My new Cambridge Audio CXA81 mkII lacks bass. Now what?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Steinwaytune

Oct 26, 2024
Visit site
Dear friends,

After re-reading all your recommendations above I've made a final decision.

First I checked the connection of the speaker's phase and alas, they were correctly connected, so that's not it.

In the end I don't have the guts to buy a subwoofer. I'm afraid it wouldn't really fit in the system and then I have 2 expensive devices that don't give what I hoped for...

Then, I listened to a CD with Beethoven sonata's (Pathétique, Waldstein, Appasionata) that I play myself (no, not on the CD...) and I was really disappointed about what I heard.
I am the lucky owner of a Steinway O grand piano and on my old Arcam that great sound was reasonably well reproduced with tone control: Bass +2, Treble 0. No extreme settings.
But on the Cambridge the high tones were too sharp on the highest notes (hadn't mentioned that before with other CDs) and the lack of bass was intolerable. It made me really sad. Repairing that with a subwoofer couldn't solve that problem...

Some of you suggested to return to Arcam. That made me search for... an Arcam A85 like I had (that idea was mentioned above too). And I found one.

So that's it. I have decided that the Cambridge Audio CXA81 mkII and Dali Oberon 5 are no good combination for me. And I fly back to what I really loved. I can turn in the Cambridge to the (Dutch) store where I bought it and get my money back.

I am really thankful for all your comments!

It made me replace my speakers totally and that makes them produce better sounds.

I learned a lot and that made it easier to decide what to do. And whenever this new old Arcam comes to it's end, I know a lot better now what to consider when buying a new amplifier.

Cheers from The Netherlands,
Lion

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts