Naim NAC112 + NAP150 vs current Naim integrated amps (XS or 5i)?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys

How would a Naim NAC112 pre + Naim NAP150 power combo compare with the current Naim integrateds, specifically the XS or the Nait 5i?

I'm looking at buying a Naim XS but I've found the above combo used at a decent price, so tempted by it... I most likely wouldn't be able to afford a brand new Naim pre / power combo (but could stretch my budget to the XS integrated), hence the interest in the comparison above.

Thanks!

Roman

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Roman

A pre/power combo will normally be able to eek more out of a pair of speakers than an integrated amplifier will. Usually, removing the pre- section from the power amp anmoving it away from the huge mains transformer that the power section needs will usually bring many benefits to a good system. It's good in the Naim's case as there is no power supply in the pre-amp at all (it takes a small voltage from the power, enough to run), but a separate power supply can be added to run the pre-amp independently.

The only drawback with the 112/150 combo is that the 112 pre wasn't a great pre-amp - the 122x and 122xs that followed were much much better. If the 112/150 is much cheaper than the Nait X, I would go for the 112/150 combo, and when (if) you're ready to upgrade, change the pre to the 122xs. Unless you're happy with it of course, then the next step is to add the Flatcap.

A

Anonymous

great - thanks very much for your advice. in my case it looks like i can get the combo at half the price of the XS, so i am rather tempted by it - if it sounds good!

if i was to upgrade to the 122xs, would the nap 150 still be a good power amp to use or would an upgraded power amp also be necesary?

thanks, Roman

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
I have just got rid of my XS in favour of a 202/200 combo. Auditioned lots including the Supernait. What I did notice is the integrated route does not give the same separation and detail as the pre power route. Complicated music is also easier to follow on the pre/power. All the above was to my ears.

If you get pre and power you can always upgrade the pre and its power supplies first so gives you a much more flexible upgrade path.

The XS however is a cracking amp and I am not sure how it fairs against the 112/ 150 combo, all I know is the 202/200 outshone the Supernait so I would probably say you would be better going down the pre power route.

A

Anonymous

I think what I will do is pick up the 112/150 combo and then upgrade to the pre-amp to a 122x in the near future.

I'm encouraged by the fact that your sources are very similar to mine - I have a Rega Saturn and Rega P3-24 that, with any luck, will be running through a Naim amp setup soon =)

Out of interest, what are your experiences of combining Rega sources & Naim amps? I am yet to hear the two brands together but everything I've heard and read so far suggests that the two would make a cracking combination.

Rich27

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
roman_sub:

great - thanks very much for your advice. in my case it looks like i can get the combo at half the price of the XS, so i am rather tempted by it - if it sounds good!

if i was to upgrade to the 122xs, would the nap 150 still be a good power amp to use or would an upgraded power amp also be necesary?

thanks, Roman

A new XS is about £1,400 so are you saying that the 112/150 is about £700? The 112/150 are pretty old by now so these must be quite aged units, how old are they and are you buying from a dealer?

A

Anonymous

Should be able to pick them up for just over 600 quid including 3 high-quality Chord interconnects. Apparently they are 3 years old and had only one previous owner. Assuming before the sale they were held by a Naim dealer...

Sounds like a good deal to me unless I'm missing something?

Rich27

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
According to the Naim website, the 150 was replaced by 150X in 2004 and the 112 by the 122X in 2006. Ask for the serial numbers of the units and you can see exactly which year they were made on Naim's website.

If you are buying privately I would have thought you could pick up a 122X/150X for not much more money and as is mentioned above the 122X is a much better pre. Just a thought but if you are already questioning moving to a 122X/150X in the near future you may as well get it now, it will save you money in the short term!

I owned a 122X/150X combo in the past and it is a cracking amp.

A

Anonymous

Most 122x/150x seem to be selling for more than £1k, but i'll have a look if i can find any better! i guess i'll audition the 112/150 with my system first and then see.... thanks!!

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
The CDP sounds as close to vinyl as I have heard make sure you get a decent 2rca - > 5pin din connector. I am using a chord anthem.

Rega works very nicely with naim amplification lovely open sound.

A

Anonymous

Bought the 112 / 150 and have been smiling ever since! You're spot on, there's an amazing synergy that seems to be present between Rega & Naim. Using it with an up-market Chord rca to din now =)

Haven't heard the XS myself yet, but the 112/150 combo totally blew away the 5i - and cost me half the price of the XS, so couldn't be happier.

Next step: Stageline, then Flatcap. Then maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe an upgrade to 122x.

Naim amps got a new convert! Though I'll stay true to Rega sources (for now, anyway).

Thanks everyone!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Glad you're happy - enjoy!
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts