Naim nait5i upgrade - anything else to try?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I heard a nait5i (italic i that is) at the weekend. It sounded very nice...so nice in fact I really wanted to try on my system at home for comparison. Well I have borrowed one from my local dealer and its incredible. Linked to the Rega apollo and r5 speakers its so open and detailed. The Mira3 I currently have sounds so focused its boxy (as its reputation states). The Nait has created a soundstage like nothing I have heard at this level. The Mira3 still has a reasonable trade in value so im almost certain I will change to the nait. My question is whether I should try anything else at this level before taking the plunge on the nait? The r5s have a whole new sound on the nait and the appollo is probably the best choice at this price level so am inclined to stay with them (although may have to try the nait5i cd for fun). The system still has a slightly bright edge on some tracks which im hoping to illiminate with the Chord Chorus (using Nordost Baldur at the moment). Any thoughts?

John Duncan

[quote user="Melovehifi"]I heard a nait5i (italic i that is) at the weekend. It sounded very nice...so nice in fact I really wanted to try on my system at home for comparison. Well I have borrowed one from my local dealer and its incredible. Linked to the Rega apollo and r5 speakers its so open and detailed. The Mira3 I currently have sounds so focused its boxy (as its reputation states). The Nait has created a soundstage like nothing I have heard at this level. The Mira3 still has a reasonable trade in value so im almost certain I will change to the nait. My question is whether I should try anything else at this level before taking the plunge on the nait? The r5s have a whole new sound on the nait and the appollo is probably the best choice at this price level so am inclined to stay with them (although may have to try the nait5i cd for fun). The system still has a slightly bright edge on some tracks which im hoping to illiminate with the Chord Chorus (using Nordost Baldur at the moment). Any thoughts?[/quote]

I really like the look of the new Nait, might have to borrow one for a weekend to try it out, though I never expected to own a Naim and really want to find a s/h Primare. I think this price bracket is a bit weird actually, there aren't that many contenders - plenty at 600 quid and plenty at a grand, but not much in between. You could try to track down a Creek Classic, which I own and think is fabulous (very natural and great imaging though you may want some extra 'whooomph' if you like it loud), or the Primare i21 (a work of art aesthetically that I haven't heard, but I understand is 'sophisticated' - ie again smooth and laid back but maybe lacking in slam).

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]I really like the look of the new Nait[/quote]

I thought it look the same as the last one
emotion-8.gif

John Duncan

[quote user="Thaiman"]
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]I really like the look of the new Nait[/quote]

I thought it look the same as the last one
emotion-8.gif

[/quote]

Pedant. OK, I think it actually looks rubbish, but anticipate that it might sound rather good
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

This thing is stunning. It has just smashed the Mira3 in to the ground. Odd combo of Apollo and R5s but it works a treat. Def worth a listen.

A

Anonymous

By the way John given you have tried the rega amp and many others what are your thoughts on the sound compared to others in the range...just for interest.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Melovehifi"]This thing is stunning. It has just smashed the Mira3 in to the ground[/quote]

Damm hooligan!

I hope you told that little green box off! talk about Naim can cause some riot!

A

Anonymous

never realised how dangerous hifi could be. might have to go comment on the "kids" feed.... Andrew what speakers did you use?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Melovehifi"]The system still has a slightly bright edge on some tracks which im hoping to illiminate with the Chord Chorus (using Nordost Baldur at the moment). Any thoughts?[/quote]

I think Naim own speakers cable would be the best. I haven't hear the new 5i but I got the superNait and it's thrilling to listening too
emotion-21.gif

John Duncan

[quote user="Melovehifi"]By the way John given you have tried the rega amp and many others what are your thoughts on the sound compared to others in the range...just for interest.[/quote]

I think the Rega was great in a particular context (rock), where it and the accompanying Planet gave me a huge grin, but when it had some more delicate, acoustic music (my dealer insists I try everything with a 16th Century Lute Music disc), it had a fatness, a kind of bloom to it that I didn't like - the original Nait 5 I heard was a bit like that too, though that was a long time ago. The Creek and Primare are much more 'hi-fi' to my mind, a trait which you may or may not like (I personally do).

It does sound like the new Nait might be all things to all men though - AND it fits on my shelves
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

thats true, didnt get the interconnect but think you get one in the box, worth a try before spending more wedge, especially if its included. I really want to know how the naim cd5i compares to the apollo, again if trade in is ok for an extra £150 might be worth a jump.

A

Anonymous

dont have any rega r5s to try on it do you? I will demo the cd5i next week once the amp has run in but im impetient and want to know what its like. In other words whether I have bought completely the wrong system and have to change it all or whether the apollo and/or r5s work well with the nait5i which is the impression I have at the moment...just a little too bright...hmmm

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Melovehifi"]dont have any rega r5s to try on it do you?[/quote]

No, I think my wife would get upset if I had a pair of every speaker available at home for reference purposes, much though I'd like to help...

emotion-1.gif

John Duncan

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="Melovehifi"]dont have any rega r5s to try on it do you?[/quote]

No, I think my wife would get upset if I had a pair of every speaker available at home for reference purposes, much though I'd like to help...

emotion-1.gif

[/quote]

You need A Hifi Drawer, Andrew.

A

Anonymous

well thats no help ;o) Thought you guys lived in a big warehouse full of kit and listening rooms and played hifi all day...my dream is shattered!

John Duncan

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="Melovehifi"]Andrew what speakers did you use?[/quote]

PMCs, of course! Oh and had a try with the Tannoy DC4s, too. Which was nice...
[/quote]

Any insight into those Tannoys?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The PMC Dinky Boxes with the i on the end would be my choice - more bass extension and rather better imaging - but the Tannoys are smaller and will be cuter to some eyes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts