Cyrus/Naim Speaker pairings

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Sonos requires an amplifier, which makes it less than perfect for the OP's system as you say, therefore why recommend it? You really are a loose canon sometimes, ddc, mate.

Personally I'd go the Naim/Neat route, they're an excellent combination and you don't have to stuff about with extra boxes.

Just trying out the options. Several of the following posts make it quite clear that a bit more money spent on the speakers, particularly if they are to be floorstanders, would be avantageous so just looking at a way this could be done in budget.

But, for once, you are probably right, the OP sounds comfortable with the Naim or Cyrus combinations but both probably lack the power and control for floor standers in all but ideal conditions. The small Neat floorstanders are as good as you can get at this sort of money but driven by a UnitiQute?

So the best advice is to try and get speakers, particularly floorstanders, into your room and to not completely rule out standmounts.

Big Grumpy

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Well first of all 'Thank You' to everyone who has taken the time to write such info rich replies. It has left me with a lot of things to mull over. While reading the replies arriving I kind of went back to basics in my own mind as the plethora of options had me a little lost as to what I wanted when I started this quest.

My existing 15 year old Cambridge CD and amp hooked in to neatly proportioned Eltax floorstanders has served me well. While some of you may have just spluttered your coffee at the screen because they may be seen as an odd combination the fact is that I bought them because I liked the sound. Point being that I agree with all those who have said not to be so heavily influenced by reviews et al and I just need to go and listen. Back in 1998 there wasn't so much information so readily available and it was then simply a case of sitting down in a demo room with my selections, closing my eyes and seeing which combination grabbed me by the nuts. Ah those simple days!!

I don't claim to understand all the terms I've read as this isn't my hobby. Attack? Cohesion? Imaging? I'm afraid I'm a peasant and such things are lost on me. I just wanted something clear, powerful and made it seem like Lemmy was in the room smoking my ciggies and quaffing my JD! In short, although I have a very wide taste in music, I use the existing system when I want something loud and crunchy. So why am I bothering at all? I want a unit with provision for handling digital music built in - not relying on an iPod dock connected to a non-dedicated input on the back of my amp. I also need a new toy as it's been a tough year and I deserve some shopping!

OK, I won't rule out stand mounts and might listen to a few if I can but I still have a love of floorstanders. I can't help myself! Maybe I won't get the purest most efficient performance out of 'cheap' sub £1000 floorstanders but as someone said earlier - speakers are so subjective. If I can achieve power, clarity and depth with a nice punchy bass (without making my neighbour's fillings rattle due to Chav Wagon-type boom) then that will do these old ears fine thank you. So I take on board the comments posted here about the pitfalls and also those regarding the Neat and Rega speakers - both of which I believe the local independent store can offer and demo. One thing puzzles me and that's WHF's 2013 sub-£1000 floorstanders winner - the Tannoy SE speakers. I just wondered what they tested them with to reach that conclusion because nobody gives them a mention? Is that purely because of hooking them up to the Naim or Cyrus?

So I will demo all I can, let my lugholes decide and then haggle. One possible plus point is that I won't be alone - a mate of mine has similar requirements and a similar budget so maybe there will be a deal to be had that will match some those I've seen on the interweb.

Again, thank you all for your time and input :clap:

Big Grumpy

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Just thought I'd update this.

I demo'd both the Naim UnitiLite and Cyrus Streamline 2 with Kef Q500's, Tannoy SE's and Kudos X2's. I also listened to the Naim through Neat Motive 2's and Rega RS3's.

Of all those permutations it came down to the Naim with the Rega RS3's versus the Cyrus and Kudos X2's (alas at different suppliers). I must be odd because I've read such rave reviews of the UnitiLite but I didn't take to it that much. From a usability point of view I much preferred the Cyrus' n-remote to getting the iPad out in order to control the Naim with any grace. Sound-wise it did sound good with the Rega's but when hooked to the Kudos speakers (what I thought would be a killer combination) it was far too boomy and seemed to overpower them somewhat. The Cyrus dampened that boom nicely without losing punch and detail. Both systems were fairly equal in my view so aspects such as speaker finish, price and usability came to the fore - as did the rather snooty attitude of the dealer hawking the Naim/Rega combo.

In the end I plumped for the Cyrus/Kudos combination and am looking forward to playing with my new toys very soon.

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice - here's to the next time :cheers:

namefail

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
SpursGator said:
Well, first of all, there is nothing wrong with a good floorstander. Generally they will take up the same amount of space as a smaller speaker plus a stand, and deliver better bass. It is true that cheaper floorstanders can often sound boomy, since it takes a better bass driver to deal with the extra air in the box, and it's awfully hard to build a floorstander under a grand with a decent bass driver. Look at the cost of the really good floorstanders from ProAc or PMC and you'll see.

But in your exact situation, I can understand why the 'experts' are pushing you towards stand mounted speakers - and it isn't because of 'extra detail' (an oft-cited, but only sort-of-true, advantage of standmounts). Here are my reasons why you might be on the wrong track looking at standmounts:

1. Your budget. A grand or so can get you into a higher range on small speakers, but not bigger ones. For example, you could afford ProAc Studio series standmounts but not floorstanders. You could buy PMC DB1s but not any of their larger ones. Taking smaller speakers gets you better speakers - not because standmounts are better but because of where your budget falls.

2. Your room. Floorstanders - especially cheaper ones - need more space or they sound boomy. You have a smallish room and you don't have much positional flexibility. A floorstander close to the wall is not ideal. Read the reviews on WHF - nearly always, they will tell you that floorstanders need some space to perform their best. You may not have the ability to position them where they belong, and so you won't get the benefit of the bigger boxes. (For this reason, if you do buy floorstanders, you MUST get an in-home demo - they will not sound like they do at the shop in your room)

3. Speaker design. Floorstanders can give better bass, and thus throw up a big soundstage - but they get their better bass due to the additional space inside the box. They only way for a speaker designer to make use of the extra air, though, is to build a ported (bass-reflex) box. This is why they need space - the port output is reinforcing the low end by blowing air out at a specific tuning. If you put it close to a wall, the room modes will make the bass sound like a single, thumping note. You get more, but crappier, bass. Standmounts may have the same problem - but some standmounts are sealed boxes (or transmission line like the PMCs) and even ported standmounts give you the option of stuffing the ports to control the bass. You can't stuff a floorstander because there is too much air (a sealed box will always be smaller in volume than an ideal ported box for the same driver). You simply have more options with a standmount.

Since you need to put these close to a wall, a sealed speaker might be a better option. There will be less bass but it will be better behaved - and your smallish room will give you some room gain.

My advice is to try some standmounts before you make a final decision, and make sure you try some non-ported options. I would absolutely audition the be ATC SCM11s, which are slightly over budget but you said you'd be willing. WHF loved them and they are very well-behaved sealed boxes. I love the PMC DB1s which are tiny but have surprising (and accurate) bass.

You just get more for your money, more flexibility, more options to control the bass, and a better match for your room with smaller speakers.

Best of luck! Take your time, and don't forget to look at used speakers if you want to go higher end. Doesn't have to be eBay, plenty of dealers have used kit they will stand behind. If you went with the Naim and could find some used (and front-ported) ProAc D twos, you would be a very happy man - and your system would be light years better than if you bought cheap floorstanders.

Great post SpursGator. cheers :)

A

Anonymous

Big grumpy, sorry to resirect your old post but have just come across your discusion and wondering how you found the sound of the Tannoy dc6t se's sound when paired with the Cyrus streamline 2 unit when you had your demo sessions??

ive owned the tannoy dc6t se's for a few months now which sound great to me, but currently have them running from a sony av receiver and sonos zp90 and thinking about changing these two components and buy something like the cyrus streamline 2 as i no longer use the av amp for movies etc... Since buying a new tv with a soundbar. And now just want a good neat stereo....

like you i am finding it hard to find a shop to demo both units together so interested in your experience of hearing them together!

thanks in advance!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts