Naim Superuniti/NDX - Speaker Matching

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Well, after endless demos in the last few weeks to try and find speakers that matched well with my Linn setup I have admitted defeat. As a result I've today taken a 'backward' (no disrespect at all) step to enable me to take 2 steps forward and decided to sell my entire Linn kit and buy a budget system in the form of the Marantz NA6005/PM6005 and Monitor Audio Silver 1's. I have to say I am actually quite excited about going 'back' to separates hifi and the simplicity that brings despite the obvious difference in quality.

Even though this appears to be madness there's method in it. The Marantz will serve as an interim system for a year to enable me to save up for the system I have identified that I want. After that it will be a very capable second system that I'll keep for many years. I had Marantz separates for many years pre-Linn days and always loved their sound. I demo'd that setup today and was very impressed with what you get for the cash - very capable.

However, after that, I've decided to move over to the dark side after having heard the Naim Superuniti yesterday, briefly with the PMC Twenty 23's. They were a great pairing and demontrated to me that Naim is easily paired with numerous components whereas I have always felt that Linn suits Linn. I'm not bagging Linn by the way - I have owned their stuff for over 20 years and it's great. But I don't like their speakers and their upgrade routes are, to me, becoming more complex and expensive.

So I am on a twofold quest to save up AND identify potentially good matching for speakers for the Superuniti (or possibly NDX/Supernait 2). PMC are definitely on my list and I have heard good things about ProAc. Ultimately I'll simply pick what I like regardless of review scores but any other Naim users care to share recommendations for demo?

Mainly rock/prog in a medium sized room, preferably floorstanders but not necessarily. Budget around £3500. I plan to keep this set up for many years.

Thanks in advance.

A lot is going to depend more on your room rather than matching to an amp. Are you able to take reasonably sized floorstanders?

If so then, along with Cnoevils suggestions I'd add Sonus Faber Venere 2.5, or if you can actually find a pair of second hand Acoustic Zen Adagios you will not be disappointed.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Al ears said:
A lot is going to depend more on your room rather than matching to an amp. Are you able to take reasonably sized floorstanders?

If so then, along with Cnoevils suggestions I'd add Sonus Faber Venere 2.5, or if you can actually find a pair of second hand Acoustic Zen Adagios you will not be disappointed.

Yeah definitely. It's not a massive room but there's anough damping in there to accommodate a decent sized floorstander without it being an issue. The size of the Twenty 23's was easily within limits. However a decent standmount would also not be an issue though, ultimately, the system will be moved to a larger room so I need to 'future proof' it a bit.

I have read a lot about the Sonus Fabers but can't find anywhere locally that does them. I also thought about Dynaudio?

A couple of years ago heard a Naim XS with a £4k Naim streamer (can't remember the model no.). It sounded wonderful. The speakers Dynaudio Contour 1.4S.These were spanking sounding. The only downside was their size - they very deep and will need breathing space.

Otherwise, PMC, Neat, B&W 805S (almost purchased a pair of these before buying my TB2i)

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions folks I am slowly compiling a list of them to demo and it's likely to be a longer term project as I take my time to pick the components I want.

I will probably struggle to listen to ATC's and Sonus Fabers simply due to the geography of the dealers as most are quite some way away. However I certainly plan to listen to the following:
PMC Twenty 23 PMC Twenty 24 ProAc D20r Kudos X3 Kudos Cardea Super 10 Neat Motive SX1 Dynaudio Excite x34 Dynaudio Focus 160 Dynaudio Contour 1.4. Even I should be able to pick a winner from that lot. Pity the dealers though *smile*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
If you want good floor standers but dont want boomy base in a smaller room id look at atc scm 40 about the budget youve stated and are sealled so you wont have issues with positioning. They have good reviews and are revealing.

If i had the money id look at them

Andrewjvt said:
If you want good floor standers but dont want boomy base in a smaller room id look at atc scm 40 about the budget youve stated and are sealled so you wont have issues with positioning. They have good reviews and are revealing.

Hi Andrew

+3
thumbs_up.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:

Thank you. As I said above though the issue I have demoing my kit with ATC's is that there are no dealers that close to me so I may have to give them a miss which, from all avvounts, would be a shame.

The more I think about it the more I suspect I'd be better of with a set of really good standmounts. I have heard really good things about the Kudos Super 10's, Dynaudio Contour 1.4's and the Dynaudio Focus 160's.

However, pretty much everything depends on how they sound at home and if some of the floor standers cut it without being too boomy then they are still an option.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I have heard really good things about the Kudos Super 10's, Dynaudio Contour 1.4's and the Dynaudio Focus 160's.

However, pretty much everything depends on how they sound at home and if some of the floor standers cut it without being too boomy then they are still an option.
[/quote]

You cant go wrong with dynaudio - lovely speakers

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
You have drawn a decent shortlist, especially since ProAc and Neat speakers are known to work well with Naim amplification. I would add Spendor to your list - I believe the highly-rated D7 might just fit your budget. And not forgetting Focal, since they have merged with Naim - I heard the Superuniti driving the Focal Arias and Sopras recently and the sounds were very agreeable.

Just one more point - if you are considering the Supernait2/NDX combination later, bear in mind that an alternative route for the same money might be the new NAC N-272 streaming preamp, paired with either the NAP 200 power amp or even the NAC 250. Over on the Naim forum the 272 has been very well-received and I believe the cost of the 272/200 at least, will be roughly the same as SN2/NDX.

Good luck!

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Musical neither bright or warm just good . Go listen to some with a good strong amp and see for your self

They rock

If they rock they are on my list. I am gonna try the Superuniti and the Streamer/Supernait 2 combo with them - both of those should have enough welly to power them up. Looking forward to it.

For some wonderful and really compact speakers, you could a lot worse than Totem Arros. Not heard them with Naim but have read some great reviews about the combo.

Had these speakers on home dem with the Leema: Awesome imaging. They really tugged my rug in a big way but decided against them due to the fact they were too narrow: A no-no with pets and young children IMO.

Otherwise a real winner.

I've heard various combinations of Naim and PMC in recent years, and all have been most enjoyable. It is as though the slightly bouncy Naim sound brings out the life in the slightly studio-ish PMCs.

What I've never got on with is Naim's own speakers, and that's being polite. But you should try to hear some, perhaps.

As a sonus faber owner, I can't quite imagine them with Naim, but others speak well of the newer Venere range, so definitely worth seeking out. I agree Linn with Linn seems best, though Linn sources are pretty well unbeatable if you can run to the Klimax. Have heard the £18k Linn Akudorik premp and DAC/speaker combo. Just like the WHF review really; super clean, but not for me much like real music, too clinical. Great on digital pop stuff though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts