don't.

May not be of any help - but I did spot this afternoon a Uniti on the 'bay. It's a hi-fi business seller and they are stating it's an unwanted xmas gift with 4 hrs use on it: £1750 buy now or best offer....

matthewpiano

Dazmb:matthewpiano:Make that 2 coveted. I've heard it on 2 occasions and would buy one without hesitation if I had the money. But I don't.

May not be of any help - but I did spot this afternoon a Uniti on the 'bay. It's a hi-fi business seller and they are stating it's an unwanted xmas gift with 4 hrs use on it: £1750 buy now or best offer....

Thanks for the heads up, but I literally don't have anything like the money at present.

The problem with the Uniti, or any one-box solution, is that you need to find a huge wad of cash in one go. When I eventually do make any further upgrades it will have to be one component at a time on a very gradual basis. I will also have to be absolutely convinced that I'm making definite improvements. My current system really does sound incredible and I think it will take huge resources to improve on it sufficiently to justify further expenditure.

A

Anonymous

I see that I missed the "up" from my earlier post. I didn't pick it (I'd done that before) I picked it up!!!

I have now been lving with my NaimUniti for a whole day (I had a day of travel to get it back to my apartment in the Netherlands) hence no further posts to this forum..

It's fantastic, although I must be careful to be objective, since it is my new toy! I'll write in with some initial thoughts in a couple of days when my enthusiasm has got back to normal levels.

The pairing with the Neat Momentum 3s is perfect for my small listening room - I have spent the first day listening to CDs and tonight after work I am going to start getting it to work with internet radio and streaming from my Mac (hopefully - although I have heard that this can be a bit of a faff).

I'm feeling just a little bit smug:)

David

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts