Question NAD 326BEE - What speakers??

Serg042

Apr 5, 2021
Visit site
Hello everyone!

I am looking for speakers for my NAD 326BEE.
I know that it should be the other way around and I should choose an amplifier for speakers, but I bought it at a bargain price, almost unused and I really like the character it shows when played on headphones (Beyerdynamic dt 770), so I would like to stay with it.

I would describe the sound that I like as: warm, but not "muddy warm", rather dynamic, full, punchy, with a strong and low-reaching bottom and a clear, but not harsh, tiring treble.
I am far from the definition of an audiophile, I like a bit more emphasized, fat bass (but well controlled, not one that moves walls), and much more pleasure than the perfect, laboratory reproduction of the original gives me the vibe in the songs, things that make the head move to the beat by itself, as well as the energy carried by the lower frequencies (although I don't mean the rumble obscuring the rest of the sounds, rather dynamic warmth that leads everything, but does not cover the treble).

The music is played from CD, turntable and laptop (FLAC), in terms of the genre, it is mainly US hip-hop from the 90’s, so drums with bass and vocals play a large role, although it does not mean that all the rest is irrelevant, because many rap albums (such as "The Chronic" by Dr. Dre, the first albums of Public Enemy, or The Roots) contain a whole lot of detail and flavour in the higher registers that it would be a shame to lose some details to the lows themselves.
It is also worth noting that some albums from earlier years were recorded in much worse conditions than modern ones, so the speakers cannot be too "critical", as is the case with, for example, studio monitors, which mercilessly show any imperfections in the mix.
In addition, I would like the speakers to be as good as possible when listening at lower volume levels, I often stay up late and would like to be able to enjoy the music without pissing off my neighbours at 2 am ;)

The budget I plan to spend oscillates around £500 and I take into account both new and second hand.

The room is a typical living room in a block of flats (about 16 m2 / 172 ft2), TV, table, sofa, bookshelf with Cd’s and records, bookshelf with books, two paintings, no curtains on the windows, floor - parquet / carpet (50/50), so I would define the acoustic conditions as average.

Of course, I am going to listen to the proposed models and not buy blind, I also plan to go to local Richer Sounds in a few days, so maybe you have any suggestions for specific models that I should check out from https://www.richersounds.com/stores/solihull.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Reactions: Musicmann067
D

Deleted member 116933

Warm Imply's colouration, It will deliver music in typical NAD fashion with LOTS of in your face excitement. If you want warm you've got the wrong amp. But it's not bright either its clear. It's a little gem. But make no mistake it's not warm.

You can go 1 of 2 ways

You can weather enhance those qualities and really lean into the upfront sound and go with brands like mission BW and Klipsch.

Or you can tame the sound a little and go with brands likes Wharfedale and q acoustics

As you say listen to the models but they're the brands' id start with. Each has something at your price point.

If you're happy going second hand, Mission M73/m74/i' s would be a match made in heaven and would give a speaker of 500 quid today a real run for their money for a fraction of what you're looking to spend. They don't make them like that anymore.

Reactions: Musicmann067
Have you a preference for floor standing or stand mounted speakers? At lower levels, floor standers typically sound a bit richer, but might be too bassy for your neighbours when turned up.
Try to hear the QA3050, not the newer ’i’ version, as they’re just £349. The latest Wharfedale Diamond 12.3 has had great reviews at £499, but I’ve not heard them. Mission and Cambridge also have models around £399. Bear in mind, some are quite deep as well as tall.
You might want to buy some sheet rubber and a couple of granite worktop savers - about £10 each from Wilko - to put on the floor. RS will throw in some cables if you’re lucky!

Last edited:
It is interesting to see how others see the NADs presentation, I wouldn't call it warm but you obviously do, makes auditioning all the more necessary.
Indeed. Hi-fi is far from an exact science. Having demoed a 352 with my old Arcam A65+, although very ballsy with plenty of bottom end, it lacked transparency, finesse and subtlety.... by comparison.

Having heard 355 and 370, they all share similar traits. They tend to be warm and bottom heavy, and MA RS6s work a treat.

I would avoid brands such as Q Acoustics which share similar traits of being on the smoother side. Think we all agree hi-fi is about synergy.

The OP has a number of suggestions and it's up to him to decide which is the best compromise.

Serg042

Apr 5, 2021
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the suggestions!
It looks like the guys at Richer Sounds will have a lot of headache with me because I would like to listen to as many suggested models as possible :LOL:

MickMcCarthysTache

May 26, 2021
Visit site
I would also add Monitor Audio. The older Nads work well with either Bronze or Silver. Also look at Focal.

Given Nad's fairly warm presentation I would avoid speakers with similar traits.

I recently auditioned a NAD C368 amp with some Monitor Silver 50s and also a pair of B&W 607s. The B&Ws were the ones I originally leaned towards based on reviews but after hearing both speakers I bought the Monitors. The B&Ws seemed very bright and 'light'. The Monitors were far better with the midrange (more clarity and detail) and a stronger bass. They also had a better overall 'warmth' to them. Just goes to show you can read as many reviews as you want but it doesn't beat 'listening'!

I recently auditioned a NAD C368 amp with some Monitor Silver 50s and also a pair of B&W 607s. The B&Ws were the ones I originally leaned towards based on reviews but after hearing both speakers I bought the Monitors. The B&Ws seemed very bright and 'light'. The Monitors were far better with the midrange (more clarity and detail) and a stronger bass. They also had a better overall 'warmth' to them. Just goes to show you can read as many reviews as you want but it doesn't beat 'listening'!

As I've always said: Synergy, synergy, synergy....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts