My Samsung Q950R got a fault - here’s the replacement!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
I don't want to step on your parade Gel but on other Audio Visual forums the 2020 Samsungs are seeing a lot of grief for 50hz content from Sky, not just football either. The workaround is to put it in Game mode but that of course comprises the picture somewhat. The Q80t seems to be worst affected but that could just be because Samsung sold more of those than other models. I was looking at the Q80T for my folks but after reading the forums I'm going to advocate a move to a Sony instead.

D

Deleted member 2457

What are the motion settings for the Samsung currently? Turn all artificial motion off and see if it improves things.
Samsung took control of the TV yesterday afternoon again and changed picture clarity from auto to off and I didn't notice it for the Norwich match. (y) It was really good watching it with no issues.

Reactions: bigboss
D

Deleted member 2457

Your dad sounds very useful when it comes to dealing with these companies!
Reference him getting John Lewis to cough up the full repair cost for your sister’s screen burnt LG OLED:

There’s nothing worse than judder and frame skips for football watching, so you have my sympathies.
He paid for both TVs, but yes they take more notice of an older voice.

Reactions: buzz_lightclick

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
What are the motion settings for the Samsung currently? Turn all artificial motion off and see if it improves things.

Auto motion plus being disabled does not make a difference like it did in previous Samsung models. I had all artificial settings etc off on my Q90T. The issue is present when being fed a 50hz signal and is unrelated to motion interpolation being forced on, as Netflix etc are fine.

Until Samsung fix it via a firmware update the 2020 QLED models are not fit for cable TV.

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Samsung took control of the TV yesterday afternoon again and changed picture clarity from auto to off and I didn't notice it for the Norwich match. (y) It was really good watching it with no issues.

Try tipping point and other TV shows via Sky. Even with the clarity settings off I could see issues, how often it appears varies dramatically from show to show. Sometimes it appears basically continuously - others it will just kick in for a few frames and smooth out. During the News or Talkshows in HD I would see head-shots twitch and body shots like hands look shaky. Football during the replays usually catch it out as well on the BBC broadcast.

Over on AV Forums - members would see the frame rate stop, for multiple days but it comes back.

Most people settled on game mode for cable TV in the end. If you can return the unit in exchange for the Mini LED TVs which are coming out! That would be my advice.

Reactions: Deleted member 2457
D

Deleted member 2457

Try tipping point and other TV shows via Sky. Even with the clarity settings off I could see issues, how often it appears varies dramatically from show to show. Sometimes it appears basically continuously - others it will just kick in for a few frames and smooth out. During the News or Talkshows in HD I would see head-shots twitch and body shots like hands look shaky. Football during the replays usually catch it out as well on the BBC broadcast.

Over on AV Forums - members would see the frame rate stop, for multiple days but it comes back.

Most people settled on game mode for cable TV in the end. If you can return the unit in exchange for the Mini LED TVs which are coming out! That would be my advice.
Thanks mate. (y) I watched 3 football matches last night and this morning Coronation Street and some more football, and it was perfect or pretty perfect which is all I hope I am looking for. I know what you mean though if I spot it again it will drive my crazy! So cheers for the heads-up. (y)

Reactions: Stuart.W.D
D

Deleted member 2457

I have video evidence of the stutter and judder on my Samsung 75Q950TS and today swapped TVs with my dad so my new TV is the LG 65C9 OLED! We had complained to Samsung and they said about another swap around but we couldn’t be bothered with that. Strangely it isn’t juddering and stuttering On my dad’s Sky Box! And the LG is working fine on my Sky box.

Reactions: Stuart.W.D
D

Deleted member 2457

Is that what you are using now in your setup?
What centre speaker is that? I’m looking for one of a similar size after selling my front 3 speakers!
Yes. It’s the centre speaker of the B&W XT speakers. It’s long been discontinued though.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2457

Does anyone know who my warranty is with now with and how long it is? Basically I bought the TV originally from John Lewis for £2999 with a 5 year warranty and it was the Samsung 75Q950R then after 8 months I discovered it had dirty screen effect on the football, then John Lewis referred me to Samsung who replaced it like for like with the newer model the Samsung 75Q950ts. My dad reckons it’s still with John Lewis and I have roughly 4 years left on the original 5 year warranty for £2999 which I bought the Samsung 75Q950R for.

I was thinking it was perhaps with Samsung now but thinking about it more it must still be with John Lewis, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

OuchSamsung

Mar 18, 2022
Visit site
I bought a Samsung Q900R 8K Qled TV in July 2019 for approximately £7,400. I loved the TV, but the screen failed due to a manufacturer issue and my only recourse is to pay a further £2,600 to replace the screen.

I've exchanged emails with the regional CEO and frankly, they don't care!

If you invest in a Samsung flagship TV, be prepared to throw good money after bad in order to enjoy the Samsung experience for more than 2.5 years...

D

Deleted member 197450

I bought a Samsung Q900R 8K Qled TV in July 2019 for approximately £7,400. I loved the TV, but the screen failed due to a manufacturer issue and my only recourse is to pay a further £2,600 to replace the screen.

I've exchanged emails with the regional CEO and frankly, they don't care!

If you invest in a Samsung flagship TV, be prepared to throw good money after bad in order to enjoy the Samsung experience for more than 2.5 years...
Who did you buy it from? What was the problem? How long was the warranty?

OuchSamsung

Mar 18, 2022
Visit site
Who did you buy it from? What was the problem? How long was the warranty?
Bought it in Dubai. Samsung standard warranty is 12 months, I paid approx £100 for an additional 12 month warranty to give me 2 years warranty... There is a permanent horizontal line a across the width of the screen, with what looks like two, small green vertical lines about a third of the way along the horizontal line. (Hope that the description makes sense, please see photo).

Sharing my experience in case others experience similar issues and there may be a wider problem with Samsung's 8K flagship TV'S... They're not cheap and you'd like to think you'll get more than 2.5 years of use out of something you hoped offered a degree of future proofing! In my case, my 8K TV failed years before 8K content is available!!! Lesson learned!

Attachments

• 6FDE3C71-968C-441C-8509-7CDDCFDC4CE0.png
    6FDE3C71-968C-441C-8509-7CDDCFDC4CE0.png
    453.6 KB · Views: 4

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts