NAD C317 crackles. Repair or exchange

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
The left channel of my NAD C317 crackles on low volume. Having little children low volume is mostly used nowadays.

It'll cost me at least €100 to repair, maybe more. Should I repair it or change the amp.

My current budget is limited to max € 500 (I think that's around 400 pound)

Current setup

CD NAD 512, amp NAD C317, speakers B&W CDM7 SE

interconnect Audioquest copperhead, speakercable Monitor Cobra Silver

I'm very happy with the B&W's and have no plans to exchange these in the near future.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Weirdly a simple google led me to another page with another person with the same problem... and the answer was that it was a common problem...

I have never even heard of the NAD C317, but I am guessing its quite old? In that case
I guess I would probably get a new one rather than spend good money after bad...

The C355BEE would probably fall around your price if you want to stay with NAD. Interesting speakers tho, could perhaps do with a higher budget.

nads

I had the same problem with my 3130. I had a good listen to lots of new stuff and decided that i may as well replace rather than fix. i still have it but it will be going to the garage when i get to it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your quick response. As a matter of fact I'm not fixed on NAD. So other options that suit the rather lean character of the B&W's are welcome as well.

I totally agree with you agree that the B&W's probably deserve a higher budget. With two young children there are however limitations.

A

Anonymous

I doubt whether I could find one for that price. Would be a fine option.

I almost don't dare to ask, but would an AV-amplifier be an option? I do tend to use my stereo when I'm watching movies as well. My main focus however would be stereo.Are they any good for stereo music?

Tnx Willem

A

Anonymous

Sure, it's an option, but unless you're planning to add extra speakers and build a surround sound system, I don't see the point. For stereo, you'll get more for your money by getting a dedicated stereo amp.

matthewpiano

Big Chris:You should find a nice Arcam A70 on eBay within budget.
Be careful. I ended up getting shut of an A70 because its flat and uninspiring sound got on my nerves in the end. Its a good amp in many respects but won't suit everyone.

A

Anonymous

I found out that I should take care.

I borrowed a brand new NAD 325BEE from a local shop. Until now it's very flat and uninspiring compared to the C317. It's fairly detailed but there is no depth. Eevn my wife complains.

They offered me to let it run for a week. I will do that, but I dont't think this will be the rightt one for me.

Tnx for any further help. Willem

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts