Hi guy's, I recently upgraded my cd player from Arcam cd82 to Naim cd 5i mk2,(italic) at moment I'm using it with arcam a85 /p85 biamped and onto a pair of b&w cm5's on fs700 stands, Now I knew it would happen, just didn't think I'd want a new amp so soon, so I'm not sure whether to go for a second hand xs or new 5i mk2 or 5si, and would these amps be an upgrade to my current biamped Arcam setup, also does anybody know if said amps get on well with the cm5's . thanks

No, I haven't auditioned any as yet, but I've read nothing but favourable reviews, I don't really like going out and auditioning the products, I feel a bit awkward unfortunately, I do know i don't favour an overly bright sounding system which I believe cyrus are known for hence the reason for trying Naim electronics which imo was the next logical step up, don't get me wrong there's nothing drastically wrong with the arcams I'm just always trying to improve my system when funds allow,

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Naim is not to everyone's taste, so is imo, to big a risk to buy without hearing.

There are lots of brilliant amps out there that get overlooked because Naim has the name (so to speak).

Other brands to consider might be Pathos, Creek, Croft, Rega, Sugden and Electrocompaniet.

Yes, I do know of pathos, creek, rega, etc, I'm not new to hi-fi. but as I'm not able to get a hold of these products in my home town, let alone an audition at home, I don't have much choice but to use people's opinions, reviews and experience with the products, Naim always comes up in forums( I'm a good way). Good upgrade paths and backup are also a reason that attract me to Naim, rega also have some fine reviews lately. But hey I just got a cd5i mk2, so what would be the nxt logical step.?

Whilst it might seem the next logical step I too would urge caution. Naim amps have quite a distinctive sound that you'll either love or hate. If you buy without audition then do so if you can afford to take a bit of a loss (as if you don't like it you can always sell it on). Just because you own a Naim CD player doesn't mean you need Naim amplification. The previously mentioned Croft and Creek have a more 'neutral' sound and these may suit your tastes / speakers better in the long run.

rainsoothe

I used to own the first edition CM5, and their presentation is rather smooth. They benefit from amps that are precise, have controlled and just a bit sharp - that's why they pair well with Rotels. Imo (not that it's bright or anything) you couldn't go wrong with Naim Nait 5si or, if you can find one, a Nait XS2 - they make great partners for B&W (some hate the pairing, but I think it's great). The first XS is known to be rather smooth (I haven't heard it) and pairing it with the already smooth CM5 might make things wrong - I would avoid it. But, the Nait 5si should be enough, it's the natural partner for the CD player and speakers you have (price-wise). IF you want upgradability though, go Nait XS2, since you can later add a Hi-Cap (TeddyPardo or whatever), or get better speakers and stuff like that.

But the others are right. You should try demo Naims. I, for one, love them. But neutral they are not, they just make stuff sound good (to me).

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I used to own a SuperNait, for a while I loved it but it began to annoy me. From my experience Naims try to make music sound more exciting by over-emphasising certain aspects of the sound. Neutral they are not.

On some recordings it works, the music really bounces along. On others, it grates, gave me earache and spoiled the music.

Beware of having an upgrade path too as you might get sucked into thinking you *have* to upgrade. Like I did.

Thanks for your response guy's, it's much appreciated, even though I've ignored most of it, but I do have a yearning to check out the Naim sound and I've managed to find a nait xs at a good price, so it might be too smooth but I can always change speakers later if it's lost it's get up n go , but got the option of adding flat cap etc in future, just hope it out performs the biamped Arcam's,

The arcam's do sound nice, but I've had them twelve years and just wanted to shake it up a bit. I hadn't been listening to much music lately(which isn't like me) and felt I needed to be a bit pro active with the hi-fi to get me back into listening again, so in the last month or so I've got the arcam ir dac(which was intended as an upgrade to the arcam cd82,but didn't quite cut it) but excellent upgrade for my ipod so looked at other options and thought the Naim or cyrus route would be best went off cyrus, they just seem to be a bit unreliable, so have went to the Naim cd 5i mk2 and now the nait xs comming soon , but loving the cd5i so far.

Oh wow, the 5i mk2, nait xs with the b&w cm5's really rock, although at first I thought the amp was going to give me a beating, having to use the good old QED silver anniversary at first (as I didn't have an else at hand)boy it was very forward, brutal even, and thought I had made a big mistake of replacing my trusty arcams . But after reading around some forums, it seems naim amps are a bit fussy about cable so found some cheap(ish) linn k20 on a well known site. Which I read works well with the naim gear (same as nac a4)until I can afford some nac a5. And what a difference it has made. It has tamed the beast and now has that excellent rhythm and timing that I've read so much about. The amp only has around half the power of the combined arcam a85/p85 duo but you'd think it was the naim who was packing all those watts, I was also a bit worried that the one box couldn't match a mid price two box combo for digging out the lower bass and taming the higher trebles but the xs matches them and more, it just sounds so much more composed. Probably might not even bother with the nac a5 now at £150 for the length I need ,My holy grail (at the moment) has been found, now how much is one of those flatcaps? Lol.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
hybridauth_Facebook_100004211376004 said:
Oh wow, the 5i mk2, nait xs with the b&w cm5's really rock, although at first I thought the amp was going to give me a beating, having to use the good old QED silver anniversary at first (as I didn't have an else at hand)boy it was very forward, brutal even, and thought I had made a big mistake of replacing my trusty arcams . But after reading around some forums, it seems naim amps are a bit fussy about cable so found some cheap(ish) linn k20 on a well known site. Which I read works well with the naim gear (same as nac a4)until I can afford some nac a5. And what a difference it has made. It has tamed the beast and now has that excellent rhythm and timing that I've read so much about. The amp only has around half the power of the combined arcam a85/p85 duo but you'd think it was the naim who was packing all those watts, I was also a bit worried that the one box couldn't match a mid price two box combo for digging out the lower bass and taming the higher trebles but the xs matches them and more, it just sounds so much more composed. Probably might not even bother with the nac a5 now at £150 for the length I need ,My holy grail (at the moment) has been found, now how much is one of those flatcaps? Lol.

Yes, the XS is a fun amplifier and sounds more powerful watt by watt than many others. If you can get NacA5 get some. It's a good a good cable even outside a Naim system. I've used mine for a long time but would get some VDH CS122 Hybrid as a second option.

Cyrus are not unreliable, they had some issues at one time with CD player mechs which I believe has been sorted now unless there is something I don't know.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Naim amps are more fun than most, I found Arcams to be really boring. Each to their own, you have to go with what sounds right to you. Have fun with the XS!

empacher

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
wilro15 said:
I used to own a SuperNait, for a while I loved it but it began to annoy me. From my experience Naims try to make music sound more exciting by over-emphasising certain aspects of the sound. Neutral they are not.

On some recordings it works, the music really bounces along. On others, it grates, gave me earache and spoiled the music.

I picked up a Supernait and had the same observations when running it with Totem speakers. I switched them for the Harbeth P3ESRs. Very solid combo. No fatigue at all, yet still retains alot of detail. I'll be sticking with this for awhile.

The XS is one of the gems in the Naim line. I was going to buy it but got a great deal on the Supernait. Frankly i didn't notice a huge difference between but hardly based off an extensive audtion.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts