Advice needed on new speakers for compact vinyl/streaming setup

Edmeister

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Hello there people,

I've been around the whathifi forums for a while, just lurking but I thought it was time to register Smile Last year I have been building an hifi setup for my new house, and I am looking for speakers. Which I can use some help with.

As of now my setup consists of:

Source:

- Linn LP12 with Valhalla/Akito/Adikt

- Sonos Connect paired with Arcam Sonlink DAC

- Play 1's in kitchen/bedroom

Amp:

- Rega Brio R (can't praise it enough, phono stage is excellent too!)

Speakers:

- Dali 505's

Cables:

- V/d Hul

I carefully chose all components together for a vinyl/streaming setup that suits my tastes but I feel I could do better in the speaker department. The Dali 505's are (IMHO) very good value for money but they are pretty old and speaker technology hasn't stood still either. So ofcourse I have done some investigation through the reviews and forums, also listened to some speakers in shops.

I'm leaning towards standmounts but small floorstanders are an option as well. (will need a high WAF) I listen to everything, from 80's hairmetal on vinyl to david guetta and on sunday morning it's time for classical pieces.

My budget is around €750 or 600 pounds, options I came up with so far:

- Kef R100: haven't heard them, reviews are favorable.

- Totem Mite/Dynaudio X12: sounded/looked good to me but to me they seemed a little polite in their presentation. (and pricey)

- B&W 685: the 2014 ones that just came out, no idea how these will work with the Brio R

- Q acoustics concept 20's: can't audition them nearby, don't like the dedicated stands. Seems like good value for money though.

- Kef IQ5SE: can get a pair used for €500. Can't find them in stores anymore but they received good reviews.

- Sticking to Dali: mentor menuets?

Do you fine people have any thoughts on these options or other alternatives for me to consider?

matthewpiano

Don't dismiss the Dali Zensor 3. Very capable and should work well with the Brio-R.

Regarding Dynaudios, I suppose they could seem on the polite side initially but where they really excel is in being immersive and entertaining over longer listening sessions without causing fatigue. The more affordable DM2/6 and DM2/7 models still have plenty of punch as well. My experience has been that some speakers can be really tiring after a couple of hours listening - including the B&W 685s (original ones) and the KEF Q300s. Different horses for different courses, but do consider how you might get on with a speaker during longer sessions, if you are prone to lengthy ones!

Edmeister

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your insights Matthew,

When I listen to music it's either casual through sonos (during cooking and such) or more intense (vinyl) which are lengthy sessions.

I looked over the Dali Zensor 3, thought it would be more aimed at AV purposes. I will give it a listen, well within budget so that's a good thing.

Only listened to the Dynaudio's for about half an hour, I have yet to hear the DM series.

I didn't like the Kef Q300's too much. The new B&W 685's sure look good though!

Edmeister

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Heard the concept '20's today, not in a store, at someone's house. They impressed me, especially for their price. Where hooked up to a micro set and still sounded way beyond my expectations. Tempting, best I've heard for that price so far.

It left me wondering, is the brio r a good match with concept 20's or does the amp deserve better? Reading about let's say the Kef LS50 I see that it does perform better with a more powerfull/higher spec amp, so I think the truth might be somewhere in between for me. Then I'm back to the Kef R100 or maybe B&W 685.

I will wait for the first reviews of the B&W to come in, I see What hifi has one in their next issue.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts