My Marantz UD7007!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
gel said:
bigboss said:
gel said:
ellisdj said:
Gel you happy with the player mate?

Have you tried it for cds - its bloody good at that too

I like it and I think it is very good, but I don't think it is for me unfortunately. Just not getting any benefit from it.

You mean you're returning the player?

Yep. I just haven't taken to it. Not saying it is not good but it is a lot of money not to be 100 per cent happy with.

Hmmm.....I agree that you should see a significant improvement over your 2 Pioneers with that amount of money.

Maybe worth trying Denon 1713UD / Marantz UD5007. The Denon is being sold at an attractive price.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
bigboss said:
gel said:
ellisdj said:
Gel you happy with the player mate?

Have you tried it for cds - its bloody good at that too

I like it and I think it is very good, but I don't think it is for me unfortunately. Just not getting any benefit from it.

You mean you're returning the player?

Yep. I just haven't taken to it. Not saying it is not good but it is a lot of money not to be 100 per cent happy with.

Hmmm.....I agree that you should see a significant improvement over your 2 Pioneers with that amount of money. Maybe worth trying Denon 1713UD / Marantz UD5007. The Denon is being sold at an attractive price.

I arranged today with David at Frank Harvey to order the Oppo 103!
smiley-smile.gif
I prefer my Pioneer to the Marantz!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I Honestly dont get that Gel.... I have had that Pioner LX71 and while its ok the Marantz is miles better.

I know you probably still run inteliigent frame on blu ray which to me is a cardinal sin - try turning that off.

Did you set it up properly - did you input your screen size etc, that might only be for 3D?

Also did you update the players firmware - mine has updated several times since I bought it

I would also try a different hdmi output from the player mate - dont bother with the dual hdmi output just run one.

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
I Honestly dont get that Gel.... I have had that Pioner LX71 and while its ok the Marantz is miles better.

I know you probably still run inteliigent frame on blu ray which to me is a cardinal sin - try turning that off.

Did you set it up properly - did you input your screen size etc, that might only be for 3D?

I see the benefits of the Marantz and dont get me wrong it is good but it is not my style. Just not taken to it. Just unplugged it and now listening to my Pioneer again.
smiley-smile.gif
The pictures were definitely not as good as yours calibrated for sure. To be honest I do prefer the Pioneer. I think the Marantz might have more depth and detail but I didn't take to it. It had to be perfect for me for the money but couldnt get that out of it, so arranged today to send it back.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Obviously it's up to you buddy but I don't see where you can fault the player
It's fast - delivers on picture and sound with no movement issues. The lx71 is big and bold sounding but is rough with it by comparison.

They are only my experiences - you plasma is not calibrated mate so that's why your not getting the benefit.

What did you not get on with you only had a day?

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Run mine into a 60inch Kuro and absolutely faultless BluRay picture. Superb colour balance, detail and motion. Now signed up to netflix and am watching Breaking Bad streamed in HD + 5.1. Excellent and much better than ATV streaming - even youtube upscaled is sometimes watchable. Chord silver HDMI to Kuro, Forrest Green to SR7007, both cat6 ethernet wired. Agree SACD and BLuRAY music also superb. Dont know whats not to like about the UD7007.

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
Obviously it's up to you buddy but I don't see where you can fault the player It's fast - delivers on picture and sound with no movement issues. The lx71 is big and bold sounding but is rough with it by comparison. They are only my experiences - you plasma is not calibrated mate so that's why your not getting the benefit. What did you not get on with you only had a day?

I played my Mysterious Cities of Gold DVDs and the picture was excellent but it played them in 4:3 which I didn't like! It does not do that on my Pioneer. The colours I think are more distinct slightly on the Pioneer, and I think the sound is louder on my Pioneer on bitstream and has more kick to it. Most people would probably love the Marantz but it is still a lot of money. The weight is quite heavy for my stand too and just could not justify it.

D

Deleted member 2457

emperor's new clothes said:
Run mine into a 60inch Kuro and absolutely faultless BluRay picture. Superb colour balance, detail and motion. Now signed up to netflix and am watching Breaking Bad streamed in HD + 5.1. Excellent and much better than ATV streaming - even youtube upscaled is sometimes watchable. Chord silver HDMI to Kuro, Forrest Green to SR7007, both cat6 ethernet wired. Agree SACD and BLuRAY music also superb. Dont know whats not to like about the UD7007.

Yep, I could not fault it, just didn't take to it as such.

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Alright Gel

Not saying I am glad you are sending back the marantz but I think you did the right thing, £300 more for a player that operates better seems over the top, AND you your self said that pioneer was very good even after sending it back, you even stated that the oppo was a highly recomended player, so I was supprised you went for the marantz, do you think its worth giving the pioneer another go, even try the BDP-450 it will do exactly the same as the LX-55 but the build quality is not as good, BUT does that matter when at the end of the day its the film you really want to enjoy, and will probably be tucked away in a unit, But I do get why you want the best that a player can offer, but its wheather you think paying a fair bit more for quite play back build quality is worth the extra out lay, plus the upscaling and multi-channel out put play back, it seems you were happy with pioneer, so why not give it another wizz, or if any of the above means some thing to you it would have to be the oppo .....wouldnt it..... 8)

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Most people would probably love the Marantz but it is still a lot of money. The weight is quite heavy for my stand too and just could not justify it.

I can't believe that the Marantz is any heavier than my 10kg Denon BDP-4010 UD player, which sits next to my 19.1kg Denon AVR-4810 receiver on the middle shelf of an identical Optimum AV300 stand as yours ...... By the way, Denon and Marantz have the same parent company, I believe.

D

Deleted member 2457

pioneer7 said:
Alright Gel

Not saying I am glad you are sending back the marantz but I think you did the right thing, £300 more for a player that operates better seems over the top, AND you your self said that pioneer was very good even after sending it back, you even stated that the oppo was a highly recomended player, so I was supprised you went for the marantz, do you think its worth giving the pioneer another go, even try the BDP-450 it will do exactly the same as the LX-55 but the build quality is not as good, BUT does that matter when at the end of the day its the film you really want to enjoy, and will probably be tucked away in a unit, But I do get why you want the best that a player can offer, but its wheather you think paying a fair bit more for quite play back build quality is worth the extra out lay, plus the upscaling and multi-channel out put play back, it seems you were happy with pioneer, so why not give it another wizz, or if any of the above means some thing to you it would have to be the oppo .....wouldnt it..... 8)

Yep, I did consider the Pioneer 450 or another 55 but the reference badge for the Oppo on AVForums swung it a bit. Yep, as such I could not justify the Marantz and was not 100 per cent happy with it. I got on better with the Pioneer 55. Problem with the Pioneer is that it freezes when loading a disc, then you have to turn the mains off and on to get it working again. This all took time and became very frustrating! Still like the Pioneer though.

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
Most people would probably love the Marantz but it is still a lot of money. The weight is quite heavy for my stand too and just could not justify it.

I can't believe that the Marantz is any heavier than my 10kg Denon BDP-4010 UD player, which sits next to my 19.1kg Denon AVR-4810 receiver on the middle shelf of an identical Optimum AV300 stand as yours ...... By the way, Denon and Marantz have the same parent company, I believe.

The Marantz was 6.5kg. Contacted Optimum today and they said about the AV300 stand Max weight load 75kg and 50kg per shelf. I am up to about 71kg if I were to purchase the Panasonic 50VT65.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I think weight is a good sign - solid construction - I beleive these small difference are what make the difference.

Others quality power supply etc. I still cant beleive you didnt like it and have backed it.... I dont think there will be a player that will get much better, maybe a miniscule better.

As for the Lx55 -- its decent again but its suffers movement issues and blurred motion by comparison to the UD7007. I also dont think the sound is anywhere near as good - but again thats just me with my setup

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
I think weight is a good sign - solid construction - I beleive these small difference are what make the difference.

Others quality power supply etc. I still cant beleive you didnt like it and have backed it.... I dont think there will be a player that will get much better, maybe a miniscule better.

As for the Lx55 -- its decent again but its suffers movement issues and blurred motion by comparison to the UD7007. I also dont think the sound is anywhere near as good - but again thats just me with my setup

I found the 55 Pioneer and the Marantz mostly identical. The sound on the Marantz I found I had to turn my volume up more. It was a clean sound.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
ellisdj said:
Obviously it's up to you buddy but I don't see where you can fault the player It's fast - delivers on picture and sound with no movement issues. The lx71 is big and bold sounding but is rough with it by comparison. They are only my experiences - you plasma is not calibrated mate so that's why your not getting the benefit. What did you not get on with you only had a day?

I played my Mysterious Cities of Gold DVDs and the picture was excellent but it played them in 4:3 which I didn't like!

You mean it's playing it in the correct aspect ratio? I can't believe you've bought a 700 quid blu-ray player and you're sending it back because of how it plays a 30 year old cartoon on DVD!

Actually scratch that, it's you, I can believe that quite easily.

I don't know why you bothered Gel, you've been saying for years that nothing can possibly be better than your LX-71, you're clearly so firmly convinced of that nothing will change your mind. Still at least you didn't go and buy any expensive cables for it...

It does not do that on my Pioneer.

I expect it would if you told it to.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The Lx55 is simialr to the Ud7007 - it punches above its price tag for picture.

But the movement is not there and that whats makes the difference ultimately to what you see.

In a still frame they would look similar - moving side by side I think the difference would be very clear.

In terms of sound - if there is distortion being added to the sound then it will appear louder and as if there is more there - this is especially true for bass.

So it may appear there is sound missing - but I dont think that is the case at all with the 7007 - is the cleanest, clearest sound I have heard yet from a blu ray player - but its not lacking anything - its gets down when its supposed to

D

Deleted member 2457

The_Lhc said:
gel said:
ellisdj said:

I played my Mysterious Cities of Gold DVDs and the picture was excellent but it played them in 4:3 which I didn't like!

You mean it's playing it in the correct aspect ratio? I can't believe you've bought a 700 quid blu-ray player and you're sending it back because of how it plays a 30 year old cartoon on DVD!

Actually scratch that, it's you, I can believe that quite easily.

I don't know why you bothered Gel, you've been saying for years that nothing can possibly be better than your LX-71, you're clearly so firmly convinced of that nothing will change your mind. Still at least you didn't go and buy any expensive cables for it...

It does not do that on my Pioneer.

I expect it would if you told it to.

smiley-laughing.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
The Lx55 is simialr to the Ud7007 - it punches above its price tag for picture.

But the movement is not there and that whats makes the difference ultimately to what you see.

In a still frame they would look similar - moving side by side I think the difference would be very clear.

In terms of sound - if there is distortion being added to the sound then it will appear louder and as if there is more there - this is especially true for bass.

So it may appear there is sound missing - but I dont think that is the case at all with the 7007 - is the cleanest, clearest sound I have heard yet from a blu ray player - but its not lacking anything - its gets down when its supposed to

I think Blu-ray players are very subjective.

Whatever the reasons maybe, I think the bottom line is that gel was expecting a large jump in quality for the money he paid, and he was disappointed at not getting that. I don't see much point in arguing with him to reconsider it. If I we're in gel's place planning on buying a 50-55 inch VT65, I would be careful with my finances as well.

Personally, I would see a much greater jump in performance by going for the Denon 1713UD or even a Panasonic BDT230/330 and spending the extra money on a calibrated 55-inch VT65, as compared to the Marantz UD7007 with a 50-inch uncalibrated VT65/GT50.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Whatever the reasons maybe, I think the bottom line is that gel was expecting a large jump in quality for the money he paid, and he was disappointed at not getting that. I don't see much point in arguing with him to reconsider it. If I we're in gel's place planning on buying a 50-55 inch VT65, I would be careful with my finances as well.

Personally, I would see a much greater jump in performance by going for the Denon 1713UD or even a Panasonic BDT230/330 and spending the extra money on a calibrated 55-inch VT65, as compared to the Marantz UD7007 with a 50-inch uncalibrated VT65/GT50.

Yep, agreed for sure. The jump was not there, it did look the part though.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
The Marantz was 6.5kg. Contacted Optimum today and they said about the AV300 stand Max weight load 75kg and 50kg per shelf. I am up to about 71kg if I were to purchase the Panasonic 50VT65.

50kg per shelf I can accept as reasonable. 75kg maximum is just plain wrong. I have about 20kg on the bottom shelf, at least 30kg on the middle shelf and at least 50kg on the top shelf (having just checked the weight of my centre speaker!), making 100kg in all. However, for total weights above about 80kg it is probably NOT advisable to have castor wheels on the lowest legs of the stand.

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Big Boss

The Denon 1713UD what sort of improvement are you saying would be better than the other players, I have heard good things about this model but never really gave it much thought, I thought Blu-ray play back is pretty much the same as others, and the audio can vary [from other owners] or are you saying the upscaling etc is better than the pricier models, just interested really on your thoughts.... 8)

Also the calibration move would be a good one, as stated for £200-£250 you would see an improvement, which sounds like what you are after Gel.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:

Wey-hey, bigboss may have become a convert to calibration of TVs. So that will make, er, let's see, counting up to .... ONE thing that he and ellisdj will agree about!! :grin:

pioneer7 said:
Big Boss

The Denon 1713UD what sort of improvement are you saying would be better than the other players, I have heard good things about this model but never really gave it much thought, I thought Blu-ray play back is pretty much the same as others, and the audio can vary [from other owners] or are you saying the upscaling etc is better than the pricier models, just interested really on your thoughts.... 8)

In my experience, I found blu ray video performance to be the same in players across the price range. The Denon, along with Oppo, Cambridge Audio & Marantz are better at upscaling DVDs, & 1713UD is the cheapest of the lot. Besides, it has a metal chassis & is well built.

As for audio, I'm quite happy with my Yamaha to do the job, so I'm really looking for a blu ray transport, which the 1713UD is.

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:

50kg per shelf I can accept as reasonable. 75kg maximum is just plain wrong. I have about 20kg on the bottom shelf, at least 30kg on the middle shelf and at least 50kg on the top shelf (having just checked the weight of my centre speaker!), making 100kg in all. However, for total weights above about 80kg it is probably NOT advisable to have castor wheels on the lowest legs of the stand.

I get told different things each time I contact Optimum!
smiley-smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts