My local Richer Sounds has burned down!

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
My very best wishes go to my local Richer Sounds staff in Exeter and all the residents who had to be evacuated and have lost their homes.. Their shop suffered a major fire yesterday and the place has been gutted.

I've been a regular customer of theirs for 12 years and have valued their consistently excellent customer service. Nothing is too much trouble for them. They're friendly and knowlegeable - the experience is so much better than many other stores. I do hope that Richer Sounds will be able to care for their staff in the short term and I obviously hope their presence will return to Exeter in due course.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Leeps said:
My very best wishes go to my local Richer Sounds staff in Exeter and all the residents who had to be evacuated and have lost their homes.. Their shop suffered a major fire yesterday and the place has been gutted.

Wow, sounds like a huge fire – good to hear everyone seems to be safe:

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/richer-sounds-and-city-council-accommodate-those-worst-affected-by-exeter-fire/story-29560843-detail/story.html

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/how-river-exe-and-a-giant-hose-is-helping-richer-sounds-fire/story-29560752-detail/story.html

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I would think the Fire Services did a pretty good job at containing the fire as the shop was adjoined to a large block of student accommodation one side (at a guess 800-1000 students) and additional period buildings the other side.

The roads very nearby were still cordoned off this evening. Certainly glad to hear the residents above are ok, although it goes without saying that they've lost pretty much everything.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
My parents used to to live in Bishopsteignton (halfway between Newton Abbot and Teignmouth up on the hill on the right as you head towards Teignmouth) while I was at University in the mid-late 80s. One of my Great Uncles was the Chief Engineer for the Teignmouth - Shaldon Bridge. We used to race across that at 10-30 at night because the Teignmouth pubs used to shut at 10-30 but the Shaldon ones (which came under Torquay Magistrates not Netwon Abbot or Exeter or wherever) were allowed to stay open until 11.00.

Hope Exeter survived. It's a lovely city.

Plymouth, on the other hand....

nopiano said:
That's shocking. I echo the wishes above.

I used the Plymouth branch when we had a home there, and they were very good. Tim especially.

Best wishes to all affected.

I concur, sad news and agree about the Plymouth branch to. Used it a lot, and you can forget the usual remarks that RicherSound staff are useless.

Richer Sounds

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Dear all,

I saw your comments on this thread and wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for your kind words.

We’re extremely thankful that no one was seriously injured during the incident, as we all know possessions are replaceable whilst people are not.

Responses from the Fire Brigade and Police were fantastic and we’re grateful to the 50+ officers who helped to contain the fire and offered advice on how best to minimise damage.

Please be assured that our colleagues will be looked after and will suffer no wage loss, we’re now committed to getting the shop trading as soon as it is safe and practical to do so.

On a lighter note our Telesales department will be able to offer Exeter customers free delivery of items and our Plymouth and Bristol branches look forward to seeing those customers that are willing to make the journey!

Many Thanks

John Clayton

Operations Director

Richer Sounds

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Richer Sounds said:
Dear all,

I saw your comments on this thread and wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for your kind words.

We’re extremely thankful that no one was seriously injured during the incident, as we all know possessions are replaceable whilst people are not.

Responses from the Fire Brigade and Police were fantastic and we’re grateful to the 50+ officers who helped to contain the fire and offered advice on how best to minimise damage.

Please be assured that our colleagues will be looked after and will suffer no wage loss, we’re now committed to getting the shop trading as soon as it is safe and practical to do so.

On a lighter note our Telesales department will be able to offer Exeter customers free delivery of items and our Plymouth and Bristol branches look forward to seeing those customers that are willing to make the journey!

Many Thanks

John Clayton

Operations Director

Richer Sounds

Your comments are appreciated John and I'm really pleased the Exeter staff will be looked after. All credit to you. I wish the team well and look forward to them being back up and running in time.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I've been a huge RS fan since the early 90s when I bought my NAD 3020i from them (plus more) about a year later they had Cambridge Audio A1 on offer which I thought was a better amp, I took my NAD to the (old) Bristol store and asked what they would give me in px against the A1, the sales guy replied "I'll do a straight swap if you like, but you'll be bringing it back tomorrow, your NAD'S a far better amp"
That honesty made me a lifelong customer and I hope the Exeter store is back up and running soon.

dazza987

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
From what I have heard the building itself is very unstable and they will probably have to move location if they want to open any time in the near future, I hope Exeter doesn't lose another shop especially as one good as this, spent many a weekend in there

Roger_A

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure that RS will do their best to look after staff - they have a good reputation and they'll need to plan how to reopen the store either on the same site or elsewhere in Exeter whether on a temporary or permanent basis.

Ironically we were thinking of visiting Exeter tomorrow and, among other things, popping into the RS store as it is bigger than the store in Plymouth and should have more 4k televisions on display. Hope they get it sorted quickly.

Roger

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Great Response from RS, I'm sure there are lots of businesses out there not as staff focussed.

it seems we all have our RS stories. My first ever pair of proper speakers came from the Newcastle branch around the same time as Prodigy released Fat of The Land. They were JPW mini monitor, and they were awesome.... Especially when the £39.99 price was considered.

My son now has a pair sourced from the bay for 99p

Good luck to all concerned, I'm sure it'll be back up and running in no time!

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Gaz37 said:
I've been a huge RS fan since the early 90s when I bought my NAD 3020i from them (plus more) about a year later they had Cambridge Audio A1 on offer which I thought was a better amp, I took my NAD to the (old) Bristol store and asked what they would give me in px against the A1, the sales guy replied "I'll do a straight swap if you like, but you'll be bringing it back tomorrow, your NAD'S a far better amp" That honesty made me a lifelong customer and I hope the Exeter store is back up and running soon.

Had a similar experience not too long ago. I went there with the intention of purchasing a particular product, but instead of just selling the box to me, the member of staff asked a bit about my system and how I intended to use it.

He actually discouraged me from buying it because he didn't think it was the right solution for me, and explained why. It's that consistent feeling that an enthusiast is giving you the right advice, rather than just selling you a box (which so many other stores are perfectly happy to do) that goes a long way to generate customer loyalty, and of course repeat business.

I've ended up buying almost all of my electronics there over the years, although up to now had bought most of my speakers elsewhere because they didn't have the ranges I was interested in, although funnily enough some of those lines (like MA Radius and Silver) have subsequently become available there.

D

Deleted member 2457

Good to hear that everything is going to be okay.
heart.gif

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I remember when the Bristol Richer Sounds was a tiny shop on the corner of Cotham Hill/Hampton Park, with various blank casettes piled up in one window, and a stack of second-hand separates in the other. I think my first purchase from there was a second-hand Sony TC-FX3 and a pack of TDK C90s...

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Waxy said:
I remember when the Bristol Richer Sounds was a tiny shop on the corner of Cotham Hill/Hampton Park, with various blank casettes piled up in one window, and a stack of second-hand separates in the other. I think my first purchase from there was a second-hand Sony TC-FX3 and a pack of TDK C90s...

That's the one.

I actually preferred the old shop to the new one.

Shame RS stopped doing PX and used equipment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts