NAD - New Amps C338 / C368 /C 388

itsme

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi Chaps,

just want to share with you the new hifi amps + digital inputs in ons nice component. check nadelectronics.com

C338 nice small amp,

C368 modular MDC options

Wonder if the c338 has a DAC, must be, because there are digital inputs, right?

cheers

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Full marks NAD for developing amps that genuinely move with the times. With their digital inputs and app-capable control, but especially with their MDC modules giving the possibility of 4k HDMI inputs and Bluesound streaming modules.

As my main musical source these days is Tidal, one of these amps with the Bluesound MDC module would do everything I want. And with the analogue inputs, I could use the pre-outs from my AV receiver to marry them together for multi-channel purposes.

These amps make Arcam's SR250 seem expensive. The whole point of stereo amps having HDMI inputs is to maximise the performance versus cost, but Arcam's 2-channel amp is actually MORE expensive than its multi-channel sister the AVR550, which itself is firmly in high-end budget territory. So these offerings from NAD are really the first serious attemps at offering 2-channel performance with AVR type features at reasonable prices.

They've clearly given these products a great deal of thought. The MDC modules in particular prevent the possibility of throwing your amp away just because one of its features has been superceded. The proof will be in the listening of course, but I hope they do well with them - they certainly deserve to.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Agree, they look good.

Modular amps are not new. Creek are doing them and some others too. The question is how much those modules cost. You soon could end up with an entry level (power wise) amp that may have new facilities but costs as much as a higher tier amp that offers the same facilities a couple of years down the line.

Still, I think these look great as long as you get the top or at least the middle one.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I think they are brilliant products and id consider buying if i were looking for an amp. Thats the first new product ive seen for months thats excited me.

How close are the amps to iq speakers nord amps?

Andrewjvt said:
I think they are brilliant products and id consider buying if i were looking for an amp. Thats the first new product ive seen for months thats excited me.

How close are the amps to iq speakers nord amps?

Apart from using a Hypex UcD output stage I would imagine they are not at all alike. Isn't Boggit concentrating on power amps?

The NADs are modular stereo integrated Class D amps, which I happen to think will find plenty of buyers, but after adding a couple of modules you are unlikely to get one below £1500 which opens things up to a good number of others.

manicm

chebby said:

It's not actually. What's not apparent at first glance is that the C338 contains a full-blown upnp streamer, - albeit wifi only and no formats specified, apart from aptX Bluetooth and its digital inputs. Like the Cyrus One it also contains a phono stage.

You need to download the datasheet to view the full specs.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Leeps said:
Full marks NAD for developing amps that genuinely move with the times. With their digital inputs and app-capable control, but especially with their MDC modules giving the possibility of 4k HDMI inputs and Bluesound streaming modules.

As my main musical source these days is Tidal, one of these amps with the Bluesound MDC module would do everything I want. And with the analogue inputs, I could use the pre-outs from my AV receiver to marry them together for multi-channel purposes.

These amps make Arcam's SR250 seem expensive. The whole point of stereo amps having HDMI inputs is to maximise the performance versus cost, but Arcam's 2-channel amp is actually MORE expensive than its multi-channel sister the AVR550, which itself is firmly in high-end budget territory. So these offerings from NAD are really the first serious attemps at offering 2-channel performance with AVR type features at reasonable prices.

Agree Leeps,

It will allow BluRay Audio to be played through a stereo amp and, with effectively a built in Bluesound Node 2 and BluOS, be one of the first HiFi integrated streaming amps to be MQA ready - should Tidal ever get it's act together.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
manicm said:
chebby said:

It's not actually. What's not apparent at first glance is that the C338 contains a full-blown upnp streamer, - albeit wifi only and no formats specified, apart from aptX Bluetooth and its digital inputs. Like the Cyrus One it also contains a phono stage.

You need to download the datasheet to view the full specs.

It doesn't seem so expensive comparing like for like with their competitors that require you to add extra boxes before offering the same spec. I personally think Roksan's expensive. £1200 for their K3 amp with no digital inputs then they charge another £1200 for their DAC. Plus there's the space to consider as they're both full-size components. I like Roksan's sound, but their amps offer the same features as their predecessors did 20 years ago.

Even Cambridge charge £700 for their streamer alone, so if you added that to their CXA80 amp you'd be knocking on the door of NAD's top model which offers 150wpc

Of course all our comments before listening are a little premature, but I admire NAD's willingness to think about how people actually use hifi these days. How many times do we see people on this forum who are music lovers who also want to power their TV & Bluray for up to a grand or so and the only products we can point them to are multi-channel AV receivers. It's about time more stereo amps came with streaming and HDMI.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts