My home cinema pics

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
....and breath.

You've done it. All finished. It all looks great BB, nice and inviting and comfortable too. Glad it's all come together without an major headaches and only a few small ones.

I do still wonder though being right at the back of the room with most of the speakers around you and I didn't realise the Atmos speakers were going to be be along the wall. That you are missing out on the "Room" working with the set up.

I guess the pictures give the impression you are miles away from the fronts and right on top of the SRB's

Still it must all be working as you seem very pleased with it all. Thanks for sharing the whole process with us and finally the finished product. Great work.

GP

his atmos speakers are in the ceiling. Have a look at his other new post, you should see them :)

The projector is eminently watchable in daytime with curtains open!

15913995604_5a89927d5e_z.jpg

16348881508_f4e9156e0c_z.jpg

16510533046_833f15fca8_z.jpg

Jigsaw

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Good to see everything up and running BB. Looks neat !!! I'm wondering, do you have much noise pollution upstairs or in the ajoining rooms with those in ceiling speakers? Have you put any sound proofing material in ? I'm going for in ceiling surround and atmos and my room ajoins my neighbours.

Just wondering if you had any thoughts as I like to remain on friendly terms with them *biggrin*

3 x Monitor Audio WT280-IDC for fronts and centre
2 x Monitor Audio CT265-IDC for Dolby Atmos speakers
2 x Monitor Audio CT265-FX for Dolby Surround speakers

Thanks! Firstly, for true Atmos effect, your surrounds should be on the wall, at a different height than Atmos speakers. Also, FX speakers are not suitable for Atmos.

I put a soundproof underlay before laying wooden flooring on the top floors with silicon sealing all around. It isn't too bad. Besides, the ceiling speakers are in the false pelmet ceiling which is about a foot away from the actual ceiling. You can either look at ceiling speaker hoods, or go for Monitor Audio Controlled Performance range, specifically built for this purpose with fully sealed back boxes.

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/controlled-performance

Jigsaw

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I was going for the same WT265's as you initally, but due to the physical layout of my room, the monitor audio technicians recommended the FX's for surround and the IDC's for atmos. Thanks for the info, I did a seach for speaker hoods and it looks like Hoody are the ones to go for. I live in a town house, cinema room on the ground floor, living room/kitchen on the first and bedrooms on the 2nd. I'm moe concerned about upsetting my neighbours than anything else. Hopefully the Hoodies will do the job.

Please feel free to advise if you think otherwise. This is all adding up.... *sad*

What's your room layout? Any pics? Ask Monitor Audio specifically about how FX will work with Atmos, as Atmos requires directional speakers, not dispersing ones. I may be wrong.

Ceiling speakers for surrounds as well as Atmos will not work effectively. You need a height difference. Atmos adds the height experience. How will you appreciate that if even surround sound is coming from the same height? I was considering ceiling speakers for surrounds as well and a lot of research into Atmos led me to understand this.

Jigsaw

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
3283F8E1-8C3A-46FD-9A7F-E58D4A06C5E2_zpskczhernc.jpg

You can see i initially went for in wall for surrounds but the placement for the left speaker is not ideal. I dont have a wall on the left side to mount it, hence looking at going for the FXs. Based on the 2 options I gave MA they recommended FX's over the in walls, pointing the V of the tweeters into the room for best results. They also recommended the CT265-IDC for atmos due to it's high dispersion.

Jigsaw

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
Ah, now I remember your room. Where is the centre speaker going?

Yeah, I'm no expert on home cinemas and stumbled on your thread which was more or less what I wanted in terms of speakers so have been tagging along. The centre will be ceiling mounted at 45 degrees flush with the ceiling but on the skylight.

im getting blackout blinds for all doors windows and skylight

It's a family room first and the cinema bit is a bonus. It's the left surround that's the problem. To be honest, I enjoy the blockbusters and not going to be a perfectionist in terms of sound. I understand what you mean about the sound, but the room is not perfectly spec'd for speakers so it's just making the best of the rooms limitations.

the storage cabinets on the left are full height white gloss doors and fitting a speaker grill in the door may look a bit rubbish.

What do you think?

Jigsaw

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
What do you mean by "include surround effects throughout the sofa"?

So you don't think i need to worry about the balance in not having the left speaker in line with the other speakers on the left?

I really appreciate your help by the way *good*

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
@Jigsaw - My first (and last?) comments are (1) can you get the sofa away from the back wall (2) a sqaure room is always difficult and (1) may be even more important. As much furniture & soft furnishings as possible I'd say. And choose blinds to absorb some mid/high reflections. Some bass trapping would help. This all said when my own living space is far from ideal. Compromise is the key word but like me (I think) your overall system performance will be limited more by the room than the equipment. All done :)

BB - great job.

Jigsaw said:
What do you mean by "include surround effects throughout the sofa"?

So you don't think i need to worry about the balance in not having the left speaker in line with the other speakers on the left?

I really appreciate your help by the way  *good*

Just focus on where you're sitting and position your surrounds accordingly. If you want the surrounds to work for everyone sitting in the L-shaped sofa, place them towards the ends of the sofa.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
Thanks guys! The subwoofer is actually facing the sofa. It's front firing. I want to experiment different positions. It sound fabulous at the current position.

my sub is next to where I sit on our sofa, I'll give this a try and see how it works.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts