My home cinema pics

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
bigboss said:
Thanks El Hefe! :)

Son_of_SJ is coming tomorrow to check my system out.
What did he think to it?

Best for him to answer that! :)

He liked the projector, but didn't think Atmos offered much beyond his 11.1 (although Atmos is a true encoded format which you will lose with a non-Atmos configuration, and 11.1 is a pseudo configuration).
Ah okay, I thought he might like the projector.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Projectors are something else - needs to be proper dark though, with the correct stuff on the walls - tomb like - this has nothing to do with the screen its to do with light reflections from the surfaces around the screen. Learnt the importance of this the weekend just gone

I am putting this theory into practive atm for my Plasma as I cant have a PJ because of my system setup. I am hoping to improve the performance of it to the standard I experienced last weekend just on a smaller scale

Shame because PJ's are incredible but you cant have everything sadly

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
Projectors are something else - needs to be proper dark though, with the correct stuff on the walls - tomb like - this has nothing to do with the screen its to do with light reflections from the surfaces around the screen. Learnt the importance of this the weekend just gone

I am putting this theory into practive atm for my Plasma as I cant have a PJ because of my system setup. I am hoping to improve the performance of it to the standard I experienced last weekend just on a smaller scale

Shame because PJ's are incredible but you cant have everything sadly
Agreed. If you create the right environment you can get more out of your TV. My old home cinema local shop taught me that with their setup. No windows and lights that went right down and on the wall too - looked awesome!

"It has nothing to do with the screen" isn't true at all. Draper ReAct 2.1 has a grey silver screen which boosts contrast and rejects ambient light far more effectively.

Son_of_SJ will testify how the picture looked with curtains open as well as all 8 ceiling spotlights on.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
That screen will no doubt help, but I mean what you do to the room so that even when completely blacked out there is no light reflecting at all. Most people would not do this in the home but the effect it has cant be understated. I have seen great projectors look good - but this is a different league to that / anything I have ever seen before and apparenly its because of the treatment to the room.

It is to do with contrast though your right there

You don't need a batcave at all to enjoy a projector. My room's walls are all white. Reflected light from the walls doesn't hinder viewing experience. Think of Draper ReAct as a plasma. You can enjoy it even in ambient light. The screen is the key.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
BB without the correct stuff on the walls and ceilings the room will never fully blacken out. This is the same even for.my tv, in fact my tv illuminates both side walls really badly. I had never noticed this until now, i didnt realise it had an effect.

For PJ its about stopping overspill apparently.

I have the stuff coming today today to test out. I doubt you would want to do it anyway.
I am in 2 minds and i am hardcore :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
That is what i thought as well - I think the systems I saw they were using a different ratio to oversize the image and remove the black bars top and bottom so you had a full screen not letter boxed. Worked wonderfully with no negative effects.

This is likely the cause of the overspill - in your picture you have not done that - but there is still some light shinning in the room off the PJ.

Ignore me you are happy with it - which is what its all about - most bat caves I have seen use black paint etc - there is still 1 better than that which I will be trialling this weekend :)

PS you was right about a different setuo for HC to HiFi - you cant really have HiFi and a PJ as th HiFi is in the bloody way :)

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
gel said:
bigboss said:
Thanks El Hefe! :)

Son_of_SJ is coming tomorrow to check my system out.
What did he think to it?

Best for him to answer that! :)

He liked the projector, but didn't think Atmos offered much beyond his 11.1 (although Atmos is a true encoded format which you will lose with a non-Atmos configuration, and 11.1 is a pseudo configuration).

Hello chaps, especially to bigboss,

I had meant to write earlier, but I've had appointments most evenings this week, plus I'm going away very early tomorrow (Saturday) morning, back late on Sunday. So it might be until Monday that I can report fully. But in summary - Dolby Atmos not so sure, projector/screen excellent.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I absolutly love it!

Well done BB this is super stuff and glad you went for the Draper screen there. I'm going to show this setup to a friend as he is doing something similar!

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi BB

How are you getting on with the Roomie Remote ?

I'm having my installation on 30 June, the installer recommended the Pro Control remote, but it £300 and still needs programming.

So I have downloaded the basic RR app for 3 devices.

I intend to control a Apple TV, Sony BDPS6200 and Marantz SR5009 from the app. The screen will be controlled via the DC trigger on the AVR.

I've had a play on my TV system with limited success, my Samsung tv works fine, a sony BDPS570 will not work. I've noticed on the Compatibility list this model is in black (rather than blue) I haven't tried it with my current ATV yet.

Ive looked at a vid on YT and setting up activities seems quite straightforward.

Roomie works well, apart from few quirks. It cannot switch the projector on with one button. I need to toggle the projector on button.

The biggest issue is touchscreen interface. I prefer button remotes. For this very reason, we tend to use the Harmony mostly, and roomie only occasionally. In the hindsight, I would've preferred URC. Pro remote looks good. How are the reviews?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Not too bad, but it looks pretty complicated.
It requires some programming and I don't think the software is AVAILIBLE to the general public. I'm worried if I change any equipment it'll be a right faff changing the remote.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I found the Roomie Remote didn't really meet my expectations. Power toggles didn't work & it wouldn't allow Trigger use (although I think you can buy an add on).

I decided to set up my Logitech Harmony One & it works perfectly.

My Marantz SR5009 has DC trigger and is connected to the screen which means it lowers and raises when amp is powered on/off. Thing is if you just tap the off button on the Marantz remote or Logitech etc the screen goes up only a couple of cms. You need to hold down the power off button to send the instruction, I've worked out that a quick double press on the Logitech does it too.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Big Boss.

I'm rebuilding my living room (I've been rebuiling the entire house for some years now!) and am struggling to decide on the speakers to use. Originally, I intended to go for Monitor Audio Silver 6 front and center speakers with side and rear Monitor Audio in-ceiling speakers with a Subwoffer.....basically a 7.1.

However, I am now considering ditching the traditional speakers all together and going for either on-wall fronts (Soundframe) or CP-WT380 IDC in a DIY on-wall enclosure (I've checked with MA and they are suitable for this) or go the whole hog and install the CP-WT380 IDC in-wall. This latter option will cause me some pain but is dobable. I'm keen on the clean look of the in-walls but it does mean things might become tricky if we should sell the house.

However, my main concern is whether the speakers will perform. Would you be able to provide a few lines stating your feelings towards your CT280-IDC speakers? Why didn't you go for the CT380-IDC, which I think you origianlly planned to use? How much of a sound compromise is there is going for in-wall speakers when compared to traditional speakers?

Many thanks for any thougths, advice or recommendations you can offer.

Regards, PJPro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts