Practical question for AVI ADM9 owners

baz

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Good afternoon all,

At the risk of igniting World War III, I have a question or two about AVI's ADM9RS speakers,

We moved house last year and my hi-fi system is safely installed and sounding pretty fine, much to my pleasure. It comprises an Audiolab 8200CDQ, Sonos Connect, Project Elemental turntable, Tact SDA2175 power amp and Monitor Audio Silver RS8. I'm happy with it, but there are underlying, growing WAF factors at play here....the RS8s are pretty big and, to get the best out of them they need to be brought into the room a fair bit (the bass is too boomy when too close to the corner), then lifted back into place when the music's over. A minor hassle really, but they're also getting in the way a fair bit, as there could be an arm chair in place of one, a lamp in place of the other, blah blah....my wife doesn't bang on about it but I know she'd love not to have these big brown buggers sitting there, and I'm open to change too, I think the place would look better without them - I like the look of them but they do dominate things quite a bit.

SO

I'm considering flogging the RS8s and the SDA2175 and chopping them in for a pair of ADM9RS actives - the combination of having one less box, much smaller speakers (22x15x27cm, I believe), the fact that I can mount them on the wall and have them out of the way is quite appealing. Plus the fact that I'm completely intrigued about how the AVIs sound, having read the hundreds and hundreds of posts extolling their virtues, or otherwise.

So, can any of the ADM owners out there tell me ;

- If they have their speakers mounted on wall brackets, and if so, does it make much of a difference to sound quaility ? I know the perceived wisdom is to have them on stands, but having them higher up the wall would solve a lot of probs.

- Also, I'd like to keep the CDQ as I still play CDs a lot, as well as hooking the turntable up to it, I take it that is viable ?

- Finally, what benefits/changes, in your experience, can I expect in terms of sound quality if/when I switch from my current, more conventional set-up ?

The room is 5x4 metres, tiled floor, fair bit of furniture, pictures, woodburner, staircase, blah blah blah. - the pic below is of the current right speaker, and the idea is to mount the new speakers higher up in the corner on brackets, thus freeing up some space (in white, she's an interior designer folks)

image.tiff

As a lover of peace and harmony (and rock and roll, blues, soul, funk, punk, electronica and a bit of folk and jazz), I'd love to think I'll get a few constructive answers without too much bile being spilt, but who knows ! I couldn't give a hoot about the usual themes that seem to crop on AVI thread, I care only about the sound and the music.

Obviously I'll go along to audition a pair before I take the plunge, but I'm still interested in the opinion of others.

Thanks,

Baz

baz

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Hmmph what a surprise, the picture didn't post...any ideas of how to get it on here ? I right-clicked and selected "capture image", it all looked fine before I saved the post ?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
There's a guy on the AVI forum who has had to move his ADM9T's off stands and mounted them on wall brackets due to his growing family. He said they did sound slightly better on the stands but there aren't any major issues with them on wall brackets.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I am not sure your dimensions are right. I have recently installed a set for a friend and they sounded excellent:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/a-5-zone-multiroom-airplay-system-for-a-friend

Check the manufacturer's forum for further advice.

baz

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks lads, in fact I looked at AVI's website earlier and I think the dimensions I gave are actually for the DM5s (and I got the width/depth the wrong way 'round) - just had another look and can't see dimensions for the ADM9s, will look a bit harder !

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
MA to AVI. You won't know yourself.

Seriously though. As you are keeping the CDQ, perhaps the DM5s might be all you need, as all your sources go via the preamp and then just a pair of RCA to the speakers.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
As I have my speakers on a shelf and cardboard boxes, they are, in audiophile terms, not ideally placed. They do however, sound excellent.

Expect greater clarity and tighter bass, also perhaps a bit less bass (I've not heard the latest 9s), but then I'm more for quality over quantity anyhow.

The CDQ would make an excellent preamp and could be connected to the analogue or digital inputs of the ADMs.

I personally do not believe that you are likely to find a better system for the money and then some. I would also be suprised if you did not prefer them over the current setup.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I had a similar system to you.

I had a Lyngdorf SDAI2175 amp which I believe is the same. I used Dali Ikon 6 speakers.

Great combo.

I now have ADM9RS.

There are advantages and disadvantages imo.

The amp was of course fantastic and able to power my Dalis as good as it gets *I think.

The soundstage of the Dali and Lyngdorf IMO beats the ADMs

Tower speakers imo project a wider, bigger image. And for me personally, I prefer the slightly bright treble of the Dalis dual tweeter setup

Advantages of the ADMs...

They are unflappable. They go a lot louder with no distortion than I could hope with my Ikons and Lyngdorf. Deep bass on the Dalis was pretty horrible at high volume (even though at low volumes they go way lower than the ADMs)

They are very clear across the frequency range...my Dalis seem a little recessed in the mids by comparison.

On their own, they have decent bass, with the sub it becomes a whole.

Will they be the last speakers I buy...no chance. There are still things I prefer with my Dalis, but overall, for the price, they are unbeatable. imo

baz

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks JD for the tip re the picture, and thanks Frog for your insight into my current setup vs the ADMs, you could hardly be better placed ! I do love the sound at the moment, although the bass can be a little boomy, and things start to distort at medium to high levels, so I have a feeling I may enjoy the tight, controlled bass I hear about with the ADMs. I have a pair of Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 headphones, and the bass those give is incredible, not overpowering, but tight and somehow more "there". Looking forward to seeing if the ADMs are similar in that way (although obv hard to compare speakers with headphones, of course)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I've find that the general sound signature of my AVI Neutron system is more like my Westone earphones than most HiFi systems are which to my ears is a good thing. The Westone's have better clarity and detail but the overall sound is pretty similar. I think it's partly to do with them having similar tonal characteristics and partly to do with sounding clear and controlled.

tbh, I think the biggest problem for the OP is whether he can live with a lack of scale. He is going from one extreme, size-wise, to another and although it may not pose a problem on paper, in reality it could be problematic. Having experienced this myself, going from RS6s to PMC TB2, which are a largish standmounter, it took a while for me to adapt.

If the AVIs are a serious consideration then perhaps budget for a sub?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
AVI make fine speakers but they are not magic.

Wall mounting is going to be a compromise, particularly so with the bigger '9s. Just how much the bass reinforcement will bother you is a subjective evaluation as is the effect on the soundstage.

That said, ADM9s are better controlled in these conditions then pretty much anything else, depends what you can live with I think.

In your situation I would seriously think about DM5s on stands, you can get them pretty close to the wall, less than 6 inches, and they do not need toeing in, so with care and the right stands they can look reasonably unobtrusive. If you want more scale, a BK XLS200 tucked away out of sight will help.

baz

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your replies, all.

Wild, impulsive loon that I am, I have taken the plunge and have bought a pair of minters - white ADM9Ts, to be precise. They arrive tomorrow and I'm pretty excited !

TRENDING THREADS