My new Cambridge Audio CXA81 mkII lacks bass. Now what?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Steinwaytune

Oct 26, 2024
Visit site
Dear friends,

After re-reading all your recommendations above I've made a final decision.

First I checked the connection of the speaker's phase and alas, they were correctly connected, so that's not it.

In the end I don't have the guts to buy a subwoofer. I'm afraid it wouldn't really fit in the system and then I have 2 expensive devices that don't give what I hoped for...

Then, I listened to a CD with Beethoven sonata's (Pathétique, Waldstein, Appasionata) that I play myself (no, not on the CD...) and I was really disappointed about what I heard.
I am the lucky owner of a Steinway O grand piano and on my old Arcam that great sound was reasonably well reproduced with tone control: Bass +2, Treble 0. No extreme settings.
But on the Cambridge the high tones were too sharp on the highest notes (hadn't mentioned that before with other CDs) and the lack of bass was intolerable. It made me really sad. Repairing that with a subwoofer couldn't solve that problem...

Some of you suggested to return to Arcam. That made me search for... an Arcam A85 like I had (that idea was mentioned above too). And I found one.

So that's it. I have decided that the Cambridge Audio CXA81 mkII and Dali Oberon 5 are no good combination for me. And I fly back to what I really loved. I can turn in the Cambridge to the (Dutch) store where I bought it and get my money back.

I am really thankful for all your comments!

It made me replace my speakers totally and that makes them produce better sounds.

I learned a lot and that made it easier to decide what to do. And whenever this new old Arcam comes to it's end, I know a lot better now what to consider when buying a new amplifier.

Cheers from The Netherlands,
Lion

Hifiman

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
Dear friends,

After re-reading all your recommendations above I've made a final decision.

First I checked the connection of the speaker's phase and alas, they were correctly connected, so that's not it.

In the end I don't have the guts to buy a subwoofer. I'm afraid it wouldn't really fit in the system and then I have 2 expensive devices that don't give what I hoped for...

Then, I listened to a CD with Beethoven sonata's (Pathétique, Waldstein, Appasionata) that I play myself (no, not on the CD...) and I was really disappointed about what I heard.
I am the lucky owner of a Steinway O grand piano and on my old Arcam that great sound was reasonably well reproduced with tone control: Bass +2, Treble 0. No extreme settings.
But on the Cambridge the high tones were too sharp on the highest notes (hadn't mentioned that before with other CDs) and the lack of bass was intolerable. It made me really sad. Repairing that with a subwoofer couldn't solve that problem...

Some of you suggested to return to Arcam. That made me search for... an Arcam A85 like I had (that idea was mentioned above too). And I found one.

So that's it. I have decided that the Cambridge Audio CXA81 mkII and Dali Oberon 5 are no good combination for me. And I fly back to what I really loved. I can turn in the Cambridge to the (Dutch) store where I bought it and get my money back.

I am really thankful for all your comments!

It made me replace my speakers totally and that makes them produce better sounds.

I learned a lot and that made it easier to decide what to do. And whenever this new old Arcam comes to it's end, I know a lot better now what to consider when buying a new amplifier.

Cheers from The Netherlands,
Lion
I see you have made your decision but am surprised no one has asked more about what is upstream of your amp (unless I missed it). Do any of your sources, such as a streamer, have built in EQ? My old speakers are a little bass-light but I am able to compensate for this, either from the streaming software or, as I usually do, by using a Mojo 2 DAC’s lossless EQ fed from an unaltered digital source.
I realise your amp already has digital inputs and so the DAC route may be less appealing but EQing before the amp by any means may be another option.

Reactions: Steinwaytune

RoA

Give the thing back and get something you actually like.

If it sounds 'too Hifi' it sounds too hifi. Ever noticed how enjoyable and musical something like a few little Sonos speakers sound?

As you like Arcam why not stick with the brand? Forget about youtube vloggers and mags/publications. They mostly serve their paymasters.

RoA

If it helps, I have an Arcam SA20. That's an old model now but the new ones will likely be better still. Class G, powerful and a full, warm bass. I also use a Cyrus ONE Cast ... same thing and an Audiolab 6000A, almost the same thing but it shines elsewhere more. All have good bass. I did have a Hegel H95 too but eventually sold that one on as it was inferior in some aspects, bass included.

Last edited:

Steinwaytune

Oct 26, 2024
Visit site
@gasolin Keeping my Dali Oberon 5's, because they are great with the Arcam A85.

@Hifiman I only've got 2 'upstreamers': Arcam CD72 (21 years old, still shining) and a Bluesound Node 2i-6F3F. Both don't have any EQ-possibilities (if I haven't overseen this in the Node).

@RoA I'll go and get my new Arcam A85 occasion tomorrow. With that, I'm back at what I had and with what I was perfectly satisfied about. With substantial, but fluently flexible basses once again. And although I know now by the Cambridge that the precision can even be better than on this Arcam, I'm sure I'll be perfectly content once more :).

@Deliriumbassist That was an unexpected idea and I immediately checked it. But no, it's a pity, it's not that. I am even surprised that the basses do not seem to get worse - it doesn't even seem to matter if I change the plugs!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts