NACA5 improvement

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Yes a cable thread I know. Yes Naim talk I know. However addition of NACA5 to my system has made a difference beyond just my opinion of improved sound quality.

My system is a Naim Unitiqute 2/ Nap 100 and Sonus Faber Toy Towers. Beautiful sounding combo and a great match. I had been using Chord carnival silver screen for years with various systems without any major complaints, in fact it's a very good cable.

I came across some pre owned Nac A5 for a decent price and thought why not do the full Naim thing, at worst it'll make no difference. Well it did.

I know my system pretty well. Most notable improvements were that bass notes gained definition, and vocals which had been a touch recessed and left and right sounding moved forward centre again.

Of course these are just opinions, what is not an opinion however is that clearly an electrical difference occurred too. The Nap had a faint hum from the transformer previously. It could be heard quite clearly from about a foot or two away from the Nap. Never bothered me but it was there. After adding the Nac A5 the hum is completely gone. Ear to the casework, nothing! That was proof enough for me that cables can make a difference. Clearly there was an impact on the electrical circuit that a hifi system basically is. It's not unreasonable to assume this could have an audible impact too. I always felt cables made a difference but now I have some proof to me anyway beyond just perceived sound quality differences.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
2 Positive Threads Cables on WHF in as many days - at last all the sane people are starting to post on here. About time Excellent to hear :) Nice to have positivity for once

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ChrisIRL said:
Yes a cable thread I know. Yes Naim talk I know. However addition of NACA5 to my system has made a difference beyond just my opinion of improved sound quality.

My system is a Naim Unitiqute 2/ Nap 100 and Sonus Faber Toy Towers. Beautiful sounding combo and a great match. I had been using Chord carnival silver screen for years with various systems without any major complaints, in fact it's a very good cable.

I came across some pre owned Nac A5 for a decent price and thought why not do the full Naim thing, at worst it'll make no difference. Well it did.

I know my system pretty well. Most notable improvements were that bass notes gained definition, and vocals which had been a touch recessed and left and right sounding moved forward centre again.

Of course these are just opinions, what is not an opinion however is that clearly an electrical difference occurred too. The Nap had a faint hum from the transformer previously. It could be heard quite clearly from about a foot or two away from the Nap. Never bothered me but it was there. After adding the Nac A5 the hum is completely gone. Ear to the casework, nothing! That was proof enough for me that cables can make a difference. Clearly there was an impact on the electrical circuit that a hifi system basically is. It's not unreasonable to assume this could have an audible impact too. I always felt cables made a difference but now I have some proof to me anyway beyond just perceived sound quality differences.

You used non Naim cable with a Naim amp? Did you not know. ALso Naims do hum thats why you should put them in a cupboard
regular_smile.gif

Hope your speakers cables are 3.5m or over?

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I know! Imagine! That said had used the silver screen with a 5si previously and there was no hum or buzz. Cables are 3.5m, the previous owner knew his stuff. Newer Naim gear isn't meant to need Naca5 so who knows?

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
mm mm.I also have a bit of humm in my xs.I'll keep an eye out for some on the bay . I'm using linn k20 (aka nac a4)at the moment so electrically it should be fine but have been mulling over some nac a5 off and on for a few months now.

I've read that a4 and a5 are essentially the same so I don't know if moving to a5 will do much for you. I would try to borrow some first or least make sure you pick it up for a good price. Including funds from selling my silverscreen I only paid about £75 for two 3.5 m terminated lengths of A5. I wasn't going to be upset with any outcome.

jjbomber

BigH said:
You used non Naim cable with a Naim amp? Did you not know. ALso Naims do hum thats why you should put them in a cupboard

My local Naim dealers suggest you have the cable as short as possible. That way they will fit in the bin easier! They recommend Chord but ..... and it's a big but ...... the OP is happy and that's all that matters.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
jjbomber said:
My local Naim dealers suggest you have the cable as short as possible. That way they will fit in the bin easier!

Thats one of the better ones - funny - good skills *give_rose* <---- holding up a medal not anything else intended

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
jjbomber said:
BigH said:

My local Naim dealers suggest you have the cable as short as possible. That way they will fit in the bin easier! They recommend Chord but ..... and it's a big but ...... the OP is happy and that's all that matters.

Cheaper or more expensive than NacA5 Chord cables?

jjbomber

ChrisIRL said:
Cheaper or more expensive than NacA5 Chord cables?

We were talking about the Naim Statement and they were wondering what speaker cable Naim were going to recommend. It wasn't a test or anything like that. They started off by saying the NacA5 wasn't suitable for the Statement, then how it wasn't suitable for any Naim, and it all went downhill from there. It wasn't a proper cable discussion, we didn't discuss pound for pound cable recommendations, so it was neither cheaper nor more expensive.

My next door neighbour is from abroad, so he asked me do you say eee-ther or eye-ther. I said either.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I have used NACA5 for years but not in the context of a Naim system.

Had I to replace it with a reasonably priced cable it would be VdH CS122 Hybrid.

rainsoothe

Mark Rose-Smith said:
mm mm.I also have a bit of humm in my xs.I'll keep an eye out for some on the bay . I'm using linn k20 (aka nac a4)at the moment so electrically it should be fine but have been mulling over some nac a5 off and on for a few months now.

DNM Reson goes very well with Naim imo (I preferred it over NACA5, in my system at least.

I was using mogami 2972 but had to aquire something quick and cheap after a room rearrangement left me short on one speaker and saw the k20 for 40 quid and it's been fine really..no better,no worse than the mogami.I have read that my pmc's aren't to fussy about cable...but the xs definitely is.especially if you put some qed silver anniversary in it.ouch my ears weren't ready for that one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts