Naim uniti2 and q acoustics 3050

Idatoil

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi

1. Has anyone tried the naim uniti 2 with the Q acoustics 3050?

2. Is the uniti 2 the best way of listening to tidal premium ? My budget is around £3000 (excluding speakers -I'm keen to keep my 3050). There seem to be a lot of products out or coming out which state "native tidal support".

thanks

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I know the unity2 a little bit because he was often discussed about on an other forum I'm on. It's a nice little all in one system, but it's not suited if you are listening in great rooms/high volumes/or on critical speakers. Because of bad heating diffraction he has a tendency to shut off in protection mode in those conditions.

The uniti 2 is plenty powerful,70 naim watts a side will drive all but the most demanding speakers to decent levels and as the amplification is based on the supernait2,need I say more.Also naim are at the forefront of the streaming side of the market and have excellent compatability with both tidal and Spotify.I for one would love to get my hands on one to cut down my box count.The only thing you can do to is go to a dealers and speak very nicely to him and try and arrange a home demo with your Q acoustics,although imho they aren't quite enough to do justice to the uniti 2,but you'll be getting the very best out of them with that kind of source.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
695260193304565575.jpg

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Ok. I understand. He underlined very clearly the incredible qualities of the Naim gear, using all the best of Naim components and with sturdy 70w Naim watts (not normal watts... naim watts... it's diffrent) directly inspired by the great Supernait 2. God bless Naim !

Idatoil, you must go to your Naim dealer now ! NOW !!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
Ok. I understand. He underlined very clearly the incredible qualities of the Naim gear, using all the best of Naim components and with sturdy 70w Naim watts (not normal watts... naim watts... it's diffrent) directly inspired by the great Supernait 2. God bless Naim !

Idatoil, you must go to your Naim dealer now ! NOW !!

Well, that little burst of toxicity followed smartly after your accusation - in another thread - that Tom Evans deliberately designs his kit to burst into flames and endanger it's user's lives!

Anything else you need to vent your spleen about this morning? Are Sugden heatsinks secretly made from depleted uranium?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Naim watts are superior to most,due to the excellent power supply and current they can deliver to a speaker.fact!

Now I want to see a showdown between Naim watts and Luxman watts.

Maybe make it a battle royale and throw in some class a watts.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
ID. said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Naim watts are superior to most,due to the excellent power supply and current they can deliver to a speaker.fact!

Now I want to see a showdown between Naim watts and Luxman watts.

Maybe make it a battle royale and throw in some class a watts.

And Behringer Watts, you must never forget Behringer. They are the most 'righteous' Watts.

Mark Rose-Smith said:

Unfortunately a watt is just a watt. You are correct in that some amps seem to be able to control speakers better than others, but it's got nothing to do with watts. ;-)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I know the unity2 a little bit because he was often discussed about on an other forum I'm on. It's a nice little all in one system, but it's not suited if you are listening in great rooms/high volumes/or on critical speakers. Because of bad heating diffraction he has a tendency to shut off in protection mode in those conditions.

Ok. Let's have sources for that claim.

(And proper sources in that other thread for the more serious allegation of Tom Evans kit bursting into flames by design.)

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I never wrote "that Tom Evans deliberately designs his kit to burst into flames and endanger it's user's lives!"

I wrote that my kit was bad designed and bursted into flames, endangering my life. There are subtilities Mr. Naim spokesman. *biggrin*

(Yes, I although want to see the showdown between Naim/Luxman/Behringer watts. It must be mindblowing.)*good*

chebby said:

(And proper sources in that other thread for the more serious allegation of Tom Evans kit bursting into flames by design.)

Yes..... another icon change chebby? Nice one.

He says Sat next to his nicely burning Linear A. :)

I never wrote "that Tom Evans deliberately designs his kit to burst into flames and endanger it's user's lives!"

I wrote that my kit was bad designed and bursted into flames, endangering my life. There are subtilities Mr. Naim spokesman. *biggrin*

(Yes, I although want to see the showdown between Naim/Luxman/Behringer watts. It must be mindblowing.)*good*

Good job you didn't as that would be considered libellous.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:

1) Naim

62314naim3.jpg

(Power transistors are mounted without the metallic radiator. At least 3cm of thickness are generally needed for accurate heat dissipation (5 cm better) : source - electronic classes and DIY forums.

2) http://www.hifi-forum.de/ (I let you search because I'm not there to loose my time with some hidden seller or fanboy having some rage moment).

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Though the Naim Uniti 2 is Class B in its biasing (makes it more efficient and runs cooler), the lack of a proper heatsink and just 4 output trannies makes it not ideal for going very loud with 4 ohm loads. It will heat up and shut down to protect itself, as it should. If matched with easy going speakers (no dips under 4 ohms, no big phase shifts) it will do great, as it has a decent power supply from what I can see.

Class B has a maximum junction temperature of the transistors can go as high as 140C, with 60C ambient temp. That is pretty hot and would lead to a thermal protection kicking in. I'm to lazy to check the correct specs for the Sanken trannies in the Uniti 2, but this is just a hypothetical example anyway. Someone more knowledgable on this please correct me if this is daft.

Emm,definitely not a fanboy or in a rage,I own many different makes of audio and video equipment with no bias towards any company,apart from Sony (I ❤️Sony).It's just the op was asking about naim equipment and I gave my 2cnts worth,naim are a decent audio equipment manufacturer after all.my apologies if I came across as a sales representative for naim and caused you offense,it's only a hifi forum and no need to get your knickers in a twist about people actually liking what they buy and having an optimistic outlook towards hifi.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Ok. Thank you for putting this in. I apologize too, I was a bit hard on you.

Thank you Vladimir for posting in. As always, lots of your posts are helpful.

Wish you a nice time everyone.

jjbomber

Vladimir said:
Though the Naim Uniti 2 is Class B in its biasing (makes it more efficient and runs cooler), the lack of a proper heatsink and just 4 output trannies makes it not ideal for going very loud with 4 ohm loads. It will heat up and shut down to protect itself, as it should. If matched with easy going speakers (no dips under 4 ohms, no big phase shifts) it will do great, as it has a decent power supply from what I can see.

The q Acoustics 3050 are 6 Ohm and has a sensitivity rating of 92. I think that qualifies as easy going. The Uniti 2 will eat them alive!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Vladimir said:

The q Acoustics 3050 are 6 Ohm and has a sensitivity rating of 92. I think that qualifies as easy going. The Uniti 2 will eat them alive!

A designer trick is to use 4 ohm woofers that suck 2W instead of 1W in order to boost efficiency by 3dB. But even at 89dB they are easy going and the PSU of the Uniti 2 should handle transient peaks no problem. I'm guessing here since we don't have full data like JA would display in a Stereophile review, but I wouldn't worry about it.

rainsoothe

Idatoil said:
Hi

1. Has anyone tried the naim uniti 2 with the Q acoustics 3050?

2. Is the uniti 2 the best way of listening to tidal premium ? My budget is around £3000 (excluding speakers -I'm keen to keep my 3050). There seem to be a lot of products out or coming out which state "native tidal support".

thanks

Imo, the Q Acoustics 3050 can sound very harsh, and Unity 2 has a little bit of bite if poorly matched and in a room that has high frequency resonance. My mom has one and indeed with Focal Electra 1008 the highs were tiring. I experienced the same annoyance with Marantz SR5010 and Q Acoustics 3050. If your room is not very large (mine is 16 sq m), you can easily get away with Naim Unitiqute 2 + Nap100 and DNM Reson speaker cable, which has a slight high frequency rol-off. Also, the UQ2 has a softer sound (but don't mistake it for dull, it's not, it's still Naim) then the Uniti2. Also, this way you could get rid of your Q Acoustics, and budget for Wharfedale Jade 3, Focal Aria 906 (bi-amp the Wharfedales).

Alternatively, look at Naim Superuniti or Nac N-172 + Nap155XS, which are in a different league then the Uniti2.

TRENDING THREADS