Naim CDS3 v Cyrus CD6SE

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recall in a review of the CD6SE comparisons were drawn to the CDS3.

I cannot remember the exact wording but seem to think WHF concluded that the Cyrus was about as good as the Naim.

Was this an over-excited comment at the time, or in hindsight does it still ring true?

Did the 6SE replace the CDS3 in the WHF reference room?

I am not purchasing either player as I'm a streaming man, but just wanted to know, as am interested if digital really does move on that quickly, and the cheaper things today are as good as expensive things yesterday.

Thanks,

Edward

krolikgena

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Dear All,

Finally the review of the new Cyrus cd6se is out. Trust me there is nothing, absolutely nothing to outperform this cd player even at double the price.

Some of the excerpts -

"The Cyrus CD 6 SE is a revelation"

"Quite simply this player is astonishing. Not astonishing for the price, you understand, but astonishing: full stop."

"This player is comparable with the very best machines around, regardless of price. We should repeat that: regardless of price."

"The CD 6 SE is a landmark product that redefines the performance level at its price point."

"If we could award more than five stars, we would."

Cyrus CD 6 SE

The Cyrus CD 6 SE resets the sonic bar for sub-thousand pound players
For
Dynamics, timing and punch are as good as they get; slot-loader is far nicer to use than the old drawer; upgradeable
Against
Partner with care if you want the best performance

Rarely has a range had such a rocky start. Last year Cyrus announced replacements for its range of Award-winning CD players. Nothing odd in that, you might think; except the launch was postponed. A month, six months, and then a year went past without any sign of the new players.

Delivery dates for review samples were given and missed repeatedly. Then, finally, out of the blue, the CD 6 SE turns up.

Cyrus's entry-level player now costs £800: more than the last model and significantly more expensive than rivals such as Roksan's Kandy. The main change between this player and the last version is the transport. The DAC, power supply and audio circuits remain much the same as before.

The new transport uses a slot-loading mechanism – a more elegant solution than the drawer of before – and it is controlled by Cyrus's own software. That software governs everything from the loader to the laser sled and motors, and it's what the SE (Servo Evolution) in the product's name refers to. A bit of software code may not sound like much, but it is a big deal.

Cyrus claims 20 per cent fewer data errors from its new CD engine than from the Philips-based kit it used in its older machines. A vast improvement – and a figure we would have taken with a ton of salt had we not heard the CD 6 SE.

The Cyrus CD 6 SE is a revelation
Quite simply this player is astonishing. Not astonishing for the price, you understand, but astonishing: full stop. In its areas of strength – timing, dynamics and punch – this player is comparable with the very best machines around, regardless of price. We should repeat that: regardless of price.

Our reference Naim CDS3/555PS (circa £10,000) delivers more of the harmonic detail of acoustic instruments and has more authority and scale. The Cyrus counters with better organisation and improved agility, and delivers the leading edge of notes with greater precision.

Which you prefer comes down to taste. Consider the price difference and you'll see just how great Cyrus's achievement is.

If the CD 6 SE compares favourably to one of the best high-end machines around, you can imagine what it does to similarly priced opposition. The likes of Rega's Apollo are flattened – and we suspect the same would be true of most players below the £1000 mark.

We played everything from Stravinsky to Grinderman and this fabulous all-rounder never failed to impress. Normally we'd recommend a good sub-£1000 integrated amp with similarly priced speakers for a CD player at this price point. That would work just fine, and we have no doubt the CD 6 SE would deliver a great sound.

It more than justifies pricier partners
However, this player easily justifies more expenditure on the rest of the set-up. We partnered it with £15,000 worth of electronics and speakers and it wasn't the weakest link. Really.

Flaws? Sonically, no. But avoid bright or thin-sounding systems, or the vivid dynamics and energetic delivery could well be too much of a good thing. Choose kit that's refined, but still has transparency, dynamics and timing to burn and you won't go wrong. Also, the new slot-loader isn't the quickest thinker around. Be patient and everything will be fine.

The CD 6 SE is a landmark product that redefines the performance level at its price point. If we could award more than five stars, we would.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Cyrus had a lot of problems with the 6SE, see owners opinions on the review, some people were PO with WHF for awarding a player 5 stars that would not even play cds, even in WHF review it did mention there was a problem with some discs.

Cheap things today don't tend to last very long.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
jjbomber said:
It was a software glitch. Cyrus took a few sample CDs from a hi-fi shop who were experiencing the problem and updated the software. Interestingly naim now have the same problem.

No it was not, Cyrus had problems and blamed it on the Philips lazer, they now make the parts in house, the SE2 does not have that problem. You maybe referring to the SE8 which had a few software glitches.

Philips have ceased production now and many cd manufacturers seem to have problems now.

krolikgena

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
What's this all about? This was mentioned back in 2009ish. Don't understand the post.

Since which time, the Audiolab and now Naim CD 5si has usurped the Cyrus CD6SE MKII version.

so what if it's a 2009 post? it's WHF forum! obviously the OP didn't get any reply to his inquiry although the subject is really interesting! i wanted to post a new topic but then changed my mind and decided to ressurect an old thread.

so how can it be that 700£ Cyrus outperform 10000£ Naim cds3? do you agree with the test?

and why we don't see this review of cd6se on the site?

well, maybe it doesn't matter to anyone.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
krolikgena said:
plastic penguin said:
What's this all about? This was mentioned back in 2009ish. Don't understand the post.

Since which time, the Audiolab and now Naim CD 5si has usurped the Cyrus CD6SE MKII version.

so what if it's a 2009 post? it's WHF forum! obviously the OP didn't get any reply to his inquiry although the subject is really interesting! i wanted to post a new topic but then changed my mind and decided to ressurect an old thread.

so how can it be that 700£ Cyrus outperform 10000£ Naim cds3? do you agree with the test?

Well some of your post does not make sense. Saying at last the review is just out that was 4 years ago. The model has been relaced long since.

krolikgena said:
plastic penguin said:

No need to get grumpy. Just stating a fact that your info is way outmoded.

Don't know how that Naim and Cyrus compare. Perhaps book a demo and decide for yourself.

krolikgena said:
plastic penguin said:

so what if it's a 2009 post?

Having checked in my archive the Cyrus CD6SE (MKI version) was first reviewed by WHFI S&V in their September 2008 edition.

The Audiolab CD8200 was group tested, alongside the Cyrus, in December 2010.

jjbomber

plastic penguin said:
jjbomber said:
It was a software glitch. Interestingly naim now have the same problem.

Do they? first I've heard of it.

Allow me to bring you up to speed. Last year I had a unitilite. Great sound but wouldn't play CDrs and occasionally wouldn't play CDs. Back to Naim for Unitilite number 2. Same problem. Changed again for Unitilite number 3, same problem but not quite so bad. Back to Audio Excellence in Swansea. Meeting with Rob the manager. He explained that he had exactly the same problem with Cyrus. He send them some of the offending CDs and the reported that it was a software problem. Cyrus issued an update and now all is OK.

So, I forwarded 4 Cds to Naim via Audio Excellence and Naim have ... done nothing. Not a thing. Zilch. The shop phone every week and just get a 'we are working on it' reply. I was last in Audio Excellence last week and they said they have now officially given up. So I have a Unitilite that is great for everything except CD playback. Ironically I have an N-Vi and a Uniti that play CDs perfectly; it only seems to be the Unitilite.

The 'just to rub salt in the wounds' bit. the rep who is supposed to be sorting it out was Jason Gould. While all this is happening, or not happening, I get my naim magazine, Connections, where we have a picture of Jason Gould being promoted. AAarrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!!!

jjbomber said:
plastic penguin said:
jjbomber said:
It was a software glitch. Interestingly naim now have the same problem.

Do they? first I've heard of it.

Allow me to bring you up to speed. Last year I had a unitilite. Great sound but wouldn't play CDrs and occasionally wouldn't play CDs. Back to Naim for Unitilite number 2. Same problem. Changed again for Unitilite number 3, same problem but not quite so bad. Back to Audio Excellence in Swansea. Meeting with Rob the manager. He explained that he had exactly the same problem with Cyrus. He send them some of the offending CDs and the reported that it was a software problem. Cyrus issued an update and now all is OK.

So, I forwarded 4 Cds to Naim via Audio Excellence and Naim have ... done nothing. Not a thing. Zilch. The shop phone every week and just get a 'we are working on it' reply. I was last in Audio Excellence last week and they said they have now officially given up. So I have a Unitilite that is great for everything except CD playback. Ironically I have an N-Vi and a Uniti that play CDs perfectly; it only seems to be the Unitilite.

The 'just to rub salt in the wounds' bit. the rep who is supposed to be sorting it out was Jason Gould. While all this is happening, or not happening, I get my naim magazine, Connections, where we have a picture of Jason Gould being promoted. AAarrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!!!

I had a problem with my CD5i a few months ago and sent it back to Naim (via the dealer), but I thought my case was fairly isolated.

jjbomber

It's rather a case of keeping quiet about it I think. If it was a car it would be a recall and in all the papers, as well as individuals having a personal letter. If it's a hi-fi, then cover it up as soon as possible. Anyway, this is 5 months of waiting so far. I'll let you know if I ever do get any progress with Naim.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts