NaimUniti - plus bookshelf speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My first post on this forum by the way.

I'm moving to a new house soon - a great chance to start afresh. I really covet a NaimUniti (have to join the queue here I gather). Would also love a pair of decent floorstanders although she who must be obeyed would probably prefer shelf standers. I think this means I'm looking for a decently match-able set of shelf standers (Totem mite? EB Acoustics?).

Genres: literally Bach to Beatles.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Hi Ozman

Really depends on budget. I would look at PMC DB1i (around £850 + stands) as a starting point. They are fabulous little standmounted speakers that pack a huge punch for size.

Floorstanders, again PMC GB1i. they are amongst my favourite sub-£2000 speaker. Otherwise, spend less £800 for Monitor Audio's RX6. Although not heard these, apparently sound excellent with Naim.

Good luck.

John Duncan

Didn't manage to hear mine on the end of a Uniti (I only heard it on the end of the office ATCs, IIRC), but AVI Neutrons would work well I think, as would PMC DB1i and Neat (Naim's preferred squeeze). Dunno about the EB1s cos I haven't heard those either, but they're obviously well thought of (though there'll be a queue for them as well).

Look also at some of the tiny monitors from Usher, Vienna, Sonus Faber, Dynaudio...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your ideas guys, much helpful info here.

No doubt each speaker manufacturer will have their own recommendations about positioning/orientation, and also spacing from wall (clearly an issue with rear-ported speakers).

I read about demand far exceeding supply with EB1s and ordering online-only, you obviously don't get the chance to pre-audition these - but they are sale-or-return after all. Their web site looks a bit minimalist at the moment.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
my own standmount demo can be found here

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/123274.aspx

recommended as stand out performance came from Neat Motive 3 and PMC DB1i

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
FWIW, I was loitering on the Naim forum t'other day & noticed that some of the Uniti-types were very enthusiastic about pairing their new 'music centres' with Guru QM10s:

http://guruproaudio.com/category/the-qm10/

(Sorry, as a victim of this parish's 'Safari-theid' I'm not able to produce jaunty & concise clicky links or include appropriately witty smilies.)

A

Anonymous

I tried the Uniti at home for a weekend with my much-loved Revolver RW16s, then some Naim n-sats. Surprisingly, I didn't care for the sound with the Revolvers, but unsurprisingly the Uniti worked superbly with the n-sats! There are quite a few ex-dem ones around I believe. Uniti's a great product - I'd get one if I could justify it.

Of the speakers mentioned, I tried AVI Neutrons (mk IV) a while ago and they were not a pleasant listen to my ears - maybe too explicit.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
ChrisMM:I tried the Uniti at home for a weekend with my much-loved Revolver RW16s, then some Naim n-sats. Surprisingly, I didn't care for the sound with the Revolvers, but unsurprisingly the Uniti worked superbly with the n-sats!

N-Sats seconded here.

(Ok I have not tried them with a naimuniti but they sound great with my gear.)

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Well I went into town today to demo some amp/cd options (Cyrus/Naim/Arcam/Roksan) and blow me but didn't I walk out of the shop having put down my 10% deposit on a Uniti! The wife got one hell of a shock when she picked me up.

Took along my Quad 12L2's to have a long listening session and was just blown away with the Uniti. Hooked them up with the instore Chord Odyssey 2 cables and just loved every minute. The Uniti certainly had that wow factor for me, Demand is outstripping supply I believe so will have to wait a couple of weeks or so.

Not sure how I'm going to pay for it mind.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
DIB:Took along my Quad 12L2's

Ok so you had some good bookshelf speakers already.

Glad you liked the naimuniti. I have heard it a few times and was impressed.

I would actually quite like one (for the smallness and neatness) but I would take a loss selling my seperates to get it.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby:
DIB:Took along my Quad 12L2's

Ok so you had some good bookshelf speakers already.

Glad you liked the naimuniti. I have heard it a few times and was impressed.

I would actually quite like one (for the smallness and neatness) but I would take a loss selling my seperates to get it.

The compact nature is what drew me to it initially, and I also listen to quite a lot of internet radio via my PC. Paradise Radio is only streamed at 128KPS but sounded fantastic, The store router was upstairs and the demo room was in the basement but reception was perfect nonetheless.

Luckily apart from my Beresford DAC, all my kit is 2nd hand gear, and looking at what they are fetching on Ebay at the moment I shouldn't take too much of a hit. The last two Beresford TC7510's I followed on Ebay went for £107 and £94 respectively which isn't too bad.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Oops, just realised - after reading your reply just now - that you weren't the OP (who needed bookshelf speakers).

Sorry.

I was briefly tempted by the Quad 12L2's (in piano gloss birds eye maple) but never got around to listening to them. Our local dealer had some and I was bowled over by the finish.

Luckily my N-Sats have an excellent grain pattern (also maple) but are not as 'shiny' as those Quads alas.

I am quite shallow about these sort of details and love real wood finishes (even though they are veneer).

I have seen vinyl 'wood effect' finish (a friends ATCs for instance) and it is dismal stuff. I would have to listen with my eyes closed. Great sound but feels like Formica.

A

Anonymous

At the prices we have to pay for this kit, one shouldn't have to put up with poor finish quality. The new Neat Petite SX speakers are quite appealing until you look at the price for piano lacquer.

I'm yet to hear a Uniti but it's similar to the Nait so must be good. I can see the appeal of a box like this, especially with sensitive speakers like Proac. Hope you enjoy every second of it!

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
I have seen vinyl 'wood effect' finish (a friends ATCs for instance) and it is dismal stuff. I would have to listen with my eyes closed. Great sound but feels like Formica.

are you sure it's vinyl, chebby? mine aren't.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Yes. Certain. On the SCM11s it is a wood effect veneer.

The 'grain' pattern is totally (photographically even) identical on both speakers down to the most minute detail. (Look at the tops of the speakers.) Look at even the most perfect 'book-matched' real wood veneers and there will still be minute differences.

It feels like a cold, hard formica type finish too.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I won't argue. I will phone them on Monday morning and ask.

Despite what the ads say, ATC themselves (on their website) mention neither of the words 'real' or 'wood' in their description of the SCM11's finish.

Also another UK magazine's online review (that I am not allowed to post here obviously) states...

"In appearance, the SCM11 is smart rather than beautiful, with wood
veneer-effect finish"

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
that's quite interesting, there'll have to be a few amended ad's if you're right...

i won't disagree about the feel of the finish though, hardly luxurious.

A

Anonymous

Just picked my Naim Uniti today!! Fabulous.

I went for the Neat Momentum 3s. I had listened to the PMC stand-mounts and just could get on with them - just personal taste I guess as so many people seem to rate them highly.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano:Make that 2 coveted. I've heard it on 2 occasions and would buy one without hesitation if I had the money. But I don't.

Neither do I
emotion-2.gif
(... but I've got 12 months before I have to pay for it)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts