Naim Nait 5si or Icon Audio Stereo 40 KT88

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Starting a new topic as my others are a bit long and I think I'm nearing a decision.

I've got a few more demo's to do but I think I'm near to finding what I want.

Choice currently between Naim Nait 5si and Icon Audio Stereo 40.

Icon Audio Stereo 40 sounded good. When I demoed it I was planning on demoing a couple of amps and comparing Icon Audio speakers. After fairly quickly picking speakers to use, Icon Audio MFV3 Super, I kept just putting CD after CD on to hear what it could do and liked everything. I did briefly try another amp but went back to this one and tried more CD's. I even went out to my car to get another CD to try that I wasn't going to bother using!

I was surprised by the Naim demo. I was not expecting to like the amp. From what I've read about Naim amps and what I have been trying to find I thought Naim would be the worst amp (excluding Cyrus) for me to go for. I liked what it did with the music. Natural, detailed but not harsh, good imaging & very well controlled bass. I think I could live with it and enjoy it long term.

Since the Naim demo I am not enjoying my music as much. I can really hear my systems faults.

I now also do not think I am after a warm sounding system. I wanted that initially as an escape from the Cyrus system I had. After not finding anything that I like by following that route and after hearing the Naim I think I want a natural sounding neutral sound. I think that the Naim does that very well but will get a home demo to be sure. I like the idea of valve amps and the Icon Audio amp was good making me want to keep playing music.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
This is very personal.

For me, the answer is easy, as I don't like Naim.........which should have no bearing on what you should choose.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
This is very personal.

For me, the answer is easy, as I don't like Naim.........which should have no bearing on what you should choose.

Cno, is it just a personal thing about not liking Naim?

Must say would love to listen to the Icon Audio amp - in theory it seems a good alternative to an Elicit, not sure if valves would be a hazard to young children? I have kids and missus wouyld not allow a ban on the room where my hifi is!

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Cno, I didn't think I would like the Naim as I thought they where bright sounding from what others have said, but seemed to work well with Quad 11L speakers. In theory Naim should work well with my Quad 21L2's. Home demo is a must though!

Stevebrock, I think most/all Icon Audio amps come with a valve cover so you can't burn yourself, maybe making them more child friendly.

I like your second reply. After all the other demo's, after a few days I've not felt I want/need to upgrade. After the Naim demo I want to upgrade. I felt a bit like that after the Icon Audio demo.

I need to demo both amps again. I can get a home demo of the Naim easily but for Icon Audio it's easier to take my speakers.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
stevebrock said:
CnoEvil said:
This is very personal.

Cno, is it just a personal thing about not liking Naim?

Must say would love to listen to the Icon Audio amp - in theory it seems a good alternative to an Elicit, not sure if valves would be a hazard to young children? I have kids and missus wouyld not allow a ban on the room where my hifi is!

It's completely personal.

Interestingly, I owned a Naim 42/110/Snaps back in the 80s, and I certainly enjoyed the synergy with the LP12 and some MA 852s.

Recently, I have heard Naim again, from the modest ones up to their fairly expensive models......and the sound just doesn't engage me the way it used to.

I can't tell you if my taste has changed, having heard a greater range of kit; or whether the old Naim / Linn combination was a little bit of majik (!).

IMO. For Naim to come out on top, it has to beat brands like Electro, Sugden, Lavardin, Pathos, Musical fidelity, Bel Canto, Unison Research and Icon Audio, to name but a few.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, just tried to join Naim forum and was declined membership!

Off to demo Icon Audio amps on Wednesday and taking my Quad speakers with me.

I think I might be swayed towards Icon Audio...

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Cyrus aCA 7.5 pre, 2 x SmartPower used in mono mode.

If I can't join Naim forum, what is the rest of their support going to be like? No explanation, just declined. That could sway my.

Not tried Leema.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Naim generally cut their teeth on great amplification - it is their stock in trade from day one, what they do best. Although speaker matching does play a part, you can normally get a great sound from Naim kit.

However, we are also of the opinion that Icon Audio does offer great performance for its price, and we are big fans of their kit, so completely understand your listening experiences. Can I ask what was it about the Naim that was so surprising in your audition, and is the Icon still on your radar?

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I had read & heard that Naim is bright/forward sounding, probably not for me.

The demo showed me differently to that stereotype.

The amp seemed detailed yet not harsh, controlling the speakers very well, and voices/instruments sounded realistic.

I am seriously considering Icon Audio Stereo 40 KT88 so am taking my speakers to them on Wednesday to make sure they can do the job.

I'm not going to write-off Naim because of the forum thing, but it could affect my decision.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks chebby, worth me posting the issue on here.

I did have a look on the Naim forum to see if there was a problem but could not find anything – maybe I should look harder next time! I'll give it a few days and apply again.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
FennerMachine said:
If I can't join Naim forum, what is the rest of their support going to be like? No explanation, just declined. That could sway my.

Technical hitches.

Nothing personal.

http://forums.naimaudio.com/topic/having-difficulty-registering-for-the-forum--please-read

Look at the second post from 1 hour ago.

I can assure you that service and support from Naim (and their dealers) is exemplary. I know this from personal experience.

Please don't assume that a tempory software glitch with their web forum registration process is going to be indicitive of poor products or poor service / support.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Took my Quad 21L2 speakers and 751BD to Icon Audio today.

First up Stereo 60. My speakers did not sound right. Something was amiss! Moved the speakers wider and further out into the room but with other speakers behind them. Sounded a bit better but still not right. Tried some mono amps – after a while a bit better but still not right.

Then Stereo 40 amp. Better but still something wrong. The overall music was good but the bass was missing. It was a large room (approx 5.5mx7m) with speakers behind mine so thought this may be affecting the bass. I persisted with some more music trying to ignore the bass issue. I played various tracks from a range of music.

My patience eventually paid off. Something must have needed warming or loosening up as after about 30 minutes with the Stereo 40 things fell into place! Everything started to sound better and the missing bass arrived! Played a few tracks that didn't sound right before and they sounded great!

Very realistic sound with acoustic/live music, more than enough bass with dance/club music, other genres sounded great too. Sounded great with good recording and very good with poor recordings.

Decision made – Icon Audio Stereo 40 KT88.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
Thats great you found what you wanted.

I believe this journey started by you looking to change your speakers?

And I think it was your good self that first brought up the point that a change of amplifier was more appropriate.

Yo should at least 'chip in' a few bob towards his new amplifier...... ;)

Shifting the subject slightly, I have long been looking at the optimum c£2k playback system (dac, amp and speakers)

I have been pondering the Icon Stereo 40 with the very sensitive Q Acoustics 2050i......... :?

If you have the room this would be an interesting dem.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
BigH said:
Thats great you found what you wanted.

I believe this journey started by you looking to change your speakers?

And I think it was your good self that first brought up the point that a change of amplifier was more appropriate.

Yo should at least 'chip in' a few bob towards his new amplifier...... ;)

Shifting the subject slightly, I have long been looking at the optimum c£2k playback system (dac, amp and speakers)

I have been pondering the Icon Stereo 40 with the very sensitive Q Acoustics 2050i......... :?

If you have the room this would be an interesting dem.

Yes I think I did suggest hearing some amps as well, As for chipping in I don't think so as I'm not working at the moment.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FennerMachine said:
Decision made – Icon Audio Stereo 40 KT88.

FWIW. I think, given what you are trying to achieve, you have made the right decision.....and I think, when you get the amp home for a while, you will realize just how right that decision was.

Down the road, you can improve things further, by looking at speakers (eg. Harbeth, Audio Note, Icon Audio etc)......but that will come after living with, and enjoying your system as it is.

Enjoy your new toy

Cno

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Not bought it yet, will do later in the year.

Quest started by looking at speakers. I was going to spend up to £3000.

The KT88 amp, after I have sold kit I will no longer need, will cost me about £1000.

Nice!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FennerMachine said:
Not bought it yet, will do later in the year.

Quest started by looking at speakers. I was going to spend up to £3000.

The KT88 amp, after I have sold kit I will no longer need, will cost me about £1000.

Nice!

That will still leave £2k for speakers. :shifty: :cheer:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts