My Marantz UD7007!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Son_of_SJ said:
bigboss said:
Personally, I would see a much greater jump in performance by going for the Denon 1713UD or even a Panasonic BDT230/330 and spending the extra money on a calibrated 55-inch VT65, as compared to the Marantz UD7007 with a 50-inch uncalibrated VT65/GT50.

Wey-hey, bigboss may have become a convert to calibration of TVs. So that will make, er, let's see, counting up to .... ONE thing that he and ellisdj will agree about!! :grin:

I never doubted the benefits of calibration. When I bought my Kuro, I thought the settings done by the installer was calibration. When I read about what calibration really is, it was already a year or so down the line. My wife was happy with the TV, so didn't bother with calibrating as I had other priorities. I will almost certainly be buying a new TV early next year, so there's no point in calibrating my Kuro now. Besides, I'm careful with my finances as have to collect enough deposit for a new house. :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Not arguing against his experiences just stating my own - it its not better to him thats all that matters.

But there are a lot of other factors in play when people own kit - the setup, the room, the rest of the kit etc etc.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Well, my name not being Optimum, I tell you the same thing each time. The wieght borne by one shelf doesn't affect the maximum weight that another shelf can carry, so I think the 50kg limit per shelf is the only one to worry about. About the total weight - well, you're not going to disassemble your stand just to check, but I'm positive that you could have the weight of two men on any of the rods, with the rod in a vertical position. (By the way, if I do get the Panasonic 65VT65 at some point, replacing the 64" Samsung, that will increase the weight on my top shelf to about 62kg, and I might just check my home insurance first ....)

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
I will almost certainly be buying a new TV early next year, so there's no point in calibrating my Kuro now.

There certainly would be a point in calibrating the your excellent Kuro 500a if you intend to keep it after you buy the new telly.

bigboss said:
Besides, I'm careful with my finances as have to collect enough deposit for a new house. :)

Wow, I'm struggling with the concept of a doctor having to be careful with money. Try being a doley! :help:

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
n my experience, I found blu ray video performance to be the same in players across the price range. The Denon, along with Oppo, Cambridge Audio & Marantz are better at upscaling DVDs, & 1713UD is the cheapest of the lot. Besides, it has a metal chassis & is well built.

As for audio, I'm quite happy with my Yamaha to do the job, so I'm really looking for a blu ray transport, which the 1713UD is.

Ok thats fair enough, good point...so do you think you may get the denon at some point over your pany you have now, and if so you would be happy that you would be getting an improvement over your panny, I ask this as you have been very happy with it... 8)

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Gel, am I correct in thinking that you now have more Blu-Ray players than televisions, that you will keep your Pioneer LX71 as well as the new Oppo 103? There was I thinking that I was doing well, having one Blu-Ray player per television. You now have two Blu-Ray players per one television, and you put me to shame!

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
pioneer7 said:
Big Boss

The Denon 1713UD what sort of improvement are you saying would be better than the other players, I have heard good things about this model but never really gave it much thought, I thought Blu-ray play back is pretty much the same as others, and the audio can vary [from other owners] or are you saying the upscaling etc is better than the pricier models, just interested really on your thoughts.... 8)

In my experience, I found blu ray video performance to be the same in players across the price range. The Denon, along with Oppo, Cambridge Audio & Marantz are better at upscaling DVDs, & 1713UD is the cheapest of the lot. Besides, it has a metal chassis & is well built.

As for audio, I'm quite happy with my Yamaha to do the job, so I'm really looking for a blu ray transport, which the 1713UD is.

Just seen the denon for £279.00 that seems pretty decent price, but not sure what the going rate is, the quality also seems better than pioneer LX55 for a few quid more, might be worth a look at some point in the flesh... 8)

pioneer7 said:
Ok thats fair enough, good point...so do you think you may get the denon at some point over your pany you have now, and if so you would be happy that you would be getting an improvement over your panny, I ask this as you have been very happy with it... 8)

The only reason for me to upgrade my Panny would be 3D capability. :)

Son_of_SJ said:
Gel, am I correct in thinking that you now have more Blu-Ray players than televisions, that you will keep your Pioneer LX71 as well as the new Oppo 103? There was I thinking that I was doing well, having one Blu-Ray player per television. You now have two Blu-Ray players per one television, and you put me to shame!

I think he's got a Sony TV as well.

Son_of_SJ said:
bigboss said:
I will almost certainly be buying a new TV early next year, so there's no point in calibrating my Kuro now.

There certainly would be a point in calibrating the your excellent Kuro 500a if you intend to keep it after you buy the new telly.

bigboss said:
Besides, I'm careful with my finances as have to collect enough deposit for a new house. :)

Wow, I'm struggling with the concept of a doctor having to be careful with money. Try being a doley! :help:

Contrary to popular perception, only GPs earn more. Hospital doctors have to contend with more work & relatively less pay. :)

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:

I have lots of TVs!
smiley-smile.gif
My Panasonic, a Sony 46hx803 and a Sony 40lx903. If I buy the Panasonic 50vt65 I will have one spare one!

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
pioneer7 said:

Have you had the chance to watch 3D in the home envoirment at all... 8)

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
pioneer7 said:

Good thing about the Oppo is that it's 4K too!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
pioneer7 said:

You will be quite surprised at the other benefits you can get from new sets - and I dont mean smart features ;)

ellisdj said:
bigboss said:
pioneer7 said:

You will be quite surprised at the other benefits you can get from new sets - and I dont mean smart features ;)

Of course..... that would be a bonus! :)

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Just out of interest as far as Blu-ray players go is all 3D playback pretty much the same, what I mean by that is its excepted by most that Blu-rays play back should be identical via HDMI so does this apply to 3d even though it is still a Blu-ray, I assume the player has to procees the 3D image, so there must be some thing going on in the player, it seems that Tvs have varying 3D quality from poor to brilliant, just interested if the player has any influence.... 8)

gel said:
bigboss said:
pioneer7 said:

Good thing about the Oppo is that it's 4K too!

I'm still not certain about the usefulness of 4K blu ray player. The 4K TV will upscale itself, & current blu ray players cannot play native 4K content, even if they have 4K upscaling capability. A 4K capable AV receiver is more useful to allow connection of 4K media players.

pioneer7 said:
Just out of interest as far as Blu-ray players go is all 3D playback pretty much the same, what I mean by that is its excepted by most that Blu-rays play back should be identical via HDMI so does this apply to 3d even though it is still a Blu-ray, I assume the player has to procees the 3D image, so there must be some thing going on in the player, it seems that Tvs have varying 3D quality from poor to brilliant, just interested if the player has any influence.... 8)

I haven't checked 3D myself, so can't comment. According to AV forums reviews, even 3D should be identical amongst players.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
I have lots of TVs!
smiley-smile.gif
My Panasonic, a Sony 46hx803 and a Sony 40lx903. If I buy the Panasonic 50vt65 I will have one spare one!

With all the money that you will get from your refund of the Marantz Blu-Ray player, you will be able to afford the 55VT65, not the 50VT65. Go bigger!

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
I have lots of TVs!
smiley-smile.gif

With all the money that you will get from your refund of the Marantz Blu-Ray player, you will be able to afford the 55VT65, not the 50VT65. Go bigger!

Very tempting.
smiley-smile.gif

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
50" pannys are always the problematic ones - get the 55 its better and you will most likely not want to return it 24 hours later because you didn't take to it ....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts