NAD C390DD upgrade from Denon Ceol

Cynic-al

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Took delivery yesterday of NAD C390DD to replace my trusty Denon Ceol RCD-N7 driving a pair of B&W CM8's.

For all you Marantz MCR 603/610/Denon CEOL doubters out there, let me tell you that my Denon sounds exactly the same if not better than this once £2000 amplifier.

Sure this NAD can play much cleaner at high levels, but at normal/quiet listening levels I prefer the slightly richer sound of the Denon. I've waited a long time to replace my Denon and when I saw this at half original RRP I thought it was a no brainer.

Its had 24hrs to 'burn in' but it hasn't improved, I'm sticking with the Denon, it does everything and sounds fantastic and drives them CM8's no problem it's a fantastic product.

Cynic-al

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
CD quality WAV files direct from Media PC via USB and but also tried SPDIF. Apart from the bass hitting ever so slightly harder at higher levels, there was no real difference and the Denon actually sounds nicer at lower volumes.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Cynic-al said:
CD quality WAV files direct from Media PC via USB and but also tried SPDIF. Apart from the bass hitting ever so slightly harder at higher levels, there was no real difference and the Denon actually sounds nicer at lower volumes.

I'd give it a week before switching back - can only imagine what your 'normal levels' sound like but NAD kit in that price range is usually pretty good and it's the price range your speakers deserve.

Take time to have a good listen..... :)

Cynic-al

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi Steve,

That's a great description, flat and lifeless. I returned it to the store this morning and they asked if I had configured the amp for my speakers ie impedance and room eq, and to be honest I hadn't.

I don't think even after doing all that, the sonic signature would have changed much.

I did listen to the Naim UnitiQute 2 with some CM8's whilst in there and it sounded very nice, I'm going to mull it over the weekend, NO MORE impulse purchases!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts