Naim Nait 5si with Kef LS50 good match?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
ChrisIRL said:
I understood what you were saying. Even a ported design must have some limits to the amount of cone excursion it's comfortable with. If examined closely the LS50 driver design does not allow for a lot of movement, the cone is small and stiff, the rubber surround flat and very narrow. The suggestions that the 5si didn't have the power to drive the 50s is nonsense. I drove them happily with lowered powered amps, Rega brio r, Arcam a19 and heard no distortion even pushed hard and did not see the extreme cone movement as with the 5si. Whatever the reason it was not lack of power. I've driven equally difficult speakers with the 5si without any problems at all.

Aye ok, the guy who worked at KEF didn't know what he was talking about.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
TrevC said:
The LS50 isn't really capable of serious deep bass, is it? It's only a little thing.

Anyone who heard mine powered by the Hegel went looking for the subwoofer. All I have to say is the bass amount is incredible for their size and for stand mounts a fair bit larger. It's a bit like looking inside the Tardis and thinking a room that big shouldn't fit in that box. When you play a good bassy track you think this amount of bass shouldn't come from that box. They obviously have their limits and you wont get party levels of volume out of them, but keep them around the mid range of their capabilities and it's surreal how deep they sound. Clearly the port is playing a significant role in this depth but they've integrated it very well so you just get the impression of deep, musical bass. It's a bit of a triumph of design given it's size.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
TrevC said:
The LS50 isn't really capable of serious deep bass, is it? It's only a little thing.

No, seriously powerful bass for cabinet size, as I found out when the Leema put them through their paces.

never tried LS50 until recently when I was checking Dynaudio Xeo 2.. Xeo 2 are smaller than LS50 and for the diminutive cabinet size bass coming from these is phenomenal and of a better quality then Kef's..

lpv said:
plastic penguin said:
TrevC said:

No, seriously powerful bass for cabinet size, as I found out when the Leema put them through their paces.

never tried LS50 until recently when I was checking Dynaudio Xeo 2.. Xeo 2 are smaller than LS50 and for the diminutive cabinet size bass coming from these is phenomenal and of a better quality then Kef's..
Interesting, but not really a true comparison as the Xeo is amplified and claims some DSP which doubtless tries to compensate for the small volume cabinet. And I believe KEF make an x300 which would be a better comparison - none of which is relevant to the OP!

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
lpv said:
plastic penguin said:
TrevC said:

Interesting, but not really a true comparison as the Xeo is amplified and claims some DSP which doubtless tries to compensate for the small volume cabinet. And I believe KEF make an x300 which would be a better comparison - none of which is relevant to the OP!

I know is not relevant to the OP, just wanted to share my observation.. every time I read about LS50 I read about amazing - for the cabinet size - bass output so when the opportunity arose I thought, let's see... this comparision showed me that more can be done with even smaller box and some clever electronics inside..

lpv said:
nopiano said:
lpv said:
plastic penguin said:
TrevC said:

I know is not relevant to the OP, just wanted to share my observation.. every time I read about LS50 I read about amazing - for the cabinet size - bass output so when the opportunity arose I thought, let's see... this comparision showed me that more can be done with even smaller box and some clever electronics inside..

Hence my comments about the Kefs having powwerful bass for the size as opposed to deep bass. Compared to PMC TB2 there was only a slight shortfall but feel the Kefs are ideal for smaller rooms.

More important for the OP is whether the Naim and LS50s are a good match or not. Only he can decide.

criant

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
4pt56h.jpg

2r7lt1j.jpg

kef LS50 arrive Monday .that say about the b & w 685 s2 are a different story.the kef are more precise and clear but never exceeded .the woofer moves and also to almost high volume does not distort.It is logical that not much lower down but is felt.I like the tight bass without rumble.they played about 5 hours but so I think still do not go to the maximum.I tried all kinds of music including the tommy emmanuel guitar, one word FANTASTIC never heard my system sound so.My previous speakers were B & W CM1 Focal 806 Klipsch RB81 and B & W 685s2Amplifiers tested at my house Nad 352 Rotel RA 1520 Denon PMA 1500AE Audiolab 8200A

criant said:
kef LS50 arrive Monday .that say about the b & w 685 s2 are a different story. the kef are more precise and clear but never exceeded .the woofer moves and also to almost high volume does not distort. It is logical that not much lower down but is felt. I like the tight bass without rumble. they played about 5 hours but so I think still do not go to the maximum. I tried all kinds of music including the tommy emmanuel guitar, one word FANTASTIC never heard my system sound so. My previous speakers were B & W CM1 Focal 806 Klipsch RB81 and B & W 685s2 Amplifiers tested at my house Nad 352 Rotel RA 1520 Denon PMA 1500AE Audiolab 8200A
. Is the REL subwoofer yours, or what you suggest? Looks cool in white.

criant

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
rel t5 is mine is located in the right part of the room

I use it for home theater with Anthem Mrx 500 and Panasonic BDT 500

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts