Naim DAC due in May

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Do Naim have a heart attack insurance policy I wonder? Could well be the reason. No sales = no heart attacks.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Clare Newsome:... for around £2k. Being previewed at Bristol Show (10th floor ticketed dems) - pictures and more info to follow shortly!

Sadly, this news doesn't make me very excited. 'Cause if it did, I'd be very rich.

And even if I had the money I'm not sure if I would have the mindset to spend it on that. It just doesn't seem value for money. I feel that at that price a greater gain in quality can be made by buying an 800-1000 pound dac and spending the rest on better speakers/amp.

A

Anonymous

Don't worry. They're sure to release a Nait DAC later rather than sooner.

A

Anonymous

chebby:Indeed.

My point was that Naim WILL make a £200 DAC. Just it will cost £499

I would say CAN make a £200/499retail like anyone, electronics are not expensive, that's not where the costs are, it just they won't. £499 products just isn't a market they are interested in, all IMO, so could well be wrong.

A

Anonymous

I think that my lovely Supernait with its own DAC seems like remarkable value now..........

sometimesuk

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
I managed to get an audition of a prototype of the new Naim DAC at the Bristol Hfii show, on the tenth floor, demonstrations by appointment.

The demonstration was showing the difference between HDX, Mac book, benefits of adding power supplier, and then the DAC itself.

Personally I was very impressed by the DAC. They used the digital out from the HDX to feed the DAC (The DAC was powered by the top of the range power supply)

Although the gentleman giving the demonstration (MD I think!) said before adding the DAC, it gives a different presentation to the sound, you may prefer it or not. A friend I took along with me agreed with that, saying it changed the presentation.

I personally thought the change was head and shoulders above the original sound. The addition of the DAC to my ears seemed to completely clear up the whole spectrum making it more musical as a result. This was particularly highlighted by making vocals and leading edges more clear and sharp but at the same time, making everything sound smoother and more together, more whole. Do you get the idea?

Just to highlight, I preferred the HDX, DAC, top of the range power supply V's HDX and top of the range power supply.

All good news I think, so when funds allow, it will be the Naim, Bryston and Chord Dac on the audition list.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts