My Home Cinema Setup in Lounge

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

This might sound silly how do you sign in I have not got a google account.

D

Deleted member 2457

I will do flickr how do you sign in.
emotion-1.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

I have uploaded the photo and highlighted the URL now what?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

Nice one bigboss, I don't think I could of done it with out you.

D

Deleted member 2457

Nice one it's not as big as your picture's, I think I need a rest now.

grazzamongrel

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I love the set up Big Boss very very nice, i am sitting here the same colour as the lights on your TV - very green with envy dude. More details on the lights would be great, and also what does the AW12 perform like with the MA speaker set up as i am in process of buying R270HD fronts R225HD centre and R180HD rears with a Yamaha RXV2065 and Pioneer BDPLX52. I was torn between the BK XXLS400 and the AW12 but went for same as speakers to keep it all looking nice. And to top it TV is a Pioneer PDPLX5090 - nice

Graham

grazzamongrel:

I love the set up Big Boss very very nice, i am sitting here the same colour as the lights on your TV - very green with envy dude. More details on the lights would be great, and also what does the AW12 perform like with the MA speaker set up as i am in process of buying R270HD fronts R225HD centre and R180HD rears with a Yamaha RXV2065 and Pioneer BDPLX52. I was torn between the BK XXLS400 and the AW12 but went for same as speakers to keep it all looking nice. And to top it TV is a Pioneer PDPLX5090 - nice

Graham

Thanks for your kind words Graham!

The lights are from Ikea. I've stuck them to the back of the TV.

The AW12 is absolutely superb! It really complements the Radius HD speakers well. You've got a top notch system yourself there!
emotion-21.gif
I don't know how the BK sub is, although have heard positive reviews about it.

grazzamongrel

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Have you seen the YouTube vids of the ikea dioders linked to an xbox and some chip or something that recreates the Phillips Ambilight experience?
emotion-7.gif

And i have finally got my system set up and it does sound very good although still searching the forums for "tweaking" advice on speaker settings so any advice or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated peeps.
emotion-2.gif

bigboss dude, where did you get the furniture made that houses the amp, tv, speakers? was it custom built or just standard stuff that you have adapted yourself to house the kit?
emotion-1.gif

and if i could figure out how to do it i will post pics of my bootiful setup !
Documents.jpg

Yes, I saw the youtube video after you pointed it to me! No idea how they managed that.....

To be honest, your speaker settings is really dependent on your room size, dimensions & your receiver. My settings will not really be of much help to you.

The furniture is custom made by Neville Johnson around the fireplace.

This is the pic before the furniture was made (and after reducing the height of the fireplace mantle):

IMG00008-20090607-1948.jpg

I've helped gel to upload pics (see the previous page).

grazzamongrel

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering whether anybody had any thoughts about the monitor audio range as i feel i undershot a bit by buying the Radius HD range cos money was never a factor, i just wanting the best speakers straight off even if i had to pay a few more hundred pounds for them. I am refering to the Bronze and Silver range of monitor audio speakers, although some dont have the same pleasing look as the HD range i see alot more people have the BR range with their systems, so are they any good? i.e better than the Radius range?
emotion-43.gif

And can i mix and match cos i was wanting to add the BRFX or RXFX as my surround rears to complete my 7.1 system, as you can see below i currently have the R270HD x 2, R225HD and R180HD x 2 set up. I love the look of the FX speakers so any advice or feelings on the matter would be appreciated. My room measures aprox 4m x 4.5m so is it worth the extra pennies for the 7.1?
emotion-18.gif

And Big Boss with your AW12 how have you got the settings on it, i.e crossover on rear and what positions are the switches in and also (finally) where is connected at rear of your receiver? Just to check i have it all as it should be, and do you have the 12V trigger bit connected?

Also do you know if the mains filter cables/blocks you can get make a difference. I am thinking of investing in a Lindy 6 way mains filter but was wondering if i would also need a mains filtering cable from the block to the equipment or if the actual 6 way mains block would make all the difference while still using the cables supplied with my receiver/tv etc

Sorry I was in London for a few days last week & then was working this weekend.

Frequency 80hz, phase on 0, gain (or the volume knob) at around 11 o' clock position. The low pass filter is set to "in". The 12V trigger bit is not connected.

I can't remember where exactly is it connected to my receiver & the connections are so tightly packed in the cabinet that I'll have to disconnect everything to take my receiver out to check the connections & reconnect them, which will be an arduous task.

I don't believe mains conditioner makes any perceptible difference unless you're getting a lot of RF interference. I have connected all my equipment to a couple of Belkin surge protectors. Mains filtering cables are a waste of money in my opinion.

dangalf

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi bigboss

Wow seeing the room before and after really brings home what a great job you've done!

i really like the way everything's tucked away neatly but just wanted to ask a question - does putting the speakers inside cabinets affect sound quality in any way? (i'm thinking compared to floorstanders)

i know there's probably lots of variables (what the cabinets are made of, height of speaker etc) but just wondering what your own experience is

thanks

Thanks dangalf. The original plan was to attach the speakers to the back of the speaker cabinet but it sounded horrible. So I placed the speakers standing towards the front of the cabinet. And the cabinet cover has an acoustic cloth which doesn't affect performance.

grazzamongrel

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
bigboss:

Sorry I was in London for a few days last week & then was working this weekend.

Frequency 80hz, phase on 0, gain (or the volume knob) at around 11 o' clock position. The low pass filter is set to "in". The 12V trigger bit is not connected.

I can't remember where exactly is it connected to my receiver & the connections are so tightly packed in the cabinet that I'll have to disconnect everything to take my receiver out to check the connections & reconnect them, which will be an arduous task.

I don't believe mains conditioner makes any perceptible difference unless you're getting a lot of RF interference. I have connected all my equipment to a couple of Belkin surge protectors. Mains filtering cables are a waste of money in my opinion.

You say the Low Pass Filter to "in" i was advised to have this set to "out" to let the amp do its bit and have the crossover set to max 120Hz, i love the punchy bass in films and want the best settings for this and also i tend to have my Gain set to max aswell, is this wrong then? And which setting is best for in your face bass?

Just have a play around & see what sounds best for you. Just make sure to switch your subwoofer off while making the changes. I did get the suggestion to set my subwoofer to the settings you've mentioned, but I haven't really tried it. Maybe I'll give it a go this weekend. Although I'm not sure about setting the gain to max, try setting it around midway. How does your sub perform with your settings?

grazzamongrel

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
i am still in the messing with settings phase of owning an amp since i have never had one before, and i must say i tried your suggestions with sub settings and when watching Ice Age 2 with the kids today i was very suprised by the bass response - good enough to make it effective but not too overpowering, so maybe i was just expecting too much from this system. I still think i undershot by getting the radius range maybe should have investigated further and seen the bronze range which looks kick ass and i bet sounds kick ass too!! also still considering selling my 2065 and getting the 3900 yamaha for the extra tweaks on the speaker front i.e changing individual crossover settings per speaker. Or maybe i will give the wallet a chance to rest and recharge since my original budget of £1000 to purchase a home cinema has rocketed to over £3000 spent so far!!

There's no end when you catch the upgraditis bug!! Yamaha 3900 is a superb receiver, but I think you should allow your 2065 to run in first, & then decide if you want to change it.

I'm quite happy with my system. I don't think I'll upgrade it for a few years. Even I had over shot my budget my 50%!

A

Anonymous

Hey BigBoss, Nice system you have their. The joinery looks top notch, it makes a huge difference to have build in furniture. You've done a cracker job mate! My TV cabniet is to narrow for my centre speaker. I was thinking of wall mounting it above the plasma. How do you find that works for your system? Have you listened to it positioned under the display?

Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a buttkicker? My guess it shakes the seating, but is it some sort of monoblock amp for the sub also?

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts