My Samsung Q950R got a fault - here’s the replacement!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

Noticed any differences from your old tv?
Yes, completely different! 8K and 4K look amazing, blacks are a bit iffy, sd channels are ok. The colours are completely different to my old one. Sound can be really good or not so. I don’t mind the judder and stutter, it’s not a problem to me. Sometimes the pictures look superb others not so. No dse on the football or vertical banding, which is great news. I think it’s going to take time to get used to!

Reactions: buzz_lightclick
D

Deleted member 2457

Picture:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 14
D

Deleted member 2457

Just put the sound on amplify setting and music sounds really good. I have put the TV in intelligent mode setting now instead of standard setting and the picture quality seems to have gone a step up. I like this TV though but if you were buying outright I am not sure I would recommend. Don’t get me wrong though I think it’s the best TV for me personally currently out or the 4K model flagship from Samsung though. I am happy. :)

I can hardly find any 8K content on YouTube which is sad. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2457

More pictures:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 7
D

Deleted member 2457

It’s a pretty brilliant TV having spent more time with it. The colours and detail is where it excels compared to my old one. Blacks don’t look as black because they are not crushed anymore and they show way more detail. Sound is great better than my old one too. I don’t notice any judder or stutter either I am not even sure it suffers in the same way some 4K owners have mentioned, to me it doesn’t. There’s definitely not anything wrong with it though from what I have seen and sports look great!

More pictures:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2457

All the picture settings look awesome! I have it on filmmaker setting at the moment. Pictures:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 4
D

Deleted member 2457

Judder and stutter are an issue now for me! :( Going to call Samsung Monday and see what they say.

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear that Gel,

The stutter frame rate was awful on Sky content, especially BBC HD when watching the football it is really unacceptable for the premium price.

Samsung pretty much denied the issue over the last year. I was inside the return policy and was delighted I never had to deal with Samsung support

I hear LG are rolling out a fix for the frame rate issue on the Oled panels.. But absolutely nothing from Samsung. Best of luck Gel 🤞🏻if you get any hassle plenty of threads over on AV Forums currently discussing these issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 2457
D

Deleted member 2457

We phoned Samsung today and spoke to technical support who took control of the TV and changed some settings and got me to do a series of changes too and all seems to be solved! :D

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Brilliant news Gel, very happy it is resolved for you, over on AV Forums I am sure a lot of people would appreciate the information you received. As no fix was available last year, the work around was game mode for many users, which of course impacts on the overall picture quality.

D

Deleted member 2457

Brilliant news Gel, very happy it is resolved for you, over on AV Forums I am sure a lot of people would appreciate the information you received. As no fix was available last year, the work around was game mode for many users, which of course impacts on the overall picture quality.
It’s still there! Just watched the Chelsea vs Man Utd game from yesterday and it was doing every 30 seconds or so! Every time a camera changes view it happens. :(

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
It’s still there! Just watched the Chelsea vs Man Utd game from yesterday and it was doing every 30 seconds or so! Every time a camera changes view it happens. :(
[/QUOTE]

I had the same issues on the 4k model with the football , after every single replay the frame rate would stutter for 5 seconds then catch up. On tv interview shows people's faces and hands had this odd twitch going on with slow panning shots. It is very disappointing, especially as my daughters €400 philips in her room was superior to the Q90T for motion.

For Netflix and YouTube content the Samsung HDR performance was jaw dropping, beautiful colours, excellent black levels and best in class contrast for an led tv. Samsung need to find away to correct the stutter via a firmware update

D

Deleted member 2457

Sorry to hear that Gel, what are you going to do now? The new reviews on the QN90A indicate motion still isn't perfect, so I pulled the trigger on the LG CX Oled instead
Congrats mate! Where did you buy your OLED from?

Samsung are blaming Sky at present and I should talk to them! That’s not good that it’s on the new models too. :(

My dad has said I can have his LG 65C9 Oled and he will have my Samsung that currently looks best option.

D

Deleted member 2457

I had the same issues on the 4k model with the football , after every single replay the frame rate would stutter for 5 seconds then catch up. On tv interview shows people's faces and hands had this odd twitch going on with slow panning shots. It is very disappointing, especially as my daughters €400 philips in her room was superior to the Q90T for motion.

For Netflix and YouTube content the Samsung HDR performance was jaw dropping, beautiful colours, excellent black levels and best in class contrast for an led tv. Samsung need to find away to correct the stutter via a firmware update
[/QUOTE]
It doesn’t happen on matches like 20 years old though just recent ones!

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Congrats mate! Where did you buy your OLED from?

Samsung are blaming Sky at present and I should talk to them! That’s not good that it’s on the new models too. :(

My dad has said I can have his LG 65C9 Oled and he will have my Samsung that currently looks best option.

Awful customer care by Samsung shipping the blame onto cable TV, when I had the Q90T I hooked up my daughters 4k Philips for a comparison on Sky. No frame rate drops etc. Motion was spot on! Considering the price difference, Samsung need to sort it out via a firmware update.

I can't go to John Lewis for burn in cover as I live in the Republic of Ireland . Richer Sounds are located in Belfast only! I went with Harvey Norman as I don't rate Curry's customer service.

D

Deleted member 2457

Awful customer care by Samsung shipping the blame onto cable TV, when I had the Q90T I hooked up my daughters 4k Philips for a comparison on Sky. No frame rate drops etc. Motion was spot on! Considering the price difference, Samsung need to sort it out via a firmware update.

I can't go to John Lewis for burn in cover as I live in the Republic of Ireland . Richer Sounds are located in Belfast only! I went with Harvey Norman as I don't rate Curry's customer service.
I think I am just going to live with the Samsung and just watch football downstairs. (y)

D

Deleted member 2457

My dad is going to give Samsung a call this afternoon and ask a few questions to Samsung...

buzz_lightclick

My dad is going to give Samsung a call this afternoon and ask a few questions to Samsung...
Your dad sounds very useful when it comes to dealing with these companies!
Reference him getting John Lewis to cough up the full repair cost for your sister’s screen burnt LG OLED:

There’s nothing worse than judder and frame skips for football watching, so you have my sympathies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts