NAD C390DD jitter

martinh-dk

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

According to marketing and reviews, the C390DD does not add much jitter.
But does anyone know how it fares with "jittery" sources?
Does it reclock or otherwise reduce jitter?

I am considering C390DD along with a Sonos Connect (the latter for its usability/WAF).
But the Connect does not have the best reputation as far as jitter is concerned.

Best regards
Martin

SteveR750

I had the C390D for abojut a month when it was first launched. Nothing wrong with the DAC section, I tried both the optical and the USB (with their own ASIO driver installed). The biggest problem is the boring sound of the Class D power amp.

martinh-dk

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
I had the C390D for abojut a month when it was first launched. Nothing wrong with the DAC section, I tried both the optical and the USB (with their own ASIO driver installed). The biggest problem is the boring sound of the Class D power amp.

Thanks a lot,
So you did not notice any diffference depending on source used?
It was evenly good/bad, no matter what?

(BTW: Technically the amp is not a DAC /Class D combo - it's just a PCM/PWM "converter".)

/Martin

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Information about the amp is thin on the ground. It certainly supports async USB which would make it immune to jitter along that path, but the Sonos 'connect' is S/PDIF only.

Given that the amp does fancy DSP stuff from the word go, it would be a surprise to find the whole shooting match was slaved to the input S/PDIF clock. On the basis of no information at all, I would guess that the amp does some asysnc sampling or ring buffer trick to avoid input jitter on the S/PDIF link.

Been wrong befoe though.

martinh-dk

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
andyjm said:
Information about the amp is thin on the ground. It certainly supports async USB which would make it immune to jitter along that path, but the Sonos 'connect' is S/PDIF only.

Given that the amp does fancy DSP stuff from the word go, it would be a surprise to find the whole shooting match was slaved to the input S/PDIF clock. On the basis of no information at all, I would guess that the amp does some asysnc sampling or ring buffer trick to avoid input jitter on the S/PDIF link.

Been wrong befoe though.

Thank you,
That sounds very plausible.
I've asked NAD Support as well - I wonder if they will return with a useful answer :)

/Martin

SteveR750

martinh-dk said:
SteveR750 said:

Thanks a lot,So you did not notice any diffference depending on source used?It was evenly good/bad, no matter what?

(BTW: Technically the amp is not a DAC /Class D combo - it's just a PCM/PWM "converter".)

/Martin

I found it to be most Un-NAD like in its presentation, source independent, hence my conclusion it was the analogue power amplifier section.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
I found it to be most Un-NAD like in its presentation, source independent, hence my conclusion it was the analogue power amplifier section.

For better or worse, the amp is digital all the way to the speaker terminals. Class D is a PWM switching topology, which I would personally not consider analogue.

music22

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
Sonos is known for some jitter, which is why they are modified by wyred4sound.

Another thought would be the new Node instead of Sonos.

It is made by Bluesound by the folks that make NAD, so maybe a better fit for your receiver?

Also supports Hi Res music which Sonos does not.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
music22 said:
Sonos is known for some jitter, which is why they are modified by wyred4sound.

Another thought would be the new Node instead of Sonos.

It is made by Bluesound by the folks that make NAD, so maybe a better fit for your receiver?

Also supports Hi Res music which Sonos does not.

And the BluOS GUI works excellently and very intuitively too.

And Bluesound supports Spotify Connect, so you don't depend on the device's own UI to use Spotify (as is the case with Sonos).

And you should ask your NAD-dealer about this, but maybe BluOS-integration is/will be available for the 390 (with a modular slot, possibly). If that's the case, you won't even need an extra box for your streaming and multiroom. I'm using a NAD M50 streamer, and it has the BluOS on board, so can integrate in a Bluesound multiroom system.

martinh-dk

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
DocG. said:
And you should ask your NAD-dealer about this, but maybe BluOS-integration is/will be available for the 390 (with a modular slot, possibly). If that's the case, you won't even need an extra box for your streaming and multiroom. I'm using a NAD M50 streamer, and it has the BluOS on board, so can integrate in a Bluesound multiroom system.

A BluOS MDC is available for the C390DD - and it's even cheaper than a Sonos Connect.
So from an audiophile "value for money" perspective, I guess it's a no-brainer.

I just haven't been completely sold on the BluOS app experience, the few times I've had it demoed.
To me, the Sonos app is a bit more mature - and has an overall nicer "feel" to it.
- And the Wife Acceptance Factor does play a part here as well. :)

Will definitely take a good new look at Bluesound/BluOS before making a purchase.
Since it has so many technical/practical advantages over Sonos.

/Martin

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, do reconsider it! I lived with a Sonos Connect for a couple of years, and changed to NAD some two months ago. The OS is reliable and intuitive. Mrs. DocG (who is notoriously tech-shy) didn't complain about the switch either!

And for Spotify users, BluOS just gives more features and options than Sonos. That's the single most important advantage IMO.

And you would have one (electricity-consuming) box less in your system...

That is: if you like the 390's sound, of course...

martinh-dk

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
DocG said:
And for Spotify users, BluOS just gives more features and options than Sonos. That's the single most important advantage IMO.

That is: if you like the 390's sound, of course...

Definitely will consider the BluOS.
Will also do some serious auditioning on the amp before buying.
Even though NAD appears to have "tweaked" it a bit with rounded top / full low end, the PCM/PWM sound is not for everyone - no "analog" crispness or added airiness here.

BTW: Official reply from NAD here:
"Please be advised that the internal DDFA processor up samples the incoming signal to 384Khz and reduces the jitter from the input signal. "

Hmmm.....

/Martin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts